Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been royally screwed by my local dealer that I had been working with since February, I find myself about to purchase my RS out of state. I live in Illinois and wiil be purchasing in Texas. Understand that states have there own rules, but what are basics/watch outs for this process. Never done this before and looking for advice.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Having been royally screwed by my local dealer that I had been working with since February, I find myself about to purchase my RS out of state. I live in Illinois and wiil be purchasing in Texas. Understand that states have there own rules, but what are basics/watch outs for this process. Never done this before and looking for advice.
Dealerships can handle taxes one of two ways.

1. They will collect your local taxes and add it to the price like normal. They will then send that money over to your tax collector.
2. They will not collect taxes at all and you will have to pay those directly to cook county (assumption) to register and tag the vehicle.

End result.. either option results in the same thing basically. The only impact would have if you did not plan to put down enough cash to cover the taxes, let alone any part of the vehicle's price. This is probably unlikely so if they won't collect and forward them on for you just subtract your taxes from your down payment so that you have that cash available for your corrupt local government ;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealerships can handle taxes one of two ways.

1. They will collect your local taxes and add it to the price like normal. They will then send that money over to your tax collector.
2. They will not collect taxes at all and you will have to pay those directly to cook county (assumption) to register and tag the vehicle.

End result.. either option results in the same thing basically. The only impact would have if you did not plan to put down enough cash to cover the taxes, let alone any part of the vehicle's price. This is probably unlikely so if they won't collect and forward them on for you just subtract your taxes from your down payment so that you have that cash available for your corrupt local government ;)
What about initial title/registration?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

i am buying out of state as well and it will require me to get a new title issued/retitle the car. then local taxes and a few fees for the dmv paperwork.

found all the info and forms i needed on my state dmv site

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my experience the dealer will charge their local title and registration, that way they can put temp tags on your car, and put the title in your name. You'll then have about 30-60 days (don't remember exactly) to register the car in Illinois. At least that's what I remember.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In my experience the dealer will charge their local title and registration, that way they can put temp tags on your car, and put the title in your name. You'll then have about 30-60 days (don't remember exactly) to register the car in Illinois. At least that's what I remember.
Very similar process in Texas, I bought out of state and had 30 days to register the car in state.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

You will pay for a title/registration and then have to deal with registering the car to get the IL title/registration when you get home. In most states I would imagine you just need a temp tag/reg. That's how Florida is if you buy a car here and take it out of state but you'll want to check with your local DMV and also the DMV in the state you are buying from to be sure. The dealer should handle the local part but it would be good to know the fees going into it. Also, your dealer should be able to tell you if they'll collect the taxes and such for you or if you'll have to pay it yourself locally when you get back to Chicago. I've bought a car where I had to pay locally and almost bought on in Nebraska and that dealer was going to collect and transfer there but the car sold before I could arrange a local inspection so that didn't happen.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I was told by three dealers that they now regularly collect the taxes due in the end registration's state, because before people were taking the car from the dealer saying they were going to register in another state but then exporting the car, leaving the dealer on the hook for sales taxes in the original state, because someone has to pay sales tax at some point.

But yes, I totally agree with checking your state's DMV laws on this to ensure you get it right. They will tell you exactly what is needed. Make sure you check about smog laws & certifications, too. It should all be there.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
DeltaT
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing