Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to my dealer next week to order my RS. Any recommendations of which online site to advertise my modded 2013 ST? Someone mentioned Autotrader. Anything better?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Carmax.

I hate to say, but you'll have a hard time trying to privately sell your ST. I sat on mine for three months with a handful of inquires but nothing serious. Carmax offered me a surprising amount which I took. It sat on their lot for nearly another three months before they either sold it or sent it to auction.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Carmax.

I hate to say, but you'll have a hard time trying to privately sell your ST. I sat on mine for three months with a handful of inquires but nothing serious. Carmax offered me a surprising amount which I took. It sat on their lot for nearly another three months before they either sold it or sent it to auction.

Good luck!
That is surprising , typically CarMax only offers wholesale.

Where I live there is IQ autobuyer which will automatically add $200 to a CarMax bid; sorry, don't know what areas IQ autobuyers does business :confused:

You also might consider joining the ST Forum and trying to sell there. :star:

Not sure if Craig's list or eBay are avenues you would want to consider.

:smiley_simmons: Good Luck in getting a great price

YMMV,

MidCow3 :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Carmax pays wholesale. No reason for them not too, they can just buy one at auction.

They offered me 15.5k for my GTI the other day, about $1k under rough trade in.

You will always have better success selling privately unless the market is super saturated.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
i sold my 2014 ST3 in late summer with around 14k miles on it for $21,500. It was in perfect shape. I only got one inquiry on it and it sold to that guy. Out of curiously it left it on auto trader until last week. It only had about 3 more interested buyers in many months. I was shocked that i couldn't "sell" it may times over. It was fully loaded, clean, garage kept, just about flawless. Of course i wouldnt have sold it if i wasnt ordering the RS. My $21,500.00 has been sitting with the dealership since the day I sold the ST.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
i sold my 2014 ST3 in late summer with around 14k miles on it for $21,500. It was in perfect shape. I only got one inquiry on it and it sold to that guy. Out of curiously it left it on auto trader until last week. It only had about 3 more interested buyers in many months. I was shocked that i couldn't "sell" it may times over. It was fully loaded, clean, garage kept, just about flawless. Of course i wouldnt have sold it if i wasnt ordering the RS. My $21,500.00 has been sitting with the dealership since the day I sold the ST.
Just one question? Why does the dealership have your $21,500 instead of you short-term investing it even if only Money Market ? :confused:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
575 Posts
Is 'Craig's' the mark down, sale, reduced to clear liquidation auction house place?

Well: that's just not right!
I went to drive an ST to scope out the Focusness intrinsic in an RS DNA. Never looked more than a passing glance at them. NEVER owning another FWD handling type again. Left me all hot and bothered in a happily hyperactive kind of way - If the ST is that good how unbelievably amazing is the RS going to be?

·
Registered
716 Posts
This may sound dumb, but why not all of them? Saying your ST is mostly stock...

cars.com, autotrader.com, craigslist.com,T ebay.com, carsoup, focus ST forums, ect. The more the better. Most of these places are free to list, and it doesn't take more than 10 minutes usually to list it on each site.

Depending on how quickly you're trying to get rid of your ST, you might have to start looking into carmax, local dealers, ect. Places that can give you a price on the day you come in.

But going back to the fist statement, if you ST is pretty far from stock you could have a hard time selling it depending on how much you're asking (IE, trying to pay your mods back).

All this being said, I will come out and say I've never sold a car yet in my life so this has all just been my thought process I've developed if I were to go through this.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Although I did recently hear this truism:

No such thing as a bad car, only a bad price!

Calm!!! Already stated the ST an impressive & great car.

Actually we were discussing motos but I have extended my creative interpretive skills and applied to the the four wheel automotive genre.
Think I need a Panadol and lie down from the exertion. :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would do cars.com, Craigslist, and ST forums first. If it doesn't sell in a month or so, try eBay. If it still doesn't sell, try carmax or just trade it in to the dealership when you buy your RS

·
Registered
149 Posts
I sold my 2015 ST using craiglist in Metro Detroit.

Car was fully loaded ST3 with moonroof and the optional wheels with all seasons and about 8k miles for 24,000.

It was tough to sell being so new and all most people just buy a brand new car. Luckily I found a fellow ST buyer who's car was totaled and they ended up with mine.

Just don't expect to much for the car it's not great on the depreciation side. Although I think the RS will hold its value much much better.

I listed it for 26k and had no offers until it was at 24k. Also Michigan has quite a Saturated ST used market.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just one question? Why does the dealership have your $21,500 instead of you short-term investing it even if only Money Market ? :confused:

YMMV,

MidCow3

soooo... here is the story on that. It's a pretty good one. I listed my car for sale via autotrader but "traded" it to the ford dealership in a "Complimentary Trade"

Here is the best way i can explain it as i am not super familiar with it

1 I found the car buyer
2 I negotiated price.
3 I brought buyer and car to ford dealership
4 dealership took car in on "trade"
5 dealership financed my buyer
6 all money from sale went to ford
7 $21,900 sitting with ford secured the 1st RS allocation they had

it was a win on so many levels here is why
1 I got private party value for my car $21,900 (dealership offered me 19k on trade) netted me $3000.00
2 I didn't have to pay sales tax again on the $21,900 (7% tax rated) saving me $1,500
3 All of the transactions happened within the ford dealership and was a great experience for the buyer and myself
4 Most buyers of cars cant pay cash and being that the Ford was technically selling my buyer the car financing was a piece of cake
5 And MOST importantly I felt like this was a awesome way to secure the RS.

The dealership didn't win as much as i did, but they didn't loose either.

1 They gained a new customer (the buyer)
2 They financed a new buyer (my buyer)
3 They kept a customer (me)
4 They sold me a new car again (RS)

A few MONTHS after i sold the ST, my buyer texted me again to say it was the best car buying experience of his life and he loves the car.

so all around everyone felt like they won and i will try and do a complimentary trade any time i can from now on. clearly the dealerships wont advertise that they can do this for you, but if you ask , and its the right car, they will. It has to be a car that they can inspect and safely sell as it becomes their liability.

i hope that all made sense as this transaction was new to me

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
soooo... here is the story on that. It's a pretty good one. I listed my car for sale via autotrader but "traded" it to the ford dealership in a "Complimentary Trade"

Here is the best way i can explain it as i am not super familiar with it

1 I found the car buyer
2 I negotiated price.
3 I brought buyer and car to ford dealership
4 dealership took car in on "trade"
5 dealership financed my buyer
6 all money from sale went to ford
7 $21,900 sitting with ford secured the 1st RS allocation they had

it was a win on so many levels here is why
1 I got private party value for my car $21,900 (dealership offered me 19k on trade) netted me $3000.00
2 I didn't have to pay sales tax again on the $21,900 (7% tax rated) saving me $1,500
3 All of the transactions happened within the ford dealership and was a great experience for the buyer and myself
4 Most buyers of cars cant pay cash and being that the Ford was technically selling my buyer the car financing was a piece of cake
5 And MOST importantly I felt like this was a awesome way to secure the RS.

The dealership didn't win as much as i did, but they didn't loose either.

1 They gained a new customer (the buyer)
2 They financed a new buyer (my buyer)
3 They kept a customer (me)
4 They sold me a new car again (RS)

A few MONTHS after i sold the ST, my buyer texted me again to say it was the best car buying experience of his life and he loves the car.

so all around everyone felt like they won and i will try and do a complimentary trade any time i can from now on. clearly the dealerships wont advertise that they can do this for you, but if you ask , and its the right car, they will. It has to be a car that they can inspect and safely sell as it becomes their liability.

i hope that all made sense as this transaction was new to me

Johnccooper,

Wow! It actually sounds like you got a pretty good deal!. But I am not sure I would like that much of my money tied up; but since you are sure you are getting the RS I guess it is not an issue.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
196 Posts
Johnccooper,

Wow! It actually sounds like you got a pretty good deal!. But I am not sure I would like that much of my money tied up; but since you are sure you are getting the RS I guess it is not an issue.

YMMV,

MidCow3
they only real downside to this was i bought an old subaru outback as temp car and that turned out to be a money pit. sold that and got a newer old subaru outback. i love the outbacks.. didnt love my wrx...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts