Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought an RS sight unseen & had it shipped 1200-2000 miles across the country on the back of an open carrier?

The RS sits low & is it possible for these guys to load & unload the car without damaging the front bumper & undercarriage? I assume so but man it makes me so nervous to even think about it.

I ask these things because often times there are better vehicles with lower mileage for sale out-of-state.

If you bought your RS online & had it shipped can you share your experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am looking to sell my RS and would be shipping it through my local Ford dealership. I would think that would settle the buyers nerves as to condition and proper shipping. Look it up in the for sale thread. 2017 Stealth RS as new in every way.

Craig (drfocusrs)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Has anyone bought an RS sight unseen & had it shipped 1200-2000 miles across the country on the back of an open carrier?

The RS sits low & is it possible for these guys to load & unload the car without damaging the front bumper & undercarriage? I assume so but man it makes me so nervous to even think about it.

I ask these things because often times there are better vehicles with lower mileage for sale out-of-state.

I think I may have replied on a different thread, but I too bought my car from out of state, but it was new and I opted to drive it back and make a road trip out of it.

I would never buy a car sight unseen. If it's a used car, I would find a local independent shop to do a PPI (prepurchase inspection) of the car.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with vehicle shipping, but I would definitely ask about their ramps, their ability to load and unload lowered cars, any insurance they provide, any protection they put on the car (to avoid rock chips, etc.), to they take pics and inspect the car before and after loading and when it leaves the source and gets to the destination, etc.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You can ship, the high end services can handle the height, they ship Lamborghini ‘s across the US, they can ship our car. I purchased mine from a gentleman that was about 10 hour drive away, and towed it back. The uhaul trailers are not friendly to our car lol. Had to get some boards under the wheels

·
Registered
10 Posts

I bought my wife's RS from a Ford dealer across the country from me and had it shipped here. Was supposed to be in a closed carrier, but it showed up on the top back of an open carrier. Other than it being dirty, there was a large dent in the driver side roof pillar (above drivers rear door). Dealer took care of it for me at a local shop, and all is good now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you know where the car is located and throw a few bucks to a local who can help you out with recording all issues he or she finds with the vehicle prior to shipping is your best bet. I have had two cars shipped to me in NJ. First was a Porsche and second was a vette. Both times I had sourced a local on the forums to help me out by inspecting the vehicle prior to loading for travel.

The problem I ran into was I need to get a temp tag with title for my insurance company, I had to have the titles mailed to me where I took care of the rest in NJ and got the cars registered, once they were Registered I mailed the temp tags overnight to the guy helping me and he installed them on the car. I also had soured another local company with an enclosed trailer that I knew from SCCA and NASA to bring the cars across country for me. The company was insured and provide me details to the insurance policy and what it covers, they also provided me a gps tracking number where I could log on and check location. Helped ease my stress. The guys were also nice and shot me a text with location and all.

Over all would I recommend the experience not really but if you find some good people to work with and you feel you can trust them it eases the stress. Reality was it took about a month of non stop phone calls and running around to get everything I need to do done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi There,
I bought one from a Non Ford dealer recently sight unseen but was a 2016 200 Mile collectors car.
It had full Carfax with all maintenance history from Ford garages showing HG change etc.
Shipped from Texas to Florida. Enclosed was $300 more than open but well worth it I thought.
When it got here photo's didn't do it justice it was like dealer showroom new. Very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealers are another topic all together. I called about an RS in FL, however they would not sell a car to a California resident. Also found one in TX, however that dealership won’t sell the car unless I sign everything in person. It’s just a reminder to me of why buying a car is so exhausting.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Dealers are another topic all together. I called about an RS in FL, however they would not sell a car to a California resident. Also found one in TX, however that dealership won’t sell the car unless I sign everything in person. It’s just a reminder to me of why buying a car is so exhausting.

Fly and drive. I've done it before. All you need is a backpack with a change of underwear, t-shirt, toiletries, and a couple of rolls of blue painters tape to tape up the front end. Enjoy the drive back you'll have a blast. You could fly on Friday morning, and you'll be back by Sunday night. I've driven Cali to TX, TX to Cali, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know why FL dealers won’t sell an RS that’s going to be registered in CA?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone bought one through Carvana? They advertise a lot & lower prices as well. They’re definitely in the market to move vehicles. Their website is very user friendly & breaks down the total cost, cash or finance prices + no dealer fees & a short delivery window.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyone bought one through Carvana? They advertise a lot & lower prices as well. They’re definitely in the market to move vehicles. Their website is very user friendly & breaks down the total cost, cash or finance prices + no dealer fees & a short delivery window.

I have not, but I have sold a car to Carvana. A couple of the guys over on the RS facebook group have sold their cars to Carvana. I would say it's not a bad place to shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Yes... went through this exact scenario in June. Shipped an RS from NC to CA, on an open carrier.

As you point out, overall pricing/value tend to be better on out-of-state vehicles (at least for those of us in the RS market on the west coast - CA dealers still treat this car like a unicorn). In order to track down a stock, low-mileage, fair-market priced RS, I had to expand my search area nationwide. After 7 weeks of grinding, I finally found one in NC.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is do your due diligence:

• Ask LOTS of questions about the vehicle history from the seller (PP or dealer)
  • Get a copy of the Carfax
  • Make sure you get a complete maintenance/service history report (including verification of HG recall if applicable) straight from Ford's OASIS system.
  • Schedule a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) AND speak directly with the service advisor and/or mechanic afterwards to go over the results. Doing this saved me from making a potentially expensive mistake in one instance and, ultimately, gave me the confidence to finally pull the trigger on the pristine SG RS that now sits in my garage ;)
  • Also spend some time researching the pertinent DMV requirements for your state to register out-of-state vehicles. In my particular case for CA, it was a bit tricky, but doable.
If at any point during the process, something doesn't feel right (about the seller or vehicle), don't be afraid to walk. I had to kiss about a dozen frogs, before I felt comfortable moving forward.

Honestly, it's A LOT of work. Especially if you purchase private party (which I did). And there are plenty of potential land mines to navigate when you're attempting to negotiate a $30k+ purchase and coordinate transportation on a vehicle that's nearly 2,700 miles away. Stuff that keeps you up at night. But it can be done.

When all was said and done, my OTD to purchase, PPI, transport and register the vehicle from NC to CA, was still cheaper than purchasing a comparable RS here in CA. Just crazy.

Would I do it again? To enjoy this little piece of car enthusiast history... hell yeah!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes... went through this exact scenario in June. Shipped an RS from NC to CA, on an open carrier.

As you point out, overall pricing/value tend to be better on out-of-state vehicles (at least for those of us in the RS market on the west coast - CA dealers still treat this car like a unicorn). In order to track down a stock, low-mileage, fair-market priced RS, I had to expand my search area nationwide. After 7 weeks of grinding, I finally found one in NC.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is do your due diligence:

• Ask LOTS of questions about the vehicle history from the seller (PP or dealer)
  • Get a copy of the Carfax
  • Make sure you get a complete maintenance/service history report (including verification of HG recall if applicable) straight from Ford's OASIS system.
  • Schedule a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) AND speak directly with the service advisor and/or mechanic afterwards to go over the results. Doing this saved me from making a potentially expensive mistake in one instance and, ultimately, gave me the confidence to finally pull the trigger on the pristine SG RS that now sits in my garage ;)
  • Also spend some time researching the pertinent DMV requirements for your state to register out-of-state vehicles. In my particular case for CA, it was a bit tricky, but doable.
If at any point during the process, something doesn't feel right (about the seller or vehicle), don't be afraid to walk. I had to kiss about a dozen frogs, before I felt comfortable moving forward.

Honestly, it's A LOT of work. Especially if you purchase private party (which I did). And there are plenty of potential land mines to navigate when you're attempting to negotiate a $30k+ purchase and coordinate transportation on a vehicle that's nearly 2,700 miles away. Stuff that keeps you up at night. But it can be done.

When all was said and done, my OTD to purchase, PPI, transport and register the vehicle from NC to CA, was still cheaper than purchasing a comparable RS here in CA. Just crazy.

Would I do it again? To enjoy this little piece of car enthusiast history... hell yeah!

The shipping is what worries me the most. Putting a Focus RS on the back of an open hauler & driving 2000+ miles from the east coast to CA. & hoping that the vehicle doesn’t get damaged. Another concern I have is loading the car. The RS sits slow & I am skeptical if it can be loaded without scraping the front bumper.

I figure if I could find one at a Ford Dealer with under 5k miles then it’s safe, however not physically seeing the car would also keep me up all night. I’m also in CA., so the prices are typically 5-6k more vs. prices in NC or FL etc.

It’s amazing on how many dealers I call or email that act oblivious to the HG issues. I’m also seeing that this is a car that’s often Lemon lawed which makes me nervous, so the less mileage the better & im honestly hoping to find one that was first sold in late 2018 so it has plenty of 3/36 left.

Also, about the shipping. I’m not sure who you used? But what a headache to schedule a pickup & prep the car & also have to sit around & wait for a delivery date. It’s almost like you need to take a weeks vacation just to coordinate all of this stuff.

How are you liking the vehicle so far?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Does anyone know why FL dealers won’t sell an RS that’s going to be registered in CA?

Maybe their car in not CA emissions compliant? That would be my guess anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The shipping is what worries me the most. Putting a Focus RS on the back of an open hauler & driving 2000+ miles from the east coast to CA. & hoping that the vehicle doesn’t get damaged. Another concern I have is loading the car. The RS sits slow & I am skeptical if it can be loaded without scraping the front bumper.

I figure if I could find one at a Ford Dealer with under 5k miles then it’s safe, however not physically seeing the car would also keep me up all night. I’m also in CA., so the prices are typically 5-6k more vs. prices in NC or FL etc.

It’s amazing on how many dealers I call or email that act oblivious to the HG issues. I’m also seeing that this is a car that’s often Lemon lawed which makes me nervous, so the less mileage the better & im honestly hoping to find one that was first sold in late 2018 so it has plenty of 3/36 left.

Also, about the shipping. I’m not sure who you used? But what a headache to schedule a pickup & prep the car & also have to sit around & wait for a delivery date. It’s almost like you need to take a weeks vacation just to coordinate all of this stuff.

How are you liking the vehicle so far?

As long as you work with a reputable company, I wouldn't worry too much about transport damage. All Tier 1 transport firms carry sufficient liability insurance to cover any possible issues. If you consider the volume of vehicles that are transported via open carrier across the country everyday, the percentage of vehicles damaged during transport is extremely low. Unless you're talking about hauling an exotic or classic/vintage vehicle, open carrier will suffice.

A few things I'd suggest:
  • Request plenty of pictures (interior, exterior, engine bay) and a video walk around of the car prior to pickup. During the loading process, have the seller record a video as well. Should you need to file a claim, these could be invaluable.
  • Check the weather forecast for the time frame you're considering transporting the vehicle. You can alleviate many potential transport hazards, by having mother nature on your side. That's why I specifically timed my search during the late spring/summer.
  • Have the seller send you a copy of the shipping manifest (bill of lading) immediately after the vehicle is loaded. This is the most important document in the entire transaction. I was fortunate that the transport company I used was extremely meticulous and thorough in examining the car, panel by panel, for any imperfections prior to loading it on the trailer. They took about 30min going over the whole car. That's the level of detail you want, b/c anything they find, however insignificant, will be noted on the BOL.
  • When the car is delivered pull out that BOL and go over the car with a fine tooth comb. Ask the delivery driver to point out anything on the BOL you're unsure about. If you discover anything new, not noted on the BOL, document it and take pictures.
Inherently, there's always a risk with this type of transaction. Believe me, prior to this purchase, I'd never bought a vehicle sight unseen, let alone from the other side of the country. Took me wayyyyy out of my comfort zone. But if you do your homework and take some extra precautionary steps, you should be able to mitigate most of your concerns. The entire process was actually very smooth - from scheduling through delivery, it took less than 10 days (6 days in transit). The vehicle was loaded, transported and delivered professionally and on time. If you're interested in the contact info of the carrier I used, just shoot me a PM.

Dealers were definitely hit or miss when it came to their knowledge and understanding of the HG history. Again, why it's so crucial you do your own sleuthing to get the necessary info, and never rely on someone's "word."

LL buybacks are certainly becoming more prevalent on the secondary market, but relatively easy to spot. Just heed the old adage, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Loving the RS! Raw, visceral, unapologetic about what it is... and what it isn't. True driver's car. Sadly, probably one of the last we might get our hands on. Would've bought one new in 2016, but wasn't about to pay a $10-$15k premium the CA stealerships were gouging out of buyers. Patience is a virtue ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe their car in not CA emissions compliant? That would be my guess anyways.
Before I got my RS in CA I was looking at getting it out of state and there are only rules for a "new" car. A used car can have either US or California emissions certification and can be registered.

What is defined as "new" is generally any car with less than 7500 miles.

( see here for all the details https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29 )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts