Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, been flip flopping on a $26k RS in my area with 23,431 miles on it, up from the initial salvage title at around 20,136 from the initial salvage auction it was on. The third owner got into some kind of a front end accident twice before it got auctioned off and rebuilt and is now sitting with a local used dealer who seems to deal primarily in rebuilts. Visually now it looks to be fine from the outside and interior looks fine, and the price is low but I don't plan to offer even that much because of its baggage (I'm thinking $21k at most and just walk away if they refuse). I fully plan to get it checked out by either a Ford dealership or other reputable shop, but I still have my concerns about it even if it appears to be 100% fine. What kind of issues could I expect to find from two front end collisions? I know to keep an eye out for bent frames and the wrong parts, but my bigger worry is the lack of Ford warranty, driving off the lot, and then in no time having issues forcing me to part with it. What should I be asking a mechanic, dealer or otherwise, to be doing to make sure what I'm being sold is actually what's there? Can I trust the engine after it's been abused in two accidents?

Alternatively, is this even a GOOD idea to begin with? Do RS's even appear at this price below 40k miles with a clean title in good shape? At this price it's a fairly affordable car for me to obtain in the scheme of things, but I'm not necessarily against saving longer to just pay the difference between a $20k loan, which is the maximum I'm willing to take out, and the rest of the cost of the vehicle. It would just take me substantially longer, and my current '99 Tahoe costs me a lot in gas and maintenance is starting to pile up... enough to make payments worth it just to get it off my hands.

Sorry about all the questions, but I have been seriously considering it for a little while, and don't like getting scammed. And I figure if there's anyone to talk to about this car, it would be this forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Although I haven't watched Samcrac's channel after he spent an entire episode trashing Rich Rebuilds, watch his videos on rebuilding the RS for all the problems he had.

21k would not be a bad price, but I don't think they'll take it. At 26k you're not too far from a clean title RS. Save the money and the hassle, especially if you don't know who fixed it or the extent of the damage.

Have you done an internet search on the VIN? Check out the crash pics to help make a decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've long since looked up the photos and the damage doesn't look totally terrible, but of course it is no walk in the park either. I've shown it to a couple friends, which has had mixed opinions, with some saying it looks better than expected and others who still say to stay away. I myself am wary of rebuilts, but keen on getting fully repaired goods for low prices. Enough to take a look at least.

Meanwhile I found a clean title 17 in a different part of the country for the same price, so at least it seems like a sub-30k RS is attainable. I'm gonna check out the rebuilt regardless just to say I did it, $30ish and some driving time in one can't hurt to say no at the end of the day, and just keep saving if that's the case. Either I or my CU find a cheap one I can buy sooner rather than later, or I save and have enough for a full price one. I know my CU works with an auto broker of some kind, and the fees they charge would probably cost as much as flying out and buying one somewhere else to drive it back, less considering I wouldn't have to miss work for it lol. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with working with a broker for this type of want for a such a low price point, I've never done it at all though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts