Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 2017 I would like to purchase from a dealership, but when I test drove a CEL came on. Asking about it, turns out an unknown aftermarket exhaust is on it, and doesnt have a cat on the back. Apparently it does have a high flow cat further up. Dealer says they are going to take it to a dyno and have the ecu tuned to get rid of CEL. Also noticed when starting a awd warning comes up that says it needs checked. Dealer says this is related to the cat CEL, and will also be fixed. Price is okay and drives totally fine. If this exhaust was oem I would already own it, but I live in Massachusetts and am subject to annual inspections. Anyone have insight on whether this ecu tune/flash is going to cause red flags on inspections, or prevent ford dealer from performing any work on the car? Dealer said a shop wouldnt be able to tell anything was done to the ecu, but we all know dealers will say whatever it takes to get the sale.

·
Registered
34 Posts
State of Maine also has yearly inspections, I don't know the specific laws in Mass, but in the state of Maine there should be a knew sticker when sold. If they sell it under those circumstances they could be held liable.

Not 100% certain here but I thought from factory the RS only has one Cat in the downpipe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As to the number of cats, I'm not wholly sure they really new what was going on with the exhaust since they just got it on the lot. Its not stock though, its missing the butterfly valve thing on the left pipe. They did say they guarantee it will pass inspection as part of the deal. Just not sure if Ford will touch it with an altered tune... or if they truly couldnt tell. Also, if the awd service warning on startup is realistically related to the tune. Gut instinct is to walk away, but the price is right.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Most dealers will not honor a warranty with a car with an aftermarket tune. From your description, it most likely has an aftermarket exhaust system. Replacing the CAT is very expensive so be careful there. Unless you are willing to assume the risks, I would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'd pass, but if you really like this one have them put the stock calibration on the ECU and see if you get a CEL. If you can get them to throw in an extended warranty then maybe, but if I were you I'd keep looking especially if this was to be your daily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on guys you were supposed to convince me it would be okay and the dealer was telling the truth, not speak the common sense I know to be true deep down! But seriously thanks for the input, it's want I needed to hear. The search continues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts