Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Haha an old, but still good video.

I'm all for #savethemanuals, but I prefer a paddle where I don't have to take a hand off the wheel when it comes to supercars.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It's like 3 years old. It happened right around the time that I was working an internship in Pittsburgh, which is where that car resides. If I'm not mistaken it's owned by a lady in her 60's.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
She's got a pretty deep voice.

j/k ;-)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Haha an old, but still good video.

I'm all for #savethemanuals, but I prefer a paddle where I don't have to take a hand off the wheel when it comes to supercars.
There is something to be said about whacking the paddle on something like a Scuderia and instantly being punched in the back to build up the wailing flat plane 8 screaming behind your ear, then Bang, hit that paddle to start the process all over again, instantly. Gratification with an ear to ear smile resonate from the process, then you think what if I had a third pedal hmmmmm? Would the process be more rewarding, could I possibly be more excited from having to do more work? I honestly think no, a car of that caliber has lightening quick responses with everything you do, and the shifts really complete that theme and package. Not to mention missing a shift in a mid engine car usually doesn't end well, hell sometimes braking lightly with the wheel at the slightest angle can lead into a "oh ****" slide. This and really any supercar, are vehicles that you can definitely argue 3 pedals will only make it worse, take away from the experience by overwhelming the senses, a frustration that resonates from always playing catch up. I also see it as a challenge, but one you know can never be perfect, 100% of the time, like an automated manual can.

I guess it truly comes down to your purpose and what you by the car for. A toy or a mountain carver will always be more fun with 3 pedals as no matter how fast the vehicle is you will never be able to stay at that pace for long on public roads, having to work harder only adds to the enjoyment not take away. Honestly, its sometimes the slower vehicles that bring the most joy on roads like that anyways. As a Tech piece, or be the best you can kind of view, there is definitely something to be said about just holding that wheel and only concentrating on looking, braking, turning, and applying power. Supercars already overwhelm the gearhead senses with their performance and character, and it allows you to focus more on dancing on that limit.

I could go either way when it comes to supercars, but I will take a stick on anything but, any time, any condition, any road #Savethemanuals :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I honestly think no, a car of that caliber has lightening quick responses with everything you do, and the shifts really complete that theme and package. Not to mention missing a shift in a mid engine car usually doesn't end well, hell sometimes braking lightly with the wheel at the slightest angle can lead into a "oh ****" slide. This and really any supercar, are vehicles that you can definitely argue 3 pedals will only make it worse, take away from the experience by overwhelming the senses, a frustration that resonates from always playing catch up. I also see it as a challenge, but one you know can never be perfect, 100% of the time, like an automated manual can.
I totally agree. A friend has a Carrera GT that I have had the fortune of putting 2k+ miles on and I have more respect for that car than any other supercar I have driven. It's enough of a handful to control when driven aggressively that I don't feel the need to take a hand off the wheel lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts