Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first off let me state...I'm simply posting what I have seen, don't shoot the messenger!! And the fact that I have no idea where this really should have been posted, (Focus RS Photos and Videos, Detroit NAIAS, Official Nitrous Blue Thread...?)

I went to the Detroit NAIAS yesterday, and seen the Focus RS for the first time. The one we have here is the Nitrous Blue, which is the color I have on order. One of the first things I noticed was that the painted plastic, does not really match the rest of the car. I remember someone on here saying they were worried about it because they noticed it on their white Focus ST (I can't remember who said it). The first two pictures are from my phone, the third is from @tbone I will say that the first picture doesn't represent the color very well. I was looking at my phone and looking at the car, and the picture definitely makes it look lighter that in person.

I can tell this is one of those things that is going to be able to be seen at the right angle, with the right lighting. I'm hoping it's the ridiculous lighting in the auto show, and the fact that this isn't a customer car.

Am I crazy or does it seem off? I feel like they could have got a little closer on this. I'm not up on my paint knowledge, and I know others are on here. Any input? Will this get worse over time? Is the Nitrous Blue going to be really difficult to touch up any paint? :numbness:

12511291_10206958266688687_924912204_o.jpg
12620695_10206958267248701_1400017079_o.jpg
12620635_10153803636833376_303239672_o.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,951 Posts
This is such a common issue with vehicles in general. A lot of it is probably just lighting but it's no secret that paint reacts differently on different materials.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is such a common issue with vehicles in general. A lot of it is probably just lighting but it's no secret that paint reacts differently on different materials.
I understand that it reacts differently on different surfaces, but I guess I've just never really seen it that off on a new car. I have on a car that's had sun fading on one type of surface and not the other. I can't for the life of me find the comment made on the forum about the guys white Focus ST :|

·
Super Moderator
1,951 Posts
I understand that it reacts differently on different surfaces, but I guess I've just never really seen it that off on a new car. I have on a car that's had sun fading on one type of surface and not the other. I can't for the life of me find the comment made on the forum about the guys white Focus ST :|
LOL, was it a Focus or a Fiesta? I think I know the thread you're talking about. I ordered white too...I'll cry if it's THAT bad.

·
Registered
892 Posts
LOL, was it a Focus or a Fiesta? I think I know the thread you're talking about. I ordered white too...I'll cry if it's THAT bad.
Yeah, I remember the fiesta ST paint thread too. I honestly don't remember noticing a difference in the pai t at the time I was taking the pics, but looking through what I shot now, a difference can be clearly seen in some of the pics

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're right, it was a Fiesta. And yes, it does have me a bit concerned. I know I'm sort of nit-picking some might say, but what is a big deal to some isn't to others, and vice versa. Just thought I'd throw my observation out there!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would just chalk it up to a pre-production prototype fit and finish.

Because this is in Detroit already, it probably means it didn't come off of the production line since the "official" production only just began. I wouldn't worry until we start seeing some real fit and finish issues on reviewer's cars (they would also have mentioned it if it was an issue in the recent "First Drives" in Valencia).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't worry @shelby341 I already posted in the official frozen white thread about this with photo's of my Fiesta ST :shame:. White tends to be the hardest color to match properly and it really shows. I posted this on a Fiesta ST forum as well and got some good responses from people in the industry, might be worth a read if you're curious. Has anyone noticed the slight difference in color between metal and plastic body parts?
Thank you! I couldn't remember who it was but I knew I had seen the pictures and read about it. And thanks for the link, I will check it out!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would just chalk it up to a pre-production prototype fit and finish.

Because this is in Detroit already, it probably means it didn't come off of the production line since the "official" production only just began. I wouldn't worry until we start seeing some real fit and finish issues on reviewer's cars (they would also have mentioned it if it was an issue in the recent "First Drives" in Valencia).
This car that's at the Detroit NAIAS right now was actually at the LA show as well same VIN number. I was hoping that would be the issue, and that's true about the first drives. Reporters really like to rip cars apart for any issue lol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I saw the white RS in San Antonio...there was no discernible difference between the bumper and the rest of the car. I hope it is just a pre production issue.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've noticed bumpers and panels not match on several of the press/show cars. They could easly be damaged during shipping or portering or from hooning around. I doubt production paint will be off that much.

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Everything just seems so upside down over there.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I saw the white RS in San Antonio...there was no discernible difference between the bumper and the rest of the car. I hope it is just a pre production issue.
View attachment 4056
Why is the car on the CEILING? Spider RS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts