Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been big on trying out new bulbs to see what works best. I thought I would post a few pics comparing stock, philips and autobeams LED. Pics are not the greatest, but it should give you an idea on what to expect. Overall, the autobeams are incredibly bright and throw a great colour.

First two pics are stock driver, philips passenger. Low then High
Cloud Atmosphere Automotive lighting Hood Sky

Cloud Water Atmosphere Automotive lighting Liquid

Second two pics are Autobeam LED drivers, philips passenger. I know the pic makes the philips look more yellow, but i believe its just because the LED was so much brighter
Atmosphere Liquid Cloud Automotive lighting Water

Atmosphere Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Cloud

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
No CANBUS errors, sweet.

Plug and play?

how much it set you back?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,467 Posts
I cannot remember what the philips went for, but any locals can have them for free.

The Autobeams were plug and play and no errors on my drive into work today. They were £100 +S&H, but they have 30% off which covered the shipping. Landed to my door in 3 business days.
Interesting! Hearing that they're plug and play definitely makes them more enticing. I might bite on those. Maybe even pick up the LED fogs to save a little on shipping.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have always been big on trying out new bulbs to see what works best. I thought I would post a few pics comparing stock, philips and autobeams LED. Pics are not the greatest, but it should give you an idea on what to expect. Overall, the autobeams are incredibly bright and throw a great colour.

First two pics are stock driver, philips passenger. Low then High
View attachment 356605
View attachment 356607

Second two pics are Autobeam LED drivers, philips passenger. I know the pic makes the philips look more yellow, but i believe its just because the LED was so much brighter
View attachment 356609
View attachment 356610
I’ve been pretty happy with the stock headlights. But I recently replaced my wife’s headlights and fogs with LED and they’ve been great. Between that and your photos I decided why not 🤷‍♂️ Current promo is 35% off. So with shipping it worked out to about $126 USD. Still not cheap, but I guess I needed a stocking stuffer anyway…

·
Registered
242 Posts
Which Philips version did you have? I recently switched from from Philips X-tremevision gen2 to OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Laser. An obvious improvement. Would the autobeam LED 'win' against the Osrams? Having just spend $267 on the Osrams, the autobeams would need to be seriously better.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which Philips version did you have? I recently switched from from Philips X-tremevision gen2 to OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Laser. An obvious improvement. Would the autobeam LED 'win' against the Osrams? Having just spend $267 on the Osrams, the autobeams would need to be seriously better.
They were the gen 2 that you listed above.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Interesting! Hearing that they're plug and play definitely makes them more enticing. I might bite on those. Maybe even pick up the LED fogs to save a little on shipping.
There was another mention with a potential issue with the Autobeam converter position: Best headlight bulb?

For my purpose, the Philips X-tremevision gen2 are bright enough and in theory should last the life of the car. The RS headlights don't shine bright enough towards the very front of the car so I upgraded the foglights with these - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0875FSBD5 and run them on all the time when it's dark.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,467 Posts
That was user error and I haven't had an issue with the lights since. I highly recommend the Autobeam bulbs.
So it was just an issue of where you placed that inline converter, right? I've never done a LED conversion, so I'm assuming I just need to mount that inline box somewhere so it's not bouncing around?

·
Registered
766 Posts
There was another mention with a potential issue with the Autobeam converter position: Best headlight bulb?

For my purpose, the Philips X-tremevision gen2 are bright enough and in theory should last the life of the car. The RS headlights don't shine bright enough towards the very front of the car so I upgraded the foglights with these - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0875FSBD5 and run them on all the time when it's dark.
The issue was where the converter was installed and it seems like it was resolved by moving it a few inches.

Though I’m sure either bulb is an upgrade over stock.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
So it was just an issue of where you placed that inline converter, right? I've never done a LED conversion, so I'm assuming I just need to mount that inline box somewhere so it's not bouncing around?
That is correct. It has adhesive to secure it, I just put it right under the heatsink which melted the adhesive. 🤦‍♂️

1 - 16 of 16 Posts