Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of planning out my RS build for my 17 Frozen White. This will including building the block to handle more power. I have began some preliminary research to determine how to get to my end goal. I know what building a factory 2.3L block entails; however the 2.0TS and 2.0ST blocks I do not. I know quite a few builders use the 2.0TS block. The trouble I am having is locating what parts, machining, etc. that need to be done to accommodate the block.

What is the current list of additional parts needed to get the 2.0TS to work in the RS? What is the part number for the correct block? What machining needs completed, the galley plugs (which I have read are pop rivets), which head gasket to use? If you have any other information that would be useful to my planning, I’d greatly appreciate it.

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Search this site. #diyenginebuild is a good place to start.
I have read through that thread. It seems that block you built is a 2.3L block correct? I’m looking for a 2.0TS block and what needs to be done with it. How is that block running?

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don’t need the 2ltr block if you build the 2.3 correctly
I am definitely leaning more towards building a 2.3L for the ease and convenience. I see you have built one for your RS; how is it holding up?

· Registered
885 Posts
I am definitely leaning more towards building a 2.3L for the ease and convenience. I see you have built one for your RS; how is it holding up?
It’s been totally reliable so far (565whp).
I’ve Done the usual Deck-brace, rods, pistons balance shaft delete, Diode tri metal bearings.

The car does various duties Tracks days, shopping trips, The Ring, Sunday road trips I guess you’d call them canyon runs.

Yep she’s still health 3 years later

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s been totally reliable so far (565whp).
I’ve Done the usual Deck-brace, rods, pistons balance shaft delete, Diode tri metal bearings.

The car does various duties Tracks days, shopping trips, The Ring, Sunday road trips I guess you’d call them canyon runs.

Yep she’s still health 3 years later
That is good to hear. I’m piecing together a list for my build currently; 2.3L block is the decision I made. I just have to tie together some loose ends and get some questions answered before purchasing pieces.

· Registered
122 Posts
Glad to see that there are a few of us who haven't given up on the 2.3! The non RS short and long blocks are becoming more affordable. Any idea if the built for rear wheel drive motors can be modified to fit the front wheel drive cars, such as the Focus, and in my case Fusion?
Motor vehicle Font Engineering Gas Machine

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Ford Performance short block (eco beast) is for RWD or FWD. From memory their was just a boss to remove to allow fitment into the RS
Do you know if a bare 2.3L block comes with oil squirters or do they needs to be purchased separately?

· Registered
822 Posts
Glad to see that there are a few of us who haven't given up on the 2.3! The non RS short and long blocks are becoming more affordable. Any idea if the built for rear wheel drive motors can be modified to fit the front wheel drive cars, such as the Focus, and in my case Fusion?
View attachment 364667
Whoever buys this: you need the water pump housing that came with that exact block. They aren’t interchangeable. Also there is extra oil piping not present on the RS, this might be a problem with the RS sump and / or RS sump baffles.

· Registered
122 Posts
Whoever buys this: you need the water pump housing that came with that exact block. They aren’t interchangeable. Also there is extra oil piping not present on the RS, this might be a problem with the RS sump and / or RS sump baffles.
Thanks for sharing the additional information!!
I found another cheap motor on eBay. Seller says it is a 2.3 Mustang motor, but it looks more like a 2.0, unless Ford made more changes to the 2020+ (2.3) motor than I'm aware of!??
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Rim

Table Furniture Dress Wood Chair

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Alloy wheel

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep my 2.3 is at 528awhp and I beat the f outta it as it’s only a toy.
I can't find the answers, nor can any tell me without making it seem like some kind of voodoo magic on what is needed to make the 2.0TS block work in the RS or the proper part numbers. There for, I will proceed with my plans to build a 2.3L block and pair it accordingly with an ETS GTX3076R, Moutune EFR7163, or a Precision Kit through Tune+.

· Registered
122 Posts
I can't find the answers, nor can any tell me without making it seem like some kind of voodoo magic on what is needed to make the 2.0TS block work in the RS or the proper part numbers. There for, I will proceed with my plans to build a 2.3L block and pair it accordingly with an ETS GTX3076R, Moutune EFR7163, or a Precision Kit through Tune+.
If you currently have a good 2.3 RS engine block, reuse it! The only mod you may want to consider, is a full set of fire rings, as we called them in the late 70s early 80s. Saw something similar, refered to as O-rings, on an RS build. Seems to be a worth while modification for an aluminum block/head build!??

· Registered
17 Posts
I thought @axelr's build was using the 2.0TS block?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts