Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I put down a deposit on July 10 for a 2018 Focus RS in Nitrous Blue with a moonroof, and also threw in the winter tire and wheel package and the car cover (everything but the Cup tires). Got it all at MSRP.

My dealer emailed me yesterday with a build week: 8/7/17. He says we should have a VIN and build date next week or so.

This guy has been cool from the beginning. He let me test drive a new 2017 RS, which was my first time getting behind the wheel of one. I made the decision for the '18 before we got to the end of the block. He also handles all the Raptor and GT350 sales at that dealership, so I know I made the right decision to go with him.

He said it should be about 6 months from when I placed the order, so January 2018 is a safe expected delivery date. I'm anxious but also excited of course! I've been without a car for 7 years (my last one was a 2007 WRX STI lease) - I can do another few months :rofl2:

Cheers!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Congrats! You'll love it. Buy a GT350 while your at it, too!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any reason why you went with the 2018 over getting a 2017 below MSRP right now?
let's say he buys a 2017 for 2k under msrp...in 3-5 years the 2018 will be worth significantly more for the following reasons
1) last model year
2) more exclusive color scheme
3) desirable front LSD

in addition later car = more chance of bugs being worked out

·
Registered
76 Posts
let's say he buys a 2017 for 2k under msrp...in 3-5 years the 2018 will be worth significantly more for the following reasons
1) last model year
3) desirable front LSD

So you pay more for it to be worth more???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Personally doesn't make sense. I work at a Ford dealership and I wouldn't do it. People complaining dealer markup before. What do you think it will be with only 1000 made for the US?

I think it will be no less than the difference now. I got mine for 1k under msrp, not sure what deals are you specifically talking about but if the delta in price is 2k than a 2018 can easily be worth 2k more than a 2017. The lsd is absolutely huge, that alone in a used car can fetch an extra 1500 to 2k.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the input, guys. I did consider a '17, but when they announced the 2018, I jumped on it. I don't mind paying up to have the final year RS and the LSD is a nice addition. I crunched the numbers and figured out it's a good deal to me.

-A 2017 RS in Nitrous Blue with the moonroof, RS2 package, and the premium forged wheels comes out to $42,765 MSRP, including destination. These are all options I want regardless.

-I'm paying $43,585 MSRP including destination for the 2018 RS in Nitrous Blue with a moonroof, and that comes standard with the RS2 and upgraded wheels. It also includes the Quaife limited slip diff ($1,200 on the Monotune/Ford Performance sites, not including tools and installation). Okay, you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else, but you'll pay for labor. And then the 2018 also includes the carbon fiber interior accents (which I don't really care for, but they aren't cheap) and the blue RS center caps (which I do like and go for $40-$60 EACH). I also dig the black roof, spoiler, and mirrors. Even at $2,000 below MSRP (I can't imagine this would be easy to find), a 2017 with these additions would actually come out to roughly the same as the 2018. I'm in no rush and it's more than worth it to me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I read they are producing the the GT350 for 2018, so maybe we should both go for it! :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hope so. But what do I know I'm only a sales manager at a ford dealership. Lol

Since you're throwing your title around maybe you can ACTUALLY provide a reason as a counter argument to mine, or be specific as opposed to saying "below MSRP".

For what it's worth IMHO selling new cars gives you zero insight into what a used one will be worth compared to anyone else.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Since you're throwing your title around maybe you can ACTUALLY provide a reason as a counter argument to mine, or be specific as opposed to saying "below MSRP".

For what it's worth IMHO selling new cars gives you zero insight into what a used one will be worth compared to anyone else.
You got it! All your good luck with your purchase.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I had no intention of purchasing a 2018, but I had an opportunity present itself for a 2018 at just a few hundred over invoice. So I decided to put a deposit down on it. Ordered it in Red....no other options. So you may be seeing my 2016 for sale soon, I would rather try to sell it here rather than Carmax or a dealer.

To the OP, congratulations....if your build week is in August, I would think you may see the car in October.....

·
Registered
263 Posts
1) last model year
3) desirable front LSD

Take it from someone who buys and sells a ton of cars (of the rare and race like variety), it will not be worth "significantly more" in the short term.

1. It will be worth slightly more because it is a newer model year than the current 16-17 models. Cars do not hold their value in the short term, it will depreciate just the same as the 2016-2017 model years. Now if you would have said it will be worth significantly more in 15-20 years I may have given it to you on that one.
2. More exclusive color scheme adding value? Nope, negligible. To the right person does it add a couple bucks? Maybe but not enough to matter.
3. LSD. This will add a little to the enthusiast that wants to track the car for sure, but this isn't a game changing addition for general RS purchasers.

With the success that Ford has had, I would sincerely bet on the RS line continuing with the next generation of the Focus/Fiesta, that will keep the values in check as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Take it from someone who buys and sells a ton of cars (of the rare and race like variety), it will not be worth "significantly more" in the short term.

1. It will be worth slightly more because it is a newer model year than the current 16-17 models. Cars do not hold their value in the short term, it will depreciate just the same as the 2016-2017 model years. Now if you would have said it will be worth significantly more in 15-20 years I may have given it to you on that one.
2. More exclusive color scheme adding value? Nope, negligible. To the right person does it add a couple bucks? Maybe but not enough to matter.
3. LSD. This will add a little to the enthusiast that wants to track the car for sure, but this isn't a game changing addition for general RS purchasers.

With the success that Ford has had, I would sincerely bet on the RS line continuing with the next generation of the Focus/Fiesta, that will keep the values in check as well.
I am not saying a huge amount but the price delta now is same or smaller than 3 years from now, which means no savings in buying 17.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Great point! The only 2018 that might have more value is the Race Red. Being that there are only a 1000 of the limited models you will probably see a higher percentage ordered. 5-7 years will determine what you have.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't know about NA but here the base value of the car with NO options is what make it's resell price down the line, options are basically lost money when we resell it here
the 2018 base price is nearly a 2017 + full options so yes in my country it will be worth more when you resell

·
Registered
99 Posts

FYI a sale manager spends more of his day buying/bidding used cars(trades), than selling new ones so they normally have good insight on the used market too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
FYI a sale manager spends more of his day buying/bidding used cars(trades), than selling new ones so they normally have good insight on the used market too.
That's cool, except he offered no info at all, not even how much under msrp he would sell a 2017 so the whole conversation is meaningless.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts