Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Performance luxury and performance are two very different market segments. Just ask BMW. They've been struggling hardcore with that topic since the original M3.

Just because these cars are both AWD and the highest performance option offered doesn't mean that they are direct competitors. Would anyone cross shop a Regal and a Focus? They're two completely different markets.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Buick has become redundant and I can't seem to see why it still exists with Cadillac in the picture. It's like GM wanted to make two kinds: Cadillac being the relevant luxury brand, and Buick being the bland luxury brand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Buick has become redundant and I can't seem to see why it still exists with Cadillac in the picture. It's like GM wanted to make two kinds: Cadillac being the relevant luxury brand, and Buick being the bland luxury brand.
I said the same thing, especially when GM was killing off Pontiac. I would have loved to see Pontiac stay as the edgy/performance brand for GM like they always have and have Cadillac for luxury, scrap Buick. Upon looking into it further though, it turns out Buick was mainly kept due to the following they have in China, it's Buick's largest market and is viewed as a high class car out there. If memory serves me, a former ruler of China used to have Buick's and his status as a leader, along with his love for Buicks, made Buick an icon there.

If someone knows better, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'll add, I would love to see a new, badass Buick GNX :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I said the same thing, especially when GM was killing off Pontiac. I would have loved to see Pontiac stay as the edgy/performance brand for GM like they always have and have Cadillac for luxury, scrap Buick. Upon looking into it further though, it turns out Buick was mainly kept due to the following they have in China, it's Buick's largest market and is viewed as a high class car out there. If memory serves me, a former ruler of China used to have Buick's and his status as a leader, along with his love for Buicks, made Buick an icon there.

If someone knows better, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'll add, I would love to see a new, badass Buick GNX :)
Imagine how awesome the muscle car scene would be if the firebird/trans am still existed? And yeah a grand national would be great. That avista concept they revealed at Detroit could've been a perfect candidate for its return.

If the China market is so important to have a Buick line, they should just save money and rebadge caddys there as Buicks...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Are Americans ever going to get over the chrome wheels? Would look so much better with black or grey wheels.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
GM still produces some of the best performance values on the planet, but they are limited to the following: Corvette Z06, Camaro Z28, Camaro ZL1, Cadillac CTS-V. Buick is strictly a retiree demographic. Historically, Buick was aimed at buyers who wanted a Cadillac but couldn't afford one.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah... it's a Buick. Enough said.

But, at least they gave it a manual and a nicer interior than we're gonna get. In the end, it's apples and oranges anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like the regal gs good looking car if thats what u want, I am pretty sure its an Opel that GM rebadged a buick.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If I'm not mistaken this or a newer "performance" Buick will have GKN twinster AWD system as well.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I'm not mistaken this or a newer "performance" Buick will have GKN twinster AWD system as well.
Yah, well the "fat boy" weighs 3981 pounds and only has 259 Hp but at least it has 295 ft lbs torque. But there will be some LAG as torque doesn't come on until 2,500 RPM and it has to go through a 6-speed automatic transmission. It may have Brembo brakes and dampered suspension, but if has the GNK twinster it should last forever without failing because it will never be stressed . :sleeping:

Buick Luxury - Ha Ha - that is kind of like the VW commercials trying to tout Passat as being luxurious or even Buick's own attempt 'Oh my, is this a Buick". :nonchalance:

YMMV,

MidCow3

P.S. - If you like Buick's I am sorry if I offended you. However, if you do like buck you possibly are on the wrong car forum.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Not everyone needs a crazy car but to have a buick that is decently fun to drive and actually handles sounds decent to me. I got my brother an '02 Regal GS when he totalled his grand prix in an ice storm. super charged 3.8 is pretty fun :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Buick Luxury - Ha Ha - that is kind of like the VW commercials trying to tout Passat as being luxurious or even Buick's own attempt 'Oh my, is this a Buick". :nonchalance:
I don't like Buicks at all, but the fit and finish of the interior looks better than a Focus IMO. Good thing I'm not buying the RS for its interior :topsy_turvy:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Buick is a mid-level luxury. Luxury is really reserved for Cadillac in the GM line up. I want a chance to drive the ATS-V but I doubt I will, we rarely get CTS-V's considering we are a Chevy dealer. I couldn't believe it when a GM rep had a CTS-V as his company car, lucky guy :(.

I'm really not sure where a performance Buick would fit in or appeal to. The V line is a little on the softer side for me as is anyways. The 2016 Camaro took the ATS and kicked it up a notch for us performance junkies, so a performance Buick maybe on the spectrum of an ST vehicle if even that???

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't like Buicks at all, but the fit and finish of the interior looks better than a Focus IMO. Good thing I'm not buying the RS for its interior :topsy_turvy:
Do you like going on cruises ? The Buick has cruise ship suspension. Yes, I too am not buying the RS fro interior, but then
when your driving interior comfort ths are not necessarily a very high priority.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you like going on cruises ? The Buick has cruise ship suspension. Yes, I too am not buying the RS fro interior, but then
when your driving interior comfort ths are not necessarily a very high priority.

YMMV,

MidCow3

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
17 Participants
Daddies race car
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing