Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether the front Brembo calipers will have a center bridging bolt that can be removed, to make access to the pad pocket (and hence quick removal/replacement of pads) easy? Or will this mono block be like the GT350, with an integrated center bridge to resist deflection? I would love to be able to quickly change from street to track pads. Having to completely unbolt the caliper to do so would be disappointing.

Also, does anyone know if the front uprights are the same as for the ST? The reason I am asking is I currently have an ST with AP Racing calipers, and am strongly considering taking those off and mounting them in new RS, but the RS would need to have the same upright (or at least the same bolt spacing and dimensions for caliper mounting) as the ST, so I can use the same Essex Racing kit and caliper mounts, to make this easy. If not, it may not be worth the change.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I understand it is easier to pull a few pins and slide out the pads, but two extra bolts isn't the end of the world. I honestly think unbolting the wheel and jacking up the car is more of a pain then unbolting a caliper lol. I have not yet seen a pic with the wheels off or at least to the point where we could tell.

The Knuckles are said to be different for the RS, So that may not work out. In any case I would not get rid of the ST with the AP racing kit just in case.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Understood. Agree that it's not hard to do, but just "one more thing". Not a deal breaker either way, but I'm glad it sounds like it will be easy access. Thanks for your replies.

Since I can't seem to find specifics anywhere, so bothering forum members with another question: is hub / bolt pattern / wheel fitment the same as ST? I have track wheels and tires on my ST that I'd like to be able to keep using on the RS. 18x9 et48 PCD 5x108 with 255/35-18 R888. With this custom offset they fit the ST like a glove. Swappable onto RS?

·
Registered
376 Posts
As far as bolt pattern and all goes, the wheels will fit. However it sounds like only a few types of 18 inch wheels will clear the massive grabbers in the front. Also the suspension bits are prolly a bit revised so clearances behind the wheel might be a bit off. Since your running some fairly wide rubber, that might be an issue. Worst comes to worse keep the wheel to try out. If they don't fit, sell them on ebay or something

·
Registered
574 Posts
Understood. Agree that it's not hard to do, but just "one more thing". Not a deal breaker either way, but I'm glad it sounds like it will be easy access. Thanks for your replies.

Since I can't seem to find specifics anywhere, so bothering forum members with another question: is hub / bolt pattern / wheel fitment the same as ST? I have track wheels and tires on my ST that I'd like to be able to keep using on the RS. 18x9 et48 PCD 5x108 with 255/35-18 R888. With this custom offset they fit the ST like a glove. Swappable onto RS?
Would you mind posting pictures showing guard tyre in the straight, full lock (or closest) and of the rear too? Other fitment contributing features such as ride height, guard roll, alignment spec.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Love Essex setups. My car might be on a trailer and dropped off there for a month or so for them to build an RS setup.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi ethos guy. will try and get some pics up, but I only mount them for track days, and none coming up at the moment. When I do I will try and take some pics.

Dave-ROR this sounds fantastic. So this implies that Essex will be building an AP kit for the RS? I will have to contact Jeff Ritter and see if they can offer an "adapter kit" that will allow us current ST kit owners to utilize the same calipers and friction discs, just modify the caliper brackets and hats (hopefully not even that!) When will you be getting your car, and when out to Essex?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hi ethos guy. will try and get some pics up, but I only mount them for track days, and none coming up at the moment. When I do I will try and take some pics.

Dave-ROR this sounds fantastic. So this implies that Essex will be building an AP kit for the RS? I will have to contact Jeff Ritter and see if they can offer an "adapter kit" that will allow us current ST kit owners to utilize the same calipers and friction discs, just modify the caliper brackets and hats (hopefully not even that!) When will you be getting your car, and when out to Essex?
I wouldn't say that they are yet. It's a limited car and market so who knows. I want them to simply for consumables cost.

I've been talking to Jeff about it for a long time now but I don't think they've decided to do it and I haven't decided for sure who long I want to give my brand new car to them for ;) It would likely be based on the larger setups they use, not the smaller setup (which I assume the ST setup is - like the "Sprint" BRZ setup).

No idea on whether or not the knuckles are any different. I've seen rumors but.. the caliper itself could space it off enough although that would be a ton of flex so I wouldn't be surprised either way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I want to know when I can replace those stock single-piston calipers in the rear. Blah. Yes, I am aware of braking percentages...it just looks weird.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I want to know when I can replace those stock single-piston calipers in the rear. Blah. Yes, I am aware of braking percentages...it just looks weird.
Becomes more difficult if the parking brake in integrated into it. Outside of looks there is little reason to bother. If the parking brake is drum based inside the disc hat and you can find a bolt on solution should be easy enough.

·
Registered
287 Posts
just get yourself some pimp brake caliper covers

·
Registered
555 Posts
Becomes more difficult if the parking brake in integrated into it. Outside of looks there is little reason to bother. If the parking brake is drum based inside the disc hat and you can find a bolt on solution should be easy enough.
Parking brake IS integrated in the caliper, same as most Ford rear disc systems.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Does anyone know whether the front Brembo calipers will have a center bridging bolt that can be removed, to make access to the pad pocket (and hence quick removal/replacement of pads) easy?
Chassis.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
NZWINRZ
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing