Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Do you plan on 'Breaking In" your engine?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you plan on or still believe in break in periods for engines? I'm a fairly firm believer that breaking in an engine is not required anymore. With engines being built with FAR less tolerances within the engine than ever before, advances in oils, and everything else that goes along with it. ...I say drive like to drive from day one.

The only thing that I think really matters is getting your oil changed after the very first 2500KM (~1500Mi). Other than that ..good to go!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm going to drive it like I did my mach 1. Do a couple 1-2 power shifts on the test drive, and the first time I get on the free way fluctuate between 3rd and 4th hammering it and letting it engine brake then hammering it again. First oil change definitely before 1,000 miles but after 600-700

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've always believed the first 1000 or so miles you should be really easy on the car. Especially in this case with a heavily boosted and high output engine which is likely running close to its maximum operating limits. Just my two cents and what I'll be doing with my RS especially in my area where it'll most likely be snowing when I take delivery, everyone can do what they want :p

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'll do some hard accelerations, but probably not exceed 5k rpm for the first few hundred miles. Add in plenty of engine braking. Then I'll change the oil around 1k miles.
Yeah, by really easy I basically mean not redlining it and trying to keep my right foot from stomping the fire wall too many times :cool:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Break in procedure on the ST is to put the car through various RPMs for the first 1000 miles.

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1000 miles (1600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating.
I changed my route to work avoid the freeway for first 1K miles.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Do you plan on or still believe in break in periods for engines? I'm a fairly firm believer that breaking in an engine is not required anymore. With engines being built with FAR less tolerances within the engine than ever before, advances in oils, and everything else that goes along with it. ...I say drive like to drive from day one.

The only thing that I think really matters is getting your oil changed after the very first 2500KM (~1500Mi). Other than that ..good to go!
I hear what you are saying and that is in line with current thinking, that because of closer tolerances that break-in is no longer necessary. But it almost seems an oxymoron, because by the same token you still change the first oil a 1,500 miles to remove metal filings, etc. cause during "poor tolerance" or "poor quality finish" initially.

My question, car companies, including Ford still recommend a break-in period on engine, tires, and brakes, albiet much shorter break-in periods 10 years ago, but very few car companies recommend an early oil change? WHY NOT ?

I will probably go through a break-in period since that is what I have always done, and primarily since I have NEVER had an issue down the road with engine problems or excessive oil usage.

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
329 Posts
Your engine might not need to be broken in, but you clutch might need to be :)

I'll be easy on it for the first 1,000. No cruise, etc. I haven't had any issues with "breaking in" my ST in that way, so I'll try again.

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I got my brand new mazdaspeed3, I drove it like normal right off the bat, then after 1k miles, I drove it harder. The car now has 42k miles with near perfect compression. I'll be doing the same with the RS.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The way I will break it in, will be by seeing how easy I can roast the tires on an on-ramp. With the engine up to temp ofcourse :D

In all seriousness, I will drive it very hard from day one but maybe about 10-20% less then what I will do after 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The way I will break it in, will be by seeing how easy I can roast the tires on an on-ramp. With the engine up to temp ofcourse :D

In all seriousness, I will drive it very hard from day one but maybe about 10-20% less then what I will do after 1000 miles.
I think driving the car like this (@~75%) is the proper break in method.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
15 seconds at redline aught to do the trick. Then I'll drive it as I normally would, changing the oil every 7500 to 10000 miles

·
Registered
520 Posts
Or I could engage drift mode when I find an empty snow covered parking lot on the way home from the dealer and put some early hoonanigans in :D decisions decisions.......

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I know I sound like a Neanderthal when I say it but "drive it like you stole it" or some semblance of that is the way I've gone and had it pay off in strong motors. I autocross both my 01 Focus and 13 ST within days of buying them and believe that they benefited from doing so. The 01 had some serious grunt compared to same model owned by friends and the ST was the same.

I'm not talking about pumping up against the rev limiter and abusing it but some repeated hard 2nd and 3rd gear pulls never hurt anything I've owned.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My good friend builds engines. He says it's very important to get cylinder pressures up durring the first few hundred miles because the bores will be cross scored from the factory to promote ring seating.

I will be driving like I stole it, not using cruise control for the first 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Break your motor in like a cheap hooker you don't intend on paying.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Break your engine in.

I used to work as an engineer for Honda Racing in the CART days. Lightly turbocharged 2.65L V8 making 1000 hp, spinning to almost 17k. The tolerances in those engines were tighter than anything you'll find in a production car. We broke our engines in. Clearly we didn't get the equivalent of a 1000 miles, because they were 600 mile engines. Similar concept to the "Break In Secrets" link above, but that one feels a bit light. We'd start at low throttle and go slowly through the rev range. Then up the throttle a bit and repeat the slow RPM sweep. Eventually work up to a full throttle sweep to verify power / torque. The key is to work through the rpm range (you really don't want to hold it at one engine speed too early) and slowly build pressure on the rings (i.e., throttle).

1 - 20 of 275 Posts
About this Discussion
274 Replies
132 Participants
KakiharaFRS
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing