Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this issue happen to me twice now and it's very unnerving. When driving at highway speeds during heavy rain for more than 15mins without braking, when I hit the brakes I get nothing. Seems like water builds up on the pads or rotors and takes a bit to come off before I get my brakes back. Not a nice feeling when traffic is stopping ahead of you.

I've been brake checking now to avoid this, but would like to see if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've had this issue happen to me twice now and it's very unnerving. When driving at highway speeds during heavy rain for more than 15mins without braking, when I hit the brakes I get nothing. Seems like water builds up on the pads or rotors and takes a bit to come off before I get my brakes back. Not a nice feeling when traffic is stopping ahead of you.

I've been brake checking now to avoid this, but would like to see if anyone else has had this happen to them.
This has been going on for a long time. Older threads called it "hard brake pedal".
Some recently have been blaming ABS "ice mode"
I've had this happen on an older car with a more primitive ABS system, so I don't buy "ice mode"
Your lower control arms have fins designed to funnel more air toward your brake rotors. The problem is under certain speed and water depth conditions thos fins are dumping massive amounts of water into your front brakes.
The stock brake pads are also partially to blame, and don't deal well with cold and wet.
I got rid of the cooling fins and run EBC yellowstuff front pads. I don't have the issue anymore.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This has been going on for a long time. Older threads called it "hard brake pedal".
Some recently have been blaming ABS "ice mode"
I've had this happen on an older car with a more primitive ABS system, so I don't buy "ice mode"
Your lower control arms have fins designed to funnel more air toward your brake rotors. The problem is under certain speed and water depth conditions thos fins are dumping massive amounts of water into your front brakes.
The stock brake pads are also partially to blame, and don't deal well with cold and wet.
I got rid of the cooling fins and run EBC yellowstuff front pads. I don't have the issue anymore.
I was looking at upgrading the rotors and trying carbotech 1521s

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I too run EBC Yellowstuff pads all around and have no problems anymore either. I also upgraded my rotors to RB slotted two piece so not sure which one cured this problem but I am very happy with the brakes now.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I have same exact issue. Scary as hell. Almost caused me to crash a few times. I am very hesitant to drive car in rain now. I see people saying new pads might help? Maybe those yellow stuff pads I might look into. Anyone know a good rotor to pair with them and good place to buy them both?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/29-focus-rs-brakes/116280-freezing-front-brakes.html

There's a ABS reflash out there for this issue. Word on the street is that it wasn't compatible with the drift stick, at least a few months ago. If you have the drift stick, and get the flash update, let me know.

·
5,608 Posts
I have same exact issue. Scary as hell. Almost caused me to crash a few times. I am very hesitant to drive car in rain now. I see people saying new pads might help? Maybe those yellow stuff pads I might look into. Anyone know a good rotor to pair with them and good place to buy them both?
Are you stock or modded?
Get to dealer for abs flash.

There is this thread as well :
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/29-focus-rs-brakes/112980-brake-assist-scary-af.html

Bulletin 7411:

11/27/2018 7411 -2016-2018 Focus RS - Momentary soft or Long brake pedal in cold/wet/damp weather - reprogram anti-brake system (ABS) Module

2016-2018 Focus RS vehicles with 2.3L EcoBoost engine, may experience momentary soft or long brake pedal in cold/wet/damp weather after extended driving conditions. Reprogram the ABS module using the latest software level of appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming use causal part 2C219 and applicable labor operations in Section 02 of the service labor time standards (SLTS) manual.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are you stock or modded?
Get to dealer for abs flash.

There is this thread as well :
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/29-focus-rs-brakes/112980-brake-assist-scary-af.html

Bulletin 7411:

11/27/2018 7411 -2016-2018 Focus RS - Momentary soft or Long brake pedal in cold/wet/damp weather - reprogram anti-brake system (ABS) Module

2016-2018 Focus RS vehicles with 2.3L EcoBoost engine, may experience momentary soft or long brake pedal in cold/wet/damp weather after extended driving conditions. Reprogram the ABS module using the latest software level of appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming use causal part 2C219 and applicable labor operations in Section 02 of the service labor time standards (SLTS) manual.
Some mods.
Moutune tune by Randy
Mountune FMIC
Intake

So there is a fix to this? I was just in for a 20k service. Wouldn't they have told me about this ABS flash? Or is it not a recall which would trigger them alerting me to this?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Some mods.
Moutune tune by Randy
Mountune FMIC
Intake

So there is a fix to this? I was just in for a 20k service. Wouldn't they have told me about this ABS flash? Or is it not a recall which would trigger them alerting me to this?
not a recall, just a fix for those having the problem. i do, just haven’t had it done yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ABS flash definitely helped mine as well. However at low temperatures I still experienced the brake issue but not as severely. I will upgrade to slotted rotors and improved pads with next brake change.

·
Registered
73 Posts
High performance brakes with large surface area rotors have this problem. In my GTR its pretty bad with standing water at highway speeds. Takes one hard press to get all the water off the rotors, then it brakes reasonably well. GTR front rotors are 390mm.

Some of the german brands sense when its raining and apply some brake caliper tension automatically to keep the rotors relative dry and ready to brake.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had this same issue in the rain and cooler temps. It takes 2-3 seconds to clear the water before braking kicks in. It is concerning to say the least. I'd rather keep the cooling fins if possible. Will just pads or rotors improve the situation?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello, we own a ford focus rs 2017 with faulty breaks... i have dealt with the local dealerships here in BC Canada and gotten no where. with 2 years of fighting i have finally made a case with ford Canada and for a recall to be started i need people to call in and reference the case number with the same complain. if anyone is still having break problems can you please let me know and i will provide you the case number so hopefully we can get enough people to call referencing the case and get something done about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts