Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I melted my OEM dust boots over the summer. Have since replaced with Racing Brake high temp dust boots. Currently having an issue with keeping them seated in the caliper. I can get them to stay will put it all together, but once I drive they do not stay put. The inner diameter stays on the caliper piston, but the outer seal does not stay on the caliper lip. The first time I noticed was when I swapped summer to winter tires. Has anyone experienced something similar? It's been rather frustrating as I've had to fix it twice now. Just trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong... would like to have to boots stay for winter to keep salt/dirt/etc out.

Please note, I am not talking about the actual caliper piston seal. Those are fine (no leaks) and I have cleaned thoroughly around the pistons and dust boot groove both times I've had to fix them.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I figured out my own problem finally...I guess I ordered the wrong parts as I discovered now. Gonna call Racing Brake tomorrow as I feel there is an error on their website, or at the very least it's not clear.

So others don't make the same mistake, on the site it states "Caution: Piston and dust boot for Focus RS are different from standard Brembo calipers, eg same 38mm piston for standard Brembo caliper will not fit RS, nor will the dust boots (Only seals is compatible). In order avoid mistake and assure total compatibility only the complete rebuild kit is sold and shipped. We will not be responsible for fitment issue if you purchase components individually from "Select By Piston Sizes"".

Now I DID in fact see this before I ordered the parts. I did NOT "select by piston size"s to order my dust boots. I ordered through the Focus RS link: https://www.racingbrake.com/High-Temperature-Dust-Boots-for-Ford-Focus-RS-Fron-p/bf-42dbht.htm. HOWEVER, I now noticed that the product code does not match the product description. The correct part number is DB-41 (green), but I got DB-42 (yellow). Not sure how they can claim it is "for Ford Focus RS front calipers" when they specifically state they know the parts don't work. but they clearly actually carry the correct part. Not sure why they claim they need to sell the full rebuild kit, is it really that difficult to separate two distinct part numbers?? I realize this is in part my own fault, just frustrated.

Annotation 2019-12-03 211455.png

The pictures in this link are the dust boots I actually need. Hopefully they are willing to sell me just those....I don't need the pistons and piston seals: https://www.racingbrake.com/8-ea-SS-Pistons-P38x27S-for-Ford-Focus-RS-Front-p/bf-42p.htm

Annotation 2019-12-03 211456.png

Ugh...sorry for the rant...

·
Registered
663 Posts
FWIW I did a full rebuild a month ago using the full kit from RB including stainless pistons. I had a really hard time getting the stock melted boots out and the new hi temp boots never really “clicked” into place. I was worried that they would come out but I checked them recently and they were fully seated. I was checking because I was getting so much squealing that I was worried a piston had seized but everything seemed ok. Some of the pistons were very easy to push into the bores while others took a lot of effort no matter how much I greased them. How was your experience with the rebuild?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't do a full rebuild, just trying to replace the dust boots for now. Pistons and piston seals are fine at the moment. But my experience with the dust boots has been frustrating to say the least. Hopefully I can sort it out today, now that I realize that I have the wrong part.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please do keep us posted on what you find and what part & link to order for just the dust boots. I'm also planning on doing this in the near future as I know at least a couple of my front dust boots are shot but do not plan on doing a full rebuild.
I spoke with Racing Brake and it was an error on their part. They said they updated it recently, so the link I posted before should be updated with the correct part number (https://www.racingbrake.com/High-Temperature-Dust-Boots-for-Ford-Focus-RS-Fron-p/bf-42dbht.htm). They confirmed that ordering from here should get the right part in the future.

But for reference, the correct part is DB-41, NOT DB-42. DB-41 is pictured in my previous post (which is correct). What I got is below, and incorrect. Parts are clearly labelled, so if by chance you get the wrong ones you'll know and they will be able to fix it. Will post a follow up when I get the new seals in a few days and get them installed.

IMG_20191203_201121.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update for anyone interested.

Got the new dust boots Tuesday, this time the correct DB-41. Finally had time to install them this evening.
IMG_20191210_185042.jpg

Total install time was just under two hours to get car in air, wheels off, pads out, calipers off (line still attached), dust boots on, and reverse. Install was MUCH easier this time, as the boots basically snapped right into place. Fit is nice, and I checked everything once I reassembled (pressed brakes until firm). So far seems like a good product, and Racing Brake showed great customer service to correct the issue.

Now hopefully I don't melt these too 😅.

IMG_20191212_200130.jpg

IMG_20191212_200141.jpg

IMG_20191212_193535.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts