Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a few options for tuners to remove "brake boost" or Disable Throttle/Brake Saftey Swtich as stratified call it. Does anyone know the algorithm for this? It is clear that you can heal and toe (brake + accel) so you can can actually do both at the same time. Can you only do this if the clutch is pressed in or is it something else?

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can heal and toe no problem, i think left foot braking is whats not possible/hard

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Its very easy to try.

Step on the gas, Step on the brake.

After a second or so the throttle cuts, ie No Brake Boost

Heel Toe is just a blip of the throttle, throttle does not cut

Ever since Camry's started running off the road with the "accelerator stuck" thing I'm pretty sure a Gov't mandate went out about if you apply the brakes you need to cut the throttle

Toyota ruined it for everyone

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Google'd a bit for you.

Left-foot-braking as standard or remap needed? - Image, Photoshop & Video Gallery - Focus RS Owners Club

Left foot braking engine cut - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

The consensus is that it lets you left foot brake, and it doesn't cut out throttle until about 2 seconds after you hit the throttle and brake at the same time, giving you a window in which to left foot brake before it intervenes.

Tuning can completely eliminate that delay I'm guessing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Google'd a bit for you.

Left-foot-braking as standard or remap needed? - Image, Photoshop & Video Gallery - Focus RS Owners Club

Left foot braking engine cut - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

The consensus is that it lets you left foot brake, and it doesn't cut out throttle until about 2 seconds after you hit the throttle and brake at the same time, giving you a window in which to left foot brake before it intervenes.

Tuning can completely eliminate that delay I'm guessing.
TIL and lol love how you refer everyone to google.

Also heel and toeing requieres the clutch so thats the major diff with left doot braking.

I heel toe all the time the car will let u do it np

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Most people never search. Nothing wrong with asking a question, but 9 times out of 10 it's already been answered given the age of the platform. :wink:

TIL and lol love how you refer everyone to google.
Edit: Plus I provide the information instead of just telling people to Google, hoping they'll use it too. :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was just confused because I thought people were wanting to turn off the power brake boost and pretend they were trying to stop an old British sports car with non-boosted brakes!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Its very easy to try.

Step on the gas, Step on the brake.

After a second or so the throttle cuts, ie No Brake Boost

Heel Toe is just a blip of the throttle, throttle does not cut

Ever since Camry's started running off the road with the "accelerator stuck" thing I'm pretty sure a Gov't mandate went out about if you apply the brakes you need to cut the throttle

Toyota ruined it for everyone
That's right, Toyota uses a 0.5 sec delay for most of their cars. Actually BMW was the first to provide the brake boost override in 1988 in the 750. Somewhat ironically, the code was added to allow for heel/toe on the early "fly-by-wire" systems. It's just a matter of how the code is written, with variables other than simply both accelerator and brake being used at the same time. Just like so much of the driver/software/hardware interface in today's cars, the control strategies use many inputs to attempt to determine what the driver "really wants to do". The strategies for performance cars can be, and are, written differently than those of more pedestrian vehicles.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wonder if you can brake boost with ebrake......Doubt it but will definitely try

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Pretty sure in track mode it doesn't cut the throttle when brake boosting. I've done it a couple times with no issues.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: thomwithah

·
Registered
486 Posts
Loading the engine up with boost but maintaining speed sounds a lot like lugging to me. Is brake boosting done at a high enough RPM to not be dangerous? I'm not much of a street racer so I've never thought about it before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts