Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to trigger it again today.

50 to 60 mph. Traffic slowed, then stopped. I put just too much brake in too fast and.... holly crap, full brake abs engaged!

I lifted off the brakes, reapplied and got the hard peddle, lifted again and all worked fine again. We all lived.

I get why it’s a feature, but I feel bad for the guy in the 90s lumina behind me. I bet he went home fuming about some jerk in a blue car that brake checked him.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I managed to trigger it again today.

50 to 60 mph. Traffic slowed, then stopped. I put just too much brake in too fast and.... holly crap, full brake abs engaged!

I lifted off the brakes, reapplied and got the hard peddle, lifted again and all worked fine again. We all lived.

I get why it’s a feature, but I feel bad for the guy in the 90s lumina behind me. I bet he went home fuming about some jerk in a blue car that brake checked him.
I've had it trigger when I feel like I didn't even push the peddle in very far but still I pushed it too quickly. If I ease into it, I can push it to the floor pretty much. Makes my face hurt.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

At least I’m not alone. I agree, it was how fast I pushed that triggered “full stopping”.

Who else has had this happen?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks!

At least I’m not alone. I agree, it was how fast I pushed that triggered “full stopping”.

Who else has had this happen?
Routinely. Only a handful of times on the street, but as unnerving for me as you described. Felt like braking distance was way longer than without, but I'm one of those people who feels confident I know how to threshold brake.

[begin rant]
The "routinely" part for me is every...single...autocross...I've ever...raced. Delaying my braking *just the right* amount to avoid that ABS assist has been nearly impossible. I've been hoping someone would discover a way to defeat that so called feature, but have been SOL to this point. Car will be sold as a result. Sad, but I've proven to be incapable of avoiding the problem.
[end rant]

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if fancy fluids, lines, pads or even spendie rotors would help.

Or is software jive going to trip it up.

Someone nerdy please find a way to defeat this dragon.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wonder if fancy fluids, lines, pads or even spendie rotors would help.

Or is software jive going to trip it up.

Someone nerdy please find a way to defeat this dragon.
Zero success yet from at least a half dozen people I know of.
Talking to ST owners with similar frustrations from a longer period of time: "Yeah. We're basically just [email protected]#%ed."

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/brake-assist.htm

It might save you one day. Or get you rear ended. People seem to think that we drive regular Foci and stop like "normal" cars so they tailgate.

The braking computer may think that you're doing a panic stop if your time between releasing the accelerator and applying the brake is lower than some threshold. I sometimes brake late-ish when coming to a stop sign and it triggers the brake assist to the discomfort of my passengers. Maybe once a month, but I've never had it happen like you on the highway.

Don't worry, it's a feature not a bug.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bummer.

I really abused the rsaa cars. Both on track and the cone killing challenges, and never hit any braking issues. The only time I knew abs was even working was the final braking box on the autox.

My car seems way for sensitive to weight transfer(braking or direction changes) than the track rsaa cars.

On track we were threshold braking.. full hard brakes, lift of the brakes smoothly to turn in. Anyone with any track time gets this concept. But it I went out ant did that in my car right now, I’d just trigger the abs. Or have to limit my braking to not trigger it.

So I now want to know what ford did to the “track”(cuz we drove 3 differently setup cars) rsaa cars to chase the abs away. I’ll yhrow more cash at the screen if needed.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/brake-assist.htm

It might save you one day. Or get you rear ended. People seem to think that we drive regular Foci and stop like "normal" cars so they tailgate.

The braking computer may think that you're doing a panic stop if your time between releasing the accelerator and applying the brake is lower than some threshold. I sometimes brake late-ish when coming to a stop sign and it triggers the brake assist to the discomfort of my passengers. Maybe once a month, but I've never had it happen like you on the highway.

Don't worry, it's a feature not a bug.
Oh interesting data point. Time from the gas pedal to the brake pedal. Great info.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s a feature if it’s hasn’t happened to you yet.

It’s a bug once it does.

If my throttle went wide open by itself I’d own ford. But somehow it’s ok to take over my brake pedal? Crazyness.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can we put up a bounty for whoever finds a way to disable this “feature”?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It's hard to convey my facetiousness here...

When I get some free time I'll take a peek in FORScan but I don't have high hopes. If the ST guys have been trying to chase it down with no luck, who knows. I imagine that it's separate from ABS, the system just precharges the brakes and pushes them harder than you want to get you into max effort sooner. It's a system designed for normal people who haven't approached the limit in their cars. I doubt there's a way to turn it off, easily that is.

Is the behavior the same in sport and normal? I imagine that sport may turn off this nanny, which may offer the driving experience that you expect.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Can we put up a bounty for whoever finds a way to disable this “feature”?
Is this not something you can just pull a fuse to disable? I'll see if I can find anything in my Focus electrical book tomorrow at work.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I’d love it be that simple, I assume that it’s much much more involved.

Something nearly sentient predicts a crash and hammers on the brakes. I think that this thread pointed out that it’s related to the time from the gas pedal to the brakes. But I’m sure there are other factors too.

It’ll take all sorts of reprogramming or even abs delete mods to workaround.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's hard to convey my facetiousness here...

When I get some free time I'll take a peek in FORScan but I don't have high hopes. If the ST guys have been trying to chase it down with no luck, who knows. I imagine that it's separate from ABS, the system just precharges the brakes and pushes them harder than you want to get you into max effort sooner. It's a system designed for normal people who haven't approached the limit in their cars. I doubt there's a way to turn it off, easily that is.

Is the behavior the same in sport and normal? I imagine that sport may turn off this nanny, which may offer the driving experience that you expect.
I’m not sure if the behavior changes by drive mode. But it definitely takes over the brakes in sport mode.

I’ll try to induce the same scary in drift and track mode. But it’ll be tricky. I’ve only had it happen in panic braking situations.

ETA: bonus points for big words. ..”facetiousness”

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Bummer.

I really abused the rsaa cars. Both on track and the cone killing challenges, and never hit any braking issues. The only time I knew abs was even working was the final braking box on the autox.

My car seems way for sensitive to weight transfer(braking or direction changes) than the track rsaa cars.

On track we were threshold braking.. full hard brakes, lift of the brakes smoothly to turn in. Anyone with any track time gets this concept. But it I went out ant did that in my car right now, I’d just trigger the abs. Or have to limit my braking to not trigger it.

So I now want to know what ford did to the “track”(cuz we drove 3 differently setup cars) rsaa cars to chase the abs away. I’ll yhrow more cash at the screen if needed.
Are you running the same tires as the rsaa cars? What are the surfaces like in the HAL brake situations?

I will also submit that the cold and slush packed brakes are even scarier.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I very much dislike this as well. I've had it happen on the street and on course. None of which did I find myself thankful it was there. Like others have said, I've found it has to do with how quickly you apply brake more so than how much pressure. I once just quickly jabbed with slight pressure and it went into full lock. When racing, I've had it happen regardless of drive mode.

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is the ice mode issue that is making the RS I bought specifically for Rallycross use essentially worthless for Rallycross. Hit the brakes on dirt and it goes into ice mode and won’t come out of it. I’ve looked through Forscan, the wiring diagrams, talked to Team Oneil and the shop that does their tech work for them, etc. and have yet to find a way to eliminate this without putting the RDU offline.

I would pay a pretty big amount of money for a way to raise this threshold or disable abs altogether in a way that’s stock class legal, so “electrically or electronically”.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts