Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I recently upgraded from a Focus ST to a Focus RS a couple weeks ago. I bought a used one with about 18000 km on it and it feels quite slow to me, like I'm certain my tuned ST would spank it in a roll race no problem. I'm not sure if I just thought the RS would be faster or what, but I'm starting to worry that maybe there's something wrong with it. I don't hear any bad sounds coming from the engine, but the idle for a warm startup can be rough for a little while for some reason and then it smooths out. Something I have noticed is that my boost pressure barely makes it to 1 Bar, just a hair width over sometimes for a few seconds then it drops down to 1 Bar again. I've seen Youtube videos of people's boost gauges going up to 1.5 Bar when they go WOT. Is that just cause they're tuned? Or is that what everyone here gets? If so I think I got a dud :(

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I can only give my thoughts on a stock RS.

I owned a ‘14 ST which I loved dearly. Some bolt ons making 270/330 to the wheels. I test drove three different RS’s over 2 years and every time I got out thinking “mehhh”. Obviously off the line an RS would spank my ST simply because of AWD. But once I actually bought and owned my RS I changed my mind. Even a stock RS would whoop an ST. The larger motor and turbo breathe so much better. They might pull similarly to about 130kmh, but after that the ST would be left in the dust.

What I’m saying is. Drive your car way harder. Floor it, launch it, bounce it off the limiter etc and you will see how much more of a car it is

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Paul
I felt the same way. Don't forget how heavy the Focus is. I've come from a Renault Megane RS which is similar to the ST (i.e. FWD but with an LSD). I put on 200kg to get into the Focus. It will need a tune to feel quicker. I'm getting a dream science handset with canned tunes; apparently that's a considerable improvement from stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! I've been driving it every night lately trying to figure out where the frigging power band is in this thing, for some reason wide open throttle doesn't feel that much faster than simply pressing it half way or so, it's like it just falls on it's face a bit. Anyone in the Ottawa area have a stock RS?? lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Paul
I felt the same way. Don't forget how heavy the Focus is. I've come from a Renault Megane RS which is similar to the ST (i.e. FWD but with an LSD). I put on 200kg to get into the Focus. It will need a tune to feel quicker. I'm getting a dream science handset with canned tunes; apparently that's a considerable improvement from stock.
Ok interesting, and when you look at your boost gauge under WOT does it only go to around 1 Bar as well? I know it's probably not the most accurate thing in the world, but it's got me thinking that maybe something is wrong.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok interesting, and when you look at your boost gauge under WOT does it only go to around 1 Bar as well? I know it's probably not the most accurate thing in the world, but it's got me thinking that maybe something is wrong.
Good point. I'll check - I don't drive it that often, and I don't ever look at those guages.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That'd be much appreciated thanks :) I have a feeling you'll probably see around 1.6 Bar, I did some digging and it seems like that's what almost everyone is seeing...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I had the same feeling at first coming from a 15 ST with the FP tune.

I think the RS just does not provide the same feel for speed than the ST at first, but it’s fast!

Try turning off hill assist to get rid of that hesitation at full throttle. I had the same issue for a while and that seems to fix it (although I must admit I only drove it once since finding this out). I cant explain why, but it worked on my car. Switching hill assist back on brought the hesitation right back. It literally felt like it just got tuned...so maybe if you get the same result it might match your expectations!

Depending on temperature 1bar seems about right for most conditions. Isn’t boost limited somehow in 1st and second gears or something like that? I know I’ll reach about 1.5 bar on the overboost feature.

I also noticed the RS needs a bit higher RPM shift than my FP tuned ST, that took some time adjusting to.

I hope your car is fine and you get ti enjoy it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same feeling at first coming from a 15 ST with the FP tune.

I think the RS just does not provide the same feel for speed than the ST at first, but it’s fast!

Try turning off hill assist to get rid of that hesitation at full throttle. I had the same issue for a while and that seems to fix it (although I must admit I only drove it once since finding this out). I cant explain why, but it worked on my car. Switching hill assist back on brought the hesitation right back. It literally felt like it just got tuned...so maybe if you get the same result it might match your expectations!

Depending on temperature 1bar seems about right for most conditions. Isn’t boost limited somehow in 1st and second gears or something like that? I know I’ll reach about 1.5 bar on the overboost feature.

I also noticed the RS needs a bit higher RPM shift than my FP tuned ST, that took some time adjusting to.

I hope your car is fine and you get ti enjoy it!
Thanks for the reply and for the support! :p Yea I did multiple pulls in both 3rd and 4th gear with the oil and coolant warmed up properly and never saw more than a hair over 1 Bar. And literally everyone is saying they see ~1.5 which is significantly higher. I really think there’s something wrong. Gonna call Ford tomorrow. I’ll keep you guys all posted!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Hey Guys,

I recently upgraded from a Focus ST to a Focus RS a couple weeks ago. I bought a used one with about 18000 km on it and it feels quite slow to me, like I'm certain my tuned ST would spank it in a roll race no problem. I'm not sure if I just thought the RS would be faster or what, but I'm starting to worry that maybe there's something wrong with it. I don't hear any bad sounds coming from the engine, but the idle for a warm startup can be rough for a little while for some reason and then it smooths out. Something I have noticed is that my boost pressure barely makes it to 1 Bar, just a hair width over sometimes for a few seconds then it drops down to 1 Bar again. I've seen Youtube videos of people's boost gauges going up to 1.5 Bar when they go WOT. Is that just cause they're tuned? Or is that what everyone here gets? If so I think I got a dud :(

Cheers,

Paul
There is a very simple answer to this and that's an appointment on the dyno. You'll know if you have an issue in 20 min.
Having said that this engine is tuned for the mid range, its not going to give you a massive kick at the upper end of the revs.Peak torque is a flat line from 2000-4500 rpm so it's what I term deceptively fast.

Ciao

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hey Guys,

Cheers,

Paul
My personal experience in my untuned RS is you need to get used to using the overboost to get the best out of it. Took me a while, but now I love the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
the RS is HP and Torque limited until 3rd gear, and i do not think the ST is, so there is also that

·
Registered
154 Posts
I felt that it was really slow too coming from a E90 335i with 300hp/300tq that thing was quick and felt it. Once I got the montune accesport flash on the car that woke the RS up for sure. I no longer think its slow and the low end torque feels about where the 335i was.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Here's my crappy old video with a pull in the same place (I think 2nd and 3rd gear?, maybe?)

Stock, is definitely more than 1bar (but maybe not 1.5) but it only go past 1 bar (~15psi) in high revs, not in the low-end.

Stage1 OTS from cobb definitely improves this and a Custom Stage1 is.... pretty :D ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's my crappy old video with a pull in the same place (I think 2nd and 3rd gear?, maybe?)

Stock, is definitely more than 1bar (but maybe not 1.5) but it only go past 1 bar (~15psi) in high revs, not in the low-end.

Stage1 OTS from cobb definitely improves this and a Custom Stage1 is.... pretty :D ;)
Yea yours is going waay higher than mine, even if I bounce it off the limiter it never does that jump to ~1.5 Bar.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yea yours is going waay higher than mine, even if I bounce it off the limiter it never does that jump to ~1.5 Bar.
They might be your answer there. I dropped off mine at short notice up get paint protection put on it so I won't have the car until Saturday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stock you should be seeing around 1.5bar with your foot to the floor. I would begin looking around for boost leaks. Perhaps hoses/airbox that the former owner put back to stock and didn't clamp down properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stock you should be seeing around 1.5bar with your foot to the floor. I would begin looking around for boost leaks. Perhaps hoses/airbox that the former owner put back to stock and didn't clamp down properly.
Ah ok that's a good suggestion, I'll take a looksie tomorrow! I'd probably need a lift to check the intercooler tubing though eh? Wouldn't a boost leak also cause a really loud noise too? I don't really hear anything that sounds strange, although the symposer really masks me from hearing much by way of intake noises.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Unless your familiar with linear power the ST will always punch ya harder in gut due to smaller turbo hitting peak boost way earlier like 2k ish. Our RS is twinscroll and peak boost comes in around 3200 with a very linear delivery to redline. SOME FYI

·
Registered
172 Posts
Try turning off traction control. That will get rid of the nannies robbing your timing and fuel curves.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts