Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ford-focus-rs-and-st-get-widebody-kit-from-fortune-flares-124489_1.jpg ford-focus-rs-and-st-get-widebody-kit-from-fortune-flares_2.jpg

by Mihnea Radu, 22 March 2018

Your Rocket Bunny wet dreams have become a reality, dear hot hatch fans. The goodies come from a Canadian auto shop called Fortune Flares, and the look is similar to the famous Rocket Bunny.

Both the RS and ST versions of the Focus are very hot in the hot hatch world. The SEMA Show has been full of them for the past few years. However, this project still feels very fresh.

Fast Fords have always been very wide. We still remember the first Focus ST with its flared fenders or the green paint on the Mk2-based RS. But this widebody kit doesn't give you bigger fenders; it adds flares that bolt into the existing bodywork with exposed screw connections for an aggressive aftermarket appearance.

Now, we've seen this on a Golf GTI. Normal hot hatchbacks don't deserve to look like drift cars, but the Focus RS has a dedicated sideways mode, not that installing wider tires will help unstick the rear end.

Fortune Flares' package will be available for pre-order tomorrow, with just 20 being made at first. The package clearly fits the post-2016 RS model. However, we like how they also included photos of a 2012(2013) Focus ST without the facelift. It looks a little weird, but the grunt is all there.

Also included in the package are lateral attachments for the front apron, inserts for the doors, side skirts and side components for the back bumper.

For extra curb appeal, the project cars have also been lowered onto some 20-inch multi-spoke wheels. Windows and lights suffered tinting, but there's plenty of room left for your own creative twist. Maybe you've been putting off doing a camo wrap or plastic-dip. Perhaps you want supercar exhaust on your crazy Ford.

There's no shortage of power packs, and we've even shown you how to uninstall the fake engine sound system on the Focus ST.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ford-focus-rs-and-st-get-widebody-kit-from-fortune-flares-124489.html#

Reactions: Hankbobo

·
Super Moderator
16,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those interested here's the pre-order info link:

https://www.fortuneflares.com/product-page/rsr-mk3

Pulled from the site:

Complete kit includes a total of ten (10) pieces - 2 front bumper extensions, 2 front overfenders, 2 rear door extensions, 2 rear overfenders and 2 rear bumper extensions

When installed the kit widens each corner of the vehicle by 70mm (2.75 inches) front and rear

Manufactured using high-quality fiberglass/FRP materials

Shipped in gelcoat, unpainted

JUNE 2018 IS THE PLANNED ETA FOR SECOND PAYMENT REQUESTS AND SHIPMENTS

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Not bad..Woud be a no brainer if my RS had about 500 awph...But to rock this with base HP/TQ to me is over kill...jmho

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The front fenders leave a massive uncovered portion behind the wheel. RIP paint
Just get some paint protection film, no problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Could they have picked a worse color and lighting combo? Nothing against SG, but coupled with the dim lighting, it's almost impossible to see the lines and details of the flares and how they work with the body lines.
If you follow the autoevolution link there are more pics + a red ST that shows the lines better.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I want to like them since the wide body portion looks pretty aggressive, but they they are the polar opposite of a ‘clean’ look.

I’d probably be ok with full on replacement fender panels, but the bolt on ones with all the fastener holes are too retro looking for my tastes.
Hoping someone gets them and make a custom setup where they fill the holes and bond the panels on to make it look cleaner and more integrated.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bolt on fenders always look terrible on street cars. But hey, to each their own.

As for the lines, it's a bit too wide for my tastes. A kit with just a slight "OEM" looking flare would be wonderful.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
It’s about 50% too much. A little more toned down or middle ground would be better.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I doubt that those front wheels can turn the car very much at all. For this to work, I think you'd have to do some serious trimming of the stock wheel arches before installing. Rear wheels appear photoshopped, too, since they are showing the big Brembos back there. Tires appear to be something like a 285 in front and maybe a 295 or 305 in the rear. Doing the rears only would remind me of the hopped-up Renault Le Car R5 Turbo they made in limited numbers:

b1960971c2002ee98c4ab42ea5a6a150.jpg

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sadly I think these images are renders, the ST and RS appear to be in the exact same position and same reflections. Will definitely have to cut up the stock fenders, wouldn't be much point otherwise.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Sadly I think these images are renders, the ST and RS appear to be in the exact same position and same reflections. Will definitely have to cut up the stock fenders, wouldn't be much point otherwise.
it should also be pointed out the focus ST has a 2013/2014 front end, 2013/2014 rear bumper but 2015+ rear lights/hatch/rear quarter panels. something is definitely fishy about it.

edit: and in the photos of the close up of the wheel/front fender, the lug nuts are impossibly close to the wheel bore to fit a socket in, and they are 5 pointed lug nuts... those dont exist

·
Registered
185 Posts
it should also be pointed out the focus ST has a 2013/2014 front end, 2013/2014 rear bumper but 2015+ rear lights/hatch/rear quarter panels. something is definitely fishy about it.

edit: and in the photos of the close up of the wheel/front fender, the lug nuts are impossibly close to the wheel bore to fit a socket in, and they are 5 pointed lug nuts... those dont exist
Haha, you are right. Also check the rear brake caliper location in the pictures. Looks like the wheels/tires/calipers were just photoshopped from some other car then mirrored left or right for different pics.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts