Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 2017 RS2 for all of 24 hours and am brand new to the forum (so pardon my ignorance). When I purchased the car, the BOV was quiet loud when lifting off the throttle, even around 3k rpm in normal mode. I assumed it was aftermarket and asked the dealer to put the car on the lift to double-check that everything was stock on the car. The mechanic stated that the car was entirely stock and that the BOVs on the stock cars are just loud. I've watched a number of in-car FoRS driving videos and my BOV sounds much louder than any video I've seen. I want to confirm with other owners that this is in fact that case and there's nothing unusual about my car. I really have nothing to compare it against, so any insight would be great!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the system is a bit louder than your standard turbo car but, this is a performance car. If you have any doubts in your mechanic all you need to do is remove the passenger side front wheel and look back towards the turbo. The stock valve is a crappy little black plastic disc with a vacuum line, the aftermarket are going to be aluminum and stick out farther than stock.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The stock BOV is recirculating and you will never hear it. The closest you get to hearing anything like that is under heavy acceleration you will hear the intake suck air like nobodys business. If you are hearing something like a BOV that is venting to atmosphere you have a leak that needs to be addressed. As Kyle stated the BOV is visible with the passenger front wheel removed and it should be pretty obvious the size difference between stock and aftermarket. In this video you can see the difference between stock and aftermarket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses! I should have just trusted my instincts. I have no idea how a trained mechanic with a lift could look overlook this. I guess my next questions would be does this void my warranty? If not, what is the best recirculating BOV, is the mountune one any good?
49222.jpg

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Honestly that 50/50 bypass valve that’s installed is one of the best, imo. Just make sure it’s 1-2 turns from full tight and you may want to check which spring is installed in it. They recommend the pink spring for the RS but ship with the orange spring, depending on when it was purchased.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts