Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many of you would be interested in a bolt-in 4-pt roll bar kit? The roll bar kit would;
  1. Improve roll-over protection
  2. Improve structural rigidity
  3. Include an integrated harness bar (for shoulder belts)
  4. Be fully powder-coated and have a very OEM-like appearance
  5. Would be safer than OEM for HPDE events
In terms of "negatives", a roll-bar kit would;
  1. Eliminate the option to safely transport rear seat passengers
  2. Would require minimal interior trim panel mods (although these panels are shared by "normal" Focus trim levels and are likely inexpensive.)
Just trying to see if this is something we should analyze for potential development.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I would be interested.

Jim

·
Registered
315 Posts
In a 4 door car for me, it's a waste, especially since the car is relatively expensive for what it is. If this car is 10 years old then yes, may be worth it as crashing it may not hurt so much

·
Registered
376 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a bolt in cage be for looks alone? I have always thought that tracks require weld in due to safety concerns.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Probably not for me, I'll be using the rear seat too often. For people who plan to use the RS as a track weapon I can see it being more appealing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm in so long as it does not impact seat and seat backframe adjustability. I need every inch of leg and head room (helmet inclusive).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a bolt in cage be for looks alone? I have always thought that tracks require weld in due to safety concerns.
Depends on the sanctioning body... but a bolt in cage can be very safe if well engineered. For track days, I haven't heard of a club/group that requires that it's welded in. Sure there is one somewhere, just not that I've heard of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would definetly be in for it, already located one in the UK has a bolt in X bar so it can be removed when rear seat access is needed, just sent an e-mail to them today and waiting on a reply from the company. Having something available in the US would be much better though. Willie

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, as Gokart3 already stated, it is up to the governing body. For "real" wheel to wheel racing where car to car contact is a reality in every race, then yes, most likely you are going to want a weld-in cage, stripped interior, etc. For occasional HPDE events where you want to wear shoulder belts, the additional roll-over protection of a roll bar can be a real safety advantage.

What are we looking at weight-wise?
I'd estimate at this time about 40-50lbs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as I'm putting in a "full containment" racing halo seat, w/6 pnt harness.
Be careful on the street as a lot of Halo seats will reduce side to side visibility and, as such, can be dangerous. They can also earn you a ticket in California. 6-pt harness is great for serious road racing - but make suree you have additional roll-over protection if you go that route!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Any cage in a street car, one that is not driven with a helmet on, is often a liability. The last thing you want to do is introduce something that your head might make contact with - more dangerous rather than a safety add.
Good to remember - I'm not even sure that application-specific rollbar padding would protect the head - the rollbar would need to be perfectly placed and also take into account the max front/rear seat slider position. I'd have to see the RS (or an ST) to see if it will safe installed in the typical B-pillar spot.

Jim

·
Registered
336 Posts
Be careful on the street as a lot of Halo seats will reduce side to side visibility and, as such, can be dangerous. They can also earn you a ticket in California. 6-pt harness is great for serious road racing - but make suree you have additional roll-over protection if you go that route!
I've got a 6'4" seated heigth, and I'm putting in a race seat built for my specific width-and-heigth dimensions. I also wear a XXXL helmet, so a lowered seatpan-to-floor dimension is critical. I'll dial in a perfect dimension for the "halo", so visibility will NOT be hindered. I broke 2 vertabrae (and 8 teeth) in a previous race crash, so the halo is a necessity for me.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Wondering how many of you would be interested in a bolt-in 4-pt roll bar kit? The roll bar kit would;
  1. Improve roll-over protection
  2. Improve structural rigidity
  3. Include an integrated harness bar (for shoulder belts)
  4. Be fully powder-coated and have a very OEM-like appearance
  5. Would be safer than OEM for HPDE events
In terms of "negatives", a roll-bar kit would;
  1. Eliminate the option to safely transport rear seat passengers
  2. Would require minimal interior trim panel mods (although these panels are shared by "normal" Focus trim levels and are likely inexpensive.)
Just trying to see if this is something we should analyze for potential development.
And IMO require real seats, not OEM seats and 5/6 point harnesses.

Personally for me, the car is too new to go all out on the safety gear. I have 2 dedicated track vehicles already so the Focus will only see the track occasionally.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
14 Participants
Dave-ROR
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing