Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, contacted Forge Motorsports. Said they need the car released in order to design a blow-off valve. Maybe you have guessed by now, I want one. lol

Tried to be a little fast and I asked Forge if it would of been the same valve as the Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost. But the answer came up for waiting a little longer.

Any plans with you guys? Turbosmart made a ajustable one if you we're to get annoyed by the extra boost going to the atmosphere. I guess since I was a kid I always wanted one + first new car.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'd imagine the recirc valve on these will be pretty loud... Some are some aren't! I'd wait to drive it before you try to purchase something haha.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time will tell. The FoST wasn't loud at all and it's boosting pretty high pressure also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll get a vent to atmosphere BOV as long as it doesn't confuse the ECU. Some control units depend on the recirculated air to function properly. I had an HKS SSQV in the past and loved it.... Pretty quit unless WOT and let off.

It's ironic that I want a VTA BOV but seem to be the only guy on the forum who wants to take the wing off..... I want it to look like a sleeper, but not sound like one ;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
vta will require a tune, I highly recommend you don't try it without a custom tune at that.
if you want to be the annoying car in the neighborhood dont stop with a a big bov dumping under the hood, but add a screamer pipe and then people will notice
I realize its not a focus but you get the idea with this

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
vta will require a tune, I highly recommend you don't try it without a custom tune at that.
if you want to be the annoying car in the neighborhood dont stop with a a big bov dumping under the hood, but add a screamer pipe and then people will notice
I realize its not a focus but you get the idea with this
Since the ST is not a MAF car, no tune is needed for a BOV

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have a BOV in my ST. No ill effects running it without a tune. I don't plan on running one in the RS. It was cool for a while, but I've had my fun.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have a BOV in my ST. No ill effects running it without a tune. I don't plan on running one in the RS. It was cool for a while, but I've had my fun.
how do you measure no ill effects? because your engine has not detonated? or you have monitoring software and datalogs?
i am not intimate with the ford ecoboost architecture yet but any time a bov vents before the maf you are basically running pig rich. is that going to blow the car... no. is it good... no.
is the stock recirc valve before or after the maf?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
how do you measure no ill effects? because your engine has not detonated? or you have monitoring software and datalogs?
i am not intimate with the ford ecoboost architecture yet but any time a bov vents before the maf you are basically running pig rich. is that going to blow the car... no. is it good... no.
is the stock recirc valve before or after the maf?
The ST is not MAF, it's MAP.

·
Registered
315 Posts
keep it quiet.

I can't help but laugh a little when kids put bov on stock turbo cars. They probably think they're so cool, next mod probably under glow OMG lol.

On Big Turbo application, then there is purpose.

·
Registered
317 Posts
keep it quiet.

I can't help but laugh a little when kids put bov on stock turbo cars. They probably think they're so cool, next mod probably under glow OMG lol.

Wait, under glow NOT cool anymore, damm im getting so old. Next you will tell me that fuzzy dice are a no-no...;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
and here I am learning, as mentioned I haven't spent time under the hood of an ecoboost, all that will change as soon as I get the keys. map is obviously not effected the same as maf
last boost wagon I owned was a speed3 and it sucked nuts to tune
I'm trading in a speed3 when I get the RS, and with a reputable tuner, the process is quite simple.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'd rather block off the BPV. Hell no to a BOV though. Can't stand them. Off throttle compressor surge is harmless.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
keep it quiet.

Actually there is no purpose with a big turbo. BOV is for noise, nothing else.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd rather block off the BPV. Hell no to a BOV though. Can't stand them. Off throttle compressor surge is harmless.
If you are using it for a racecar maybe... Problems I have seen are turbo failure within 25,000 and lots of hose clamp failures. After getting t-bolt clamps, the turbo didn't last another 5K.... Only time I have seen a turbo not fail from no BOV was on an RX7 with a GT35r... But I don't think the guy has even put close to 15,000 miles on it over the last 8 years.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you are using it for a racecar maybe... Problems I have seen are turbo failure within 25,000 and lots of hose clamp failures. After getting t-bolt clamps, the turbo didn't last another 5K.... Only time I have seen a turbo not fail from no BOV was on an RX7 with a GT35r... But I don't think the guy has even put close to 15,000 miles on it over the last 8 years.
I run without one on my turbo cars with at least 200,000 miles between the few of them with zero abnormal turbo wear. The boost spike on lift happens both with and without a BPV/BOV. This can be seen with dataloggers easily so not sure how you are going to lost clamps without one.

My 94 MR2 hasn't had a BOV on it for a long while now. It's still just fine. I've had turbo cars that didn't have one from the factory, ~120k miles on the original turbo... sold the car at that point who knows how much longer it went. The BPV was introduced as a NVH measure. BOV were introduced for the sound. They lose all boost pressure and actually result in slower lap times. Off throttle compressor surge does NOT kill turbos. It won't make it spin backwards or any other nonsense either. ON throttle compressor surge WILL destroy a turbo.

Having said that I understand the fear people have in this area and it's your car so do what you wish of course.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'll either keep it stock recirc or adjustable BOV because I still want some recirc for quicker on throttle boost and not to be too loud. MY buddy is ordering one for his ST and I'll wait to hear his before I order one. I know the open air filter and stock recirc make some good turbo noises already.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'll either keep it stock recirc or adjustable BOV because I still want some recirc for quicker on throttle boost and not to be too loud. MY buddy is ordering one for his ST and I'll wait to hear his before I order one. I know the open air filter and stock recirc make some good turbo noises already.
Yeah BOV to atmosphere is the worst setup as ALL boost is lost. Nothing is quickest as the least boost is lost. Recirc is there for a purpose and what I use on MAF cars.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts