Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
My '16 RS2 was originally sold in MI and did not have a block heater installed. Unfortunately, my Ford dealer in AK quoted over $1000 to install one and I can't bring myself to do that. Curious what you're quoted if you go ahead with it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
CV6Z 6A051 C for the heater itself

CM5Z 6B018 B for the cord, however the cord shows no stock anywhere currently.

These part numbers are directly from my serial number for my Canadian Spec RS with a block heater.

As for the location mine hangs out just in front of mu LH headlamp, I always put the plug cover back on and it doesn't seem to scratch anything.
ok, sorry guys, re read this whole thread again. see the parts listed on tasca. has anyone actually installed 1 of these? also i have no idea how to tell if my car already has 1 and i just didnt get the cord or where this tiny thing screws into the block?

from st forum
"You should be able to feel around the throttle body (right in the middle of the front of the engine) for the port if you want to ensure that you have the element to plug the wiring assembly into. The port protrudes from the engine (towards the of the car) and is about 1/2" in diameter and has two pins about the size of a pen tip."

also read some people installing them retro with no problems.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
ok, sorry guys, re read this whole thread again. see the parts listed on tasca. has anyone actually installed 1 of these? also i have no idea how to tell if my car already has 1 and i just didnt get the cord or where this tiny thing screws into the block?

from st forum
"You should be able to feel around the throttle body (right in the middle of the front of the engine) for the port if you want to ensure that you have the element to plug the wiring assembly into. The port protrudes from the engine (towards the of the car) and is about 1/2" in diameter and has two pins about the size of a pen tip."

also read some people installing them retro with no problems.
The plug is at the front of the engine, a bit towards the intake box on the driver side. If you have the heater element installed but not the chord (which was my case) look for a round plug with two prongs that is threaded on the outside.

I used the cord for the ST (got it for 8$ on ebay instead of 100$cad+ for the RS specific cord). P/N was CM53-6A050-AB. Worked perfectly all clips mated perfectly to the hoses and tubes. Was able to bring it in front of the intercooler so I dont have to leave it hanging below the headlight or open the hood each time. Routing to this location was possible by removing the passenger side headlight and fishing the cord through the small hole between the bumper cover and what must have been the intercooler plastic surround piece/shroud. The cord has a connector towards the end that allows it to be splitted and fished through that opening.

Added a few pictures of the install if this helps. If you dont have the heater itself I guess the hole will have a blank cap in it. Cant help with the heater plug install though as mine was installed from factory (was real dirty though from the 3 winters without the cord)!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
For those looking for the heater element, this is for builds 10/2016 and later. Not sure of the change, perhaps a vendor swap?

GJ7Z-6A051-C

Looks like the -B will fit too.

Reactions: tedsRS

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I finally got around to installing the heater element. You'll need a 14mm Hex head socket to remove the plug, a 34mm socket to install the heater, and a gallon of coolant. I borrowed an axle nut socket set from Autozone to install the heater, as I didn't want to buy a 1-time use 34mm socket. I only installed the heater element, and I figure that I'll get around to the wiring when I move to a colder climate as that shouldn't take too much effort.

The service manual calls for removing both undertrays, draining the radiator, then pulling the plug. As I did the job on Race Ramps, I ended up not getting enough coolant out and ended up getting at least half a gallon coming out of the block at the install site. So, if you're doing this at home, just pull the main undertray and undo the plug but have a large container to catch the coolant. Overall, this was a really easy install compared to heater elements in other cars.

The manual calls for torqueing the heater element to 41 ft*lbs, which leaves about half the threads sticking out. When comparing the install depth of the original plug with how deep the heater element ended up being, it looks about right after all.

I got the element from Tasca for about $70, and the cord from eBay for about $20.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Been looking at a house recently, and with the house come the wonders of outdoor water and the ability to run an extension cord out to the car. Considering installing one of these in my RS so I can have instant heat in the cold winter days.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Been looking at a house recently, and with the house come the wonders of outdoor water and the ability to run an extension cord out to the car. Considering installing one of these in my RS so I can have instant heat in the cold winter days.
These don't provide instant heat. It only heats the coolant within the block, doesn't circulate the whole time.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
These don't provide instant heat. It only heats the coolant within the block, doesn't circulate the whole time.
If you can keep a cars coolant at 60-80° when ambient outside temps are 20-20° then the heat is basically instant. Its not just the coolant that's warm, that heat transfers to the block, heads, other metal items...etc. 80-90° coolant will defrost a frozen windscreen pretty darn fast.

The oil will be well above cold start temps so it lubricates faster on start-up. Less current draw on the battery too.

Once the engine is running the cold coolant in the heater core will get cycled out instantly. The radiator loop won't open up until coolant comes up to 195°, but by that point you have all the heat you need.

What I would do is build a custom plug. I'd wire in a battery charger somewhere so that not only did the engine block heater warm the engine up, it would also be keeping the battery topped off as well.

Basically pre-heating the engine will probably net you a 1 to 2mpg increase in your average fuel economy. And it'll cost you pennies a day to use it, if that.

Based on the pics its maybe a 500w heater. So to run a 500w heater for 2 hours will cost you about 1kw in electricity. Which is nothing. Even if you use it every day of the month that's 31kwh.

So, yeah, I know its not instant heat like an electric heater would be. But it would offer Luke warm heat instantly, and the engine would come up to operating temp really fast. There are many benefits to using it.

And if we get another polar vortex? Hell, I'll keep it plugged in 24 hours straight.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That is correct. They come included with just about every focus in Canada (both my foST and foRS) but neither installed. This year I’ve got to get it done for when I go ice racing, just helping take the edge off the oil/coolant when it’s -20°c would be worth it

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Some guys wire in a battery heater + block heater + battery charger together, so when you plug the car in at night you benefit from all 3. I suppose that's super useful in the great white north.

Reactions: 320icar

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you can keep a cars coolant at 60-80° when ambient outside temps are 20-20° then the heat is basically instant. Its not just the coolant that's warm, that heat transfers to the block, heads, other metal items...etc. 80-90° coolant will defrost a frozen windscreen pretty darn fast.

The oil will be well above cold start temps so it lubricates faster on start-up. Less current draw on the battery too.

Once the engine is running the cold coolant in the heater core will get cycled out instantly. The radiator loop won't open up until coolant comes up to 195°, but by that point you have all the heat you need.

What I would do is build a custom plug. I'd wire in a battery charger somewhere so that not only did the engine block heater warm the engine up, it would also be keeping the battery topped off as well.

Basically pre-heating the engine will probably net you a 1 to 2mpg increase in your average fuel economy. And it'll cost you pennies a day to use it, if that.

Based on the pics its maybe a 500w heater. So to run a 500w heater for 2 hours will cost you about 1kw in electricity. Which is nothing. Even if you use it every day of the month that's 31kwh.

So, yeah, I know its not instant heat like an electric heater would be. But it would offer Luke warm heat instantly, and the engine would come up to operating temp really fast. There are many benefits to using it.

And if we get another polar vortex? Hell, I'll keep it plugged in 24 hours straight.
I live in northern canada, **** isn't warm in the winter. I plug my car in every day come winter time. Thank ford for heated seats and wheel while I defrost 🙌

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Some guys wire in a battery heater + block heater + battery charger together, so when you plug the car in at night you benefit from all 3. I suppose that's super useful in the great white north.
thats genius. I was just talking about the battery issue in the lightweight oddesey thread. Block heater + battery heater would solve those issues

·
Registered
136 Posts
thats genius. I was just talking about the battery issue in the lightweight oddesey thread. Block heater + battery heater would solve those issues
Idk man, 170 CCA isn't much at all. If you had to park somewhere for a few hrs without a plug in you might be pushing it. Only reason I haven't done the grimmspeed lightweight battery either.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
@Sickflo_rs youre not wrong. But remember I’m in the metro-Vancouver area. It’s probably the most mild weather in all of Canada. I’d only be worried about 2-3 trips to the interior per year

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey guys,

When you use your block heater, where do you leave it when you're done? Back inside the engine bay? Have you found a way to leave it out and not scratch the car?

White specs in the picture is ice, not paint chips.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
It just hangs out behind the mesh. It's fairly stiff so it doesn't move around.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If I did this, I would probably route it to the front of the car near the intercooler as well so it was easily accessible without popping the hood.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts