Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

When you use your block heater, where do you leave it when you're done? Back inside the engine bay? Have you found a way to leave it out and not scratch the car?

White specs in the picture is ice, not paint chips.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys,

When you use your block heater, where do you leave it when you're done? Back inside the engine bay? Have you found a way to leave it out and not scratch the car?

By the way, do you the block heater wattage (I was told 500W)? I am looking for a Temperature Controller to only turn on the heater when below -15C.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way, do you the block heater wattage (I was told 500W)? I am looking for a Temperature Controller to only turn on the heater when below -15C.
No, I don't know the Wattage. It should be relatively easy to find out online.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Does anyone have the part number for the block heater?
Is it just a simple heat element or does it have a circulation pump as well?

This is the only "Block Heater" thread on the site, so Im askin here!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Need this as well. I asked my dealer and they gave me the PN for the base Focus. I can only assume it's probably not the same?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just plan on popping the hood and leaving it unlatched like you did when it's plugged in.

Ford once used a plug that was connected to the car with an outlet cover. You would lift the cover and plug the extension cord in, not sure why they stopped.
what.jpg

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wow, that's a cool setup, having your block heater powered by that stationary bike. Is the cord plugged into the bike directly? It must get cold running the bike for a while to warm of the block.

Hey guys,

·
Registered
233 Posts
CV6Z 6A051 C for the heater itself

CM5Z 6B018 B for the cord, however the cord shows no stock anywhere currently.

These part numbers are directly from my serial number for my Canadian Spec RS with a block heater.

As for the location mine hangs out just in front of mu LH headlamp, I always put the plug cover back on and it doesn't seem to scratch anything.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts

It's just a heating coil. Recirculating heaters are not suitable. They completely fool the cold start system thinking the car is warm so you don't get the appropriate mixture and idle speed. Probably screws up the catalytic converter as well.
The recirculating heater pumps out hot air right away though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that's a cool setup, having your block heater powered by that stationary bike. Is the cord plugged into the bike directly? It must get cold running the bike for a while to warm of the block.
Funny guy. Look closer.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
There was in install sheet. Here's the routing I used. I have it tucked around the coolant tank since I seldom use mine.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Block heater has the orange cord plugged in it.
DSC02468.JPG

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
What temps are you guys seeing these to be necessary? My car fired right off immediately in the single digits and it was sub zero over night. I was actually hugely impressed that it did so well, fast crank, lit right off.

·
Registered
848 Posts
What temps are you guys seeing these to be necessary? My car fired right off immediately in the single digits and it was sub zero over night. I was actually hugely impressed that it did so well, fast crank, lit right off.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It isn't only about the car being able to start. It's about the longevity of the block.

Subjecting it to sub zero temperatures and then starting it/driving it causes more metal stress than it would if you 'pre heat' the block with the block heater.

The greater the change in temperature and the faster this change happens, the worse it is for the life of your block. It's better to have the block warmer than ambient temperatures when it starts getting heat from the engine.

I've had a cracked block before from not plugging in my vehicle.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My dealer didn't know how to install it, as it was in the trunk with the rear license plate fasteners when I picked it up... Thankfully it's not really needed in my area.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts