Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

I tried adjusting the mirror both ways like in the above link.

How would you adjust the main mirror of the focus RS since it has blind spot mirror?
Do you adjust the main mirror so that it sees the side of your car...? YES Will that aim the blind spot mirror properly? YES
You adjust the main mirror normally to avoid blind spots; the blind spot mirror is just a small convex ( wide angle) mirror in outside upper corner ...just like the current STs.

However, in your RS since you will be and ahead and faster than almost everything else on the road most of the time blind spots will be moot.

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
709 Posts
Love mine in the ST. You adjust the main mirror and the blind spot mirror in the upper left remains stationary. This is my first car with them and they do work quite well, especially as B and C pillars get larger and larger.

It doesn't remove the requirement to give a look over your shoulder, but the blind spot mirror gives you that extra bit of comfort when changing lanes that a normal side view mirror does not.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Easy, just put on proper mirrors after you get the RS.

Blindspot mirrors impairs your vision and is pointless for those who know how to use mirrors.
This. Adjust your mirrors properly. My dad showed me the SAE method when I first started driving. Now when I get in someone's car and half the mirror space is looking at their own damn car I just shake my head. There is only one situation when you need to use your side view mirror as a rear view mirror and that's when you're trying to get out of a line of traffic to an adjacent open lane. If I'm stuck in a situation like that I'll move my mirror.

Regardless, I won't bother replacing the mirrors. I can see fine enough with the convex mirrors still on my ST.

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Yeah, with my mirror adjustments on the Fusion I got as a rental one year the blind spot mirror was no impact.

Also, while mine is not SAE I adjust my side mirrors until at my normal position my car just disappears. If I move a little I can still see my car but at a glance its not there. My center mirrors normally a little to the right of center, anymore left and I see my self rather than more road.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This. Adjust your mirrors properly. My dad showed me the SAE method when I first started driving. Now when I get in someone's car and half the mirror space is looking at their own damn car I just shake my head. There is only one situation when you need to use your side view mirror as a rear view mirror and that's when you're trying to get out of a line of traffic to an adjacent open lane. If I'm stuck in a situation like that I'll move my mirror.

Regardless, I won't bother replacing the mirrors. I can see fine enough with the convex mirrors still on my ST.
Actually, I would use the side mirrors for parallel parking.
I do the SAE method, and I also do the one where when you're sitting upright in normal driving position you adjust mirrors so that you stop adjusting the moment the side of the car dissappears.

Currently my mirrors are adjusted to the point where I lean as far to the left or right with my neck/head/eyes, while not allowing my torso to leave the seat, and adjusting mirrors to the point the side of the car disappears. This is the spot where I can see blind spot, and also do parallel parking with side mirrors.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I lecture everyone I see not using the SAE method. So many people can't see sh!t out of their mirrors.

On a somewhat related note, do Foci have passenger mirrors that automatically dip when you put the car in reverse for parallel parking? My current car has this and I like it as an added safety measure against accidental curbing of my wheels.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I lecture everyone I see not using the SAE method. So many people can't see sh!t out of their mirrors.

On a somewhat related note, do Foci have passenger mirrors that automatically dip when you put the car in reverse for parallel parking? My current car has this and I like it as an added safety measure against accidental curbing of my wheels.
Nope.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well - i thought it would come with the "drive assist" package and have the lane change warning system.. i guess not at 41K..

·
Registered
386 Posts
Easy, just put on proper mirrors after you get the RS.

Blindspot mirrors impairs your vision and is pointless for those who know how to use mirrors.
Agree on this. I cover all my blind spots with just regular ones. Have to do some "fine" tuning.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The Euro standard for exterior mirrors is different, minimum size is bigger. That mirror looks taller than the one on the NA FoST IIRC.

Also judging from the reflection it may be that the whole mirror is slightly convex so the blind spot is covered properly without needing the secondary mirror.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I never buy cars with poor outward visibility.
I still swivel my head around when parking, and just "sense" the mirrors. Coincidentally, I back all my vehicle in.. & latest technology makes it easier, but it is not needed. Canopy is important.

But, good mirrors are a must for any competent driver.
I like large single mirrors, (that autodim, plz).

As it stands, & even watching all the videos you can see a lot of action from the RS's side & rear views. One video is from a helmet cam, and you can see the RS has great outward visibility and mirror locations. No different than the ST & I wish the RS had better optics (instrument cluster, mirrors w/auto-dim & sweeping bi-xenon/led headlights, plz.)

·
Registered
420 Posts
While we are talking odds and ends does the rs have entry number pad or self dim rear view mirror like the focus titanium ???

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
This is true. The euro mirrors are convex and look better IMO than having that little autozone stick on looking mirror that we get.

The Euro standard for exterior mirrors is different, minimum size is bigger. That mirror looks taller than the one on the NA FoST IIRC.

Also judging from the reflection it may be that the whole mirror is slightly convex so the blind spot is covered properly without needing the secondary mirror.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
EsotericRS
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing