Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, I blew my engine yesterday. 2020 is a disaster.

Car Info:
  • 2017, 89K miles, Already done HG Recall at 7K miles ish
  • Modded and Tuned, (basic bolts on, catless downpipe, catback, Intake etc.)

(Not going to contact Ford since I am way pass warranty, and I voided it anyway.), Before someone ask, I don't think its the tuner's fault or anyone's fault but mine. Car was relatively high mileage and it pushing around 390whp on E30.

Just here to ask for suggestions on what should I do next. This is my first turbo car, also my first blown engine, I have no clue on what to do next. I've been doing some research on FoRS Facebook group as well as here in FoRS.org, A lot of people were replacing it with a built motor. But I honestly do not feel like building a motor, since it will be very costly (I assume? Since it need to pieces them back together), I will not be the one swapping/building the motor, so parts + labor = kill me already. :cry:

So right now I have 2 plans in mind,
Plan A is to buy a 2nd hand engine in a local junk yard, found someone selling them for like $4500 for 15,000 miles. (That w/o Turbo and some other components).
So just buy it and swap it back to my car? And just take it easy?
Plan B would be just selling it as is with a blown engine, since car has relatively good parts in it (JRZ coilovers, Rays Wheels, carbon fiber bits etc.) Maybe I can sell it with $9K or maybe even $10K if I am lucky? (Car had been paid off if that makes any differences)

So far I am more towards to Plan A cause I still love that car very very much and I have a lot of memories with it so I will try to keep it as long as I can.

If you guys have another suggestions please let me know,
Any suggestions help, kinda desperate here.:cry: ( I am emotionally under blown engine coma.)

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Contact Adam at TunePlus and buy yourself a built engine.

What motor oil did you use?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Yeah, the problem with an otherwise great-running engine with a solid tune popping is almost certainly LSPI. The Motorcraft oils, and other SN have too much calcium detergents for direct injection turbocharged engines. I’ve had 2 pop due to LSPI.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My coffee has not yet kicked in but I am curious as to what happened with the engine for it to reach such a sad state.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
I get it, your head is spinning right now! Replace the motor. You said you love the car. What in this price range is as fun or unique? I‘m guessing “plan A” would save you $ too.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Ooof bummer OP... this thought is always in the back of my head, specially now since we pretty much have the same mileage, model year and paid off.

Whats the exact assessment on the engine? Windowed the block? Siezed? Etc. Maybe some of it is salvageable and just need to be rebuilt?

As much of a pain it is, I wouldnt sell the car as-is. I would take off the after market parts and sell them individually, then sell the remaining car to a wrecker. From my experience, you will always have a better return doing it that way. Or, if you really love the platform, save the parts and try to find a used RS to transfer it to.

I really feel for ya man. It's a really tough situation, specially in these times. I've spent $$$ building and rebuilding a totalled project car because I love it so much. Doesn't make financial sense, but it does for mental health lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would be concerned about getting an engine from the junkyard for this car. Who is to say that there wasn’t any issues from the HG on that engine, if it was even done. I would consider getting the engine from the junkyard just for the block but I wouldn’t trust that the HG was done properly so probably be redoing the top of the engine anyway. I think at that point it would be easier to get a built engine.

Personally I would look at getting your turbo rebuilt as well, I know steamspeed will upgrade and service your turbo for $900 SteamSpeed STX 67 Turbo for Focus RS Upgrade Service. When engines go pop, depending on what goes there is a pretty good chance whatever was in your cylinders went through the vanes of your turbo.

I know it looks like the dollars are racking up quick but it is better to be safe than sorry, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a good while.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
What oil brand/weight should we be using to prevent this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5W-50......Mobil 1 & Amsoil mention preventing LSPI in there ads. They specifically mention direct injection, turbo cars.
Remember (trying to stay on track) we don’t know why the OP’s engine quit.
⬇ Well put. My initial thought.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,574 Posts
5W-50......Mobil 1 & Amsoil mention preventing LSPI in there ads. They specifically mention direct injection, turbo cars. I’m sure there are many more, but these two are readily available. It may give you peace of mind, but is it really necessary? It seems like some very savvy folks aren’t panicking over LSPI. First two rules of stick shift, don’t ride the clutch, don’t lug the engine. Circa 1932
^This^ I mean, I'm not saying LSPI is made up, but if it was that huge of concern, wouldn't we be seeing all GDI engines grenading themselves prematurely? Or at least a good portion of them. In the video linked above, keep in mind who's giving the information. It's a sales guy. A really good sales guy at that. The southern accent really helps in sounding genuine. And being in sales myself, I can tell you the job of a sales guy is to make you believe you want (NEED) what I'm selling. With all research findings, you always have to look at who conducted the study and who is doling out the info. Like I said, I'm sure this is a real problem. But it seems this can be exacerbated by bad driving habits. You shouldn't be lugging the engine on ANY car. With 28k miles on my RS, running a tune for almost 18k of those, using Motorcraft 5W-50, I would think I would be seeing knock all over the place, which I don't. There are others that have mileage way beyond mine in the mileage thread. I mean, heck, @RedBaron80 just said he hit 109K a couple days ago. I would never imagine this engine holding out for that long. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, with my four 12-packs of Motorcraft 5W-50 I have in my garage (that I scored on a ridiculous deal posted on here a while ago). Shout out to @bbq_pork !!!

·
Premium Member
8,038 Posts
If a am in your shoes (and I hope I never be), I would go plan A.

I know you said you are not going with a built motor.... but if you are already in the process might as well get an enforced motor especially if you are planning to keep it rather than flip it.

Is the whole motor done or just the short block?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I didn’t read all the threads so I apologise if someone has already said this.

Early Head Gaskets Replacements -

1/ An incorrect gasket replaced an incorrect gasket.
2/ Fitting procedure changed as earlier versions leaked both oil and coolant.

So first point of call make a video of the head removal to see if you have the correct HG and correct sealant in the correct places

GOOD LUCK 👍

1 - 20 of 62 Posts