Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea if these are going to be a PITA to keep clean or maintain?

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is supposed to be like Alcantra which is like suede and very easy to keep clean.

YMMV,

MidCow3
I've been wondering if it'll be a light brush and vacuum to help keep these seats fresh looking.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I've been wondering if it'll be a light brush and vacuum to help keep these seats fresh looking.

I had Alcantra in an IS300 and it was very easy to keep clean. Almost no effort. Maybe an occasional light brush. The Alcantra seemed to wear very well. I am hoping the Black Leather Recaro Seats with Miko-Dinamica Inserts and RS Logo is similarly easy to keep clean and are very durable.

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I had Alcantra in an IS300 and it was very easy to keep clean. Almost no effort. Maybe an occasional light brush. The Alcantra seemed to wear very well. I am hoping the Black Leather Recaro Seats with Miko-Dinamica Inserts and RS Logo is similarly easy to keep clean and are very durable.

YMMV,

MidCow3
You and me both when it comes to durability.

Next question would be what cleaner and conditioner for the rest of the leather seats and frequency.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Alcantara is relatively easy to maintain, as is leather. You could use a dedicated leather cleaner / conditioner for the leather and a dedicated fabric / carpet cleaner for the alcantara.

As for cleaning, you can vacuum to your hearts content, but I would limit the amount of chemical cleaning you do, especially on leather. Make sure you use a soft bristled brush or microfiber towel when scrubbing and make sure to scrub lightly as you could scrub right through the color.

Best thing to do I get the leather and fabric surfaces coated. Then watch as water beads up like it does on a freshly waxed vehicle. Coated seats will become hydrophobic and make any liquids bead. It's a UV protective so it will reduce any fading. Finally, is will reduce the chances of cracking.

Just this past weekend I performed an Interior Detail on an 09' Lancer Evo...similar setup. Because of the wear I elected to use an all purpose cleaner on the leather and a fabric cleaner of the alcantara. Those products and the power of steam just right through the dirt and left behind nice clean seats!

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I use Stay Fresh Car Care Leather cleaner and conditioner. I use the conditioner every 6 months, or close to it. I've been really happy with the results. It keeps the same non glossy look of the Recaro seats. It soaks in really quickly, and evenly.. I use a micro fiber cloth to apply, then a clean micro fiber cloth to buff clean... Just my two cents..... I would probably keep this away from the Miko-Dinamica stuff though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will occasionally have to transport my Yellow Labrador when my RS finally arrives. Can anyone recommend a quality vendor for back seat covers?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I will occasionally have to transport my Yellow Labrador when my RS finally arrives. Can anyone recommend a quality vendor for back seat covers?
http://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-Wander-Hammock-Cover-Orange/dp/B00164U144 $53.99 on Amazon It takes 5 minutes to install or remove. it hooks over two front headrests and back head rests. I also recommend you make a lease with rope that hooks around back center rest to allow dog to only come forward so far and not stand on your gearshift knob :D

It works great! I use it all the time on the ST. :triumphant:

YMMV,

MidCow3

It works great! I use it all the time on the

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone have any idea if these are going to be a PITA to keep clean or maintain?

Thoughts?
Good question..I was wondering what Miko Dinamica was.. After some googling it seems its just like alcantara except its made from recycled polyester so its Eco-friendly
Also found out that all of these microfibers alcantara/ultrasuede/miko flame retardant which is interesting since they are essentially plastic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)
What The Hell Is Alcantara, Anyway?
Dinamica® ? Dinamica Miko

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Good question..I was wondering what Miko Dinamica was.. After some googling it seems its just like alcantara except its made from recycled polyester so its Eco-friendly
Also found out that all of these microfibers alcantara/ultrasuede/miko flame retardant which is interesting since they are essentially plastic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)
What The Hell Is Alcantara, Anyway?
Dinamica® ? Dinamica Miko
Asked and Answered :D : http://www.focusrs.org/forum/35-focus-rs-detailing/1110-black-leather-recaro-seats-miko-dinamica-inserts-rs-logo.html#post17754

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
196 Posts
Alcantara is relatively easy to maintain, as is leather. You could use a dedicated leather cleaner / conditioner for the leather and a dedicated fabric / carpet cleaner for the alcantara.

As for cleaning, you can vacuum to your hearts content, but I would limit the amount of chemical cleaning you do, especially on leather. Make sure you use a soft bristled brush or microfiber towel when scrubbing and make sure to scrub lightly as you could scrub right through the color.

Best thing to do I get the leather and fabric surfaces coated. Then watch as water beads up like it does on a freshly waxed vehicle. Coated seats will become hydrophobic and make any liquids bead. It's a UV protective so it will reduce any fading. Finally, is will reduce the chances of cracking.

Just this past weekend I performed an Interior Detail on an 09' Lancer Evo...similar setup. Because of the wear I elected to use an all purpose cleaner on the leather and a fabric cleaner of the alcantara. Those products and the power of steam just right through the dirt and left behind nice clean seats!
if they were coated wouldn't the leather dry out eventually if you couldn't put a conditioner on them every now and then?

·
Registered
334 Posts

What do you user to steam the seats?

·
Registered
309 Posts
if they were coated wouldn't the leather dry out eventually if you couldn't put a conditioner on them every now and then?
I'll try to keep this as simple, because this is a loaded question that's debated often. About 95% of all leather is coated with a vinyl. This is to keep the leather and vinyl pieces in a vehicle aging at a similar rate, as well as to hide leather imperfections. Only about 5% of vehicles have uncounted leather (typically, very high end 300k+ vehicle), but this is also seen on the King Ranch F150. A drop of water on the KR leather alters its color, while all other leathers show no change. When I apply a coating to leather seats, I'm actually applying a coating to the vinyl coating already protecting the leather. This coating is going to provide an even greater level of protection from, uv damage, cracking, color transfer, etc.

Techniqualy speaking, the viynl coating creates an non-porous surface so it prevents anything from actually contacting the true leather surface. This would theoretically mean that a leather conditioner doesn't actually come in contact with the leather. Instead, it's conditioning the the top layer of the coating for a brief period of time before dissipating. This is where the debates begin...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a "sling-style" back sear cover from Duluth which has been very durable. I went through several of them (literally, the dogs ripped the seams from the latch connections) before I spent a little more and it still looks great. It fits really well over the entire back seat of my 2013 ST3.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I have a "sling-style" back sear cover from Duluth which has been very durable. I went through several of them (literally, the dogs ripped the seams from the latch connections) before I spent a little more and it still looks great. It fits really well over the entire back seat of my 2013 ST3.
Yes, I have a large dog and this works great: Kurgo Wander Hammock : http://www.focusrs.org/forum/35-focus-rs-detailing/1110-black-leather-recaro-seats-miko-dinamica-inserts-rs-logo.html#post54736

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll try to keep this as simple, because this is a loaded question that's debated often. About 95% of all leather is coated with a vinyl. This is to keep the leather and vinyl pieces in a vehicle aging at a similar rate, as well as to hide leather imperfections. Only about 5% of vehicles have uncounted leather (typically, very high end 300k+ vehicle), but this is also seen on the King Ranch F150. A drop of water on the KR leather alters its color, while all other leathers show no change. When I apply a coating to leather seats, I'm actually applying a coating to the vinyl coating already protecting the leather. This coating is going to provide an even greater level of protection from, uv damage, cracking, color transfer, etc.

Techniqualy speaking, the viynl coating creates an non-porous surface so it prevents anything from actually contacting the true leather surface. This would theoretically mean that a leather conditioner doesn't actually come in contact with the leather. Instead, it's conditioning the the top layer of the coating for a brief period of time before dissipating. This is where the debates begin...
Interesting. i'll have to dig into this some more. I had no idea this was a topic of discussion even. I guess you would have to look at how porous vinyl is verses the hydrophobic treatment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-Wander-Hammock-Cover-Orange/dp/B00164U144 $53.99 on Amazon It takes 5 minutes to install or remove. it hooks over two front headrests and back head rests. I also recommend you make a lease with rope that hooks around back center rest to allow dog to only come forward so far and not stand on your gearshift knob :D

It works great! I use it all the time on the ST. :triumphant:

YMMV,

MidCow3

It works great! I use it all the time on the
I'll check it out, Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts