Ford Focus RS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Is that short throw an OEM part? Wasn't aware there was one!

·
Registered
949 Posts
It's a Ford Performance part, and it feels great in my bro's Focus ST (which is essentially my guinea pig for trying out parts for the RS haha).
Oh very interesting. Does it feel that much better than our stock RS shifter? Very tempting at the price. My SO just got an STi with a short-throw, and I am really digging the action on that

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh very interesting. Does it feel that much better than our stock RS shifter? Very tempting at the price. My SO just got an STi with a short-throw, and I am really digging the action on that
The throw isn't much shorter but the feel is much better.

In the FoST it feels a lot like the shifter in the Fiesta ST, meaning there's no wiggle or play in the stick and changing gears is smooth and direct, and very satisfying. This is with stock bushings and stock shifter arms on each car.

My RS has a Mountune shifter arm and Cobb bushings, so I'm curious how different it will feel by comparison.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
@ffsuper , you think its good to move this thread there:

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,464 Posts
The throw isn't much shorter but the feel is much better.

In the FoST it feels a lot like the shifter in the Fiesta ST, meaning there's no wiggle or play in the stick and changing gears is smooth and direct, and very satisfying. This is with stock bushings and stock shifter arms on each car.

My RS has a Mountune shifter arm and Cobb bushings, so I'm curious how different it will feel by comparison.
I agree. Throws aren't incredibly short, but the feel is amazing. If I had to describe it in one word, I would say "crisp". No play at all. Only other mod I did was the Boomba shifter base bushings because I was already in there anyways. Feels nice and tight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is there a difference in height between the stock shifter and the FP shifter? I like the stock height, but would like to tighten up the side to side play a little. BTW, CJ has them for $233.09 now.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Is there a difference in height between the stock shifter and the FP shifter? I like the stock height, but would like to tighten up the side to side play a little. BTW, CJ has them for $233.09 now.

Plus tax.

I was looking at it this morning.... www.levittownfordparts.com has a coupon code for the shipping "ship10" 10% off shipping.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
527 Posts
I saw somewhere (a retailer, youtube?) that the FP shifter is about 1" shorter than stock. It looked a little shorter to me, so I always assumed it was a short shifter.... not just a short throw shifter. It's a shame... it'd prefer it to be a little taller, not shorter.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,464 Posts
I saw somewhere (a retailer, youtube?) that the FP shifter is about 1" shorter than stock. It looked a little shorter to me, so I always assumed it was a short shifter.... not just a short throw shifter. It's a shame... it'd prefer it to be a little taller, not shorter.
You're in luck! As I'm very detail oriented (READ: anal retentive/borderline OCD) when it comes to installing new parts on my RS. I took copious amounts of pictures comparing the stock vs the FP short shifter along with comparing the heights of the various knobs I have, stock vs COBB LE Nitrous Blue (#229/230) vs FP carbon fiber. I won't bomb this thread with them, but here are a few comparing them:
Camera accessory Table Gas Audio equipment Flooring

Microphone Chair Camera accessory Audio equipment Table

Plant Camera accessory Machine Metal Machine tool

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
You're in luck! As I'm very detail oriented (READ: anal retentive/borderline OCD) when it comes to installing new parts on my RS. I took copious amounts of pictures comparing the stock vs the FP short shifter along with comparing the heights of the various knobs I have, stock vs COBB LE Nitrous Blue (#229/230) vs FP carbon fiber. I won't bomb this thread with them, but here are a few comparing them:
View attachment 356511
View attachment 356512
View attachment 356513

Two questions:

• what was the production date of the short shifter you got from levittown ford?
  • hows the fit of the FP CF knob on it?

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,464 Posts
Two questions:

• what was the production date of the short shifter you got from levittown ford?
  • hows the fit of the FP CF knob on it?
It says 1/9/18 on the box (bought it April 2020):
Product Rectangle Font Wood Material property

The CF knob fits perfectly on it as you would expect:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gear shift

Hand Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

It was also a real b*tch to get the stock knob off that it comes with. Took a heat gun and a lot of cursing to break that damn thing loose. Pretty sure there was some sort of adhesive on it from the factory.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
101 - 120 of 120 Posts