Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current car is totally analogue. Big Brother only knows what he sees.
Not so in these modern vehicles. ESPECIALLY enhanced jiggers like our RS

Increasingly through data logging for maintenance and warranty can describe use profile.
Add infotainment, significantly GPS tracking, FoMoCo will have a pretty clear trace of use - where & when.

Then layer this with vehicle dynamics computer...Speeds, Drive Mode, wheel speed, slip, yaw, g-loads, throttle setting, steering angle, direction & rate of change, brake (does it do the flashing brake light trick during heavy braking? Think so)...you name it. The computer is processing all this to run the car.

Prevailing conditions are deducible too - rain (rain sensing wipers), lighting (auto light on) wheel speed/spin/throttle/gear...

Then there is the accident alert system...pop the airbags and the car responds with lights and GPS notification to emergency services if activity isn't reported - I think voice response & door release???

Where does this leave us now and into the future? You bang it in a single car and the insurance company calls you out for Negligent Driving. Pop it mechanically and FoMoCo decline warranty after assessing your use?

And the Police...tell us your sins MR Sir!!!

That's the down side.

Upside?
Everything inverted for the mechanically sympathetic, sensibly skilled, law abiding and unlucky.

So? How do you feel about Big Brother riding shot gun in your RS?

·
Registered
653 Posts
We are in the golden era of motoring my friend, because while all you mentioned has yet to fully coagulate cars and motorcycles have never been so good, enjoy it all while it lasts, until this big brother conspiracy morphs into tickets mailed to your house because you made it from point A to B too quickly

·
Registered
420 Posts
the maine turnpike had that 30 years ago and it is still tour car however donot do not use the insurance cos plugins to save a buck that will end up in the supreme court my friends do not trust corporate America for one minute

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well the thing about this is that the computer only has so much memory. Then comes the question is the memory saved even after power is lost.

I get the theory but a GPS system only receives signals to my knowledge and does not transfer any back. This is exactly why we have to have map data already loaded in the vehicle.

This is also a performance vehicle and if any one denies a warranty claim for driving the vehicle like I intend to they will have an issue. I have replaced clutches under warranty for customers, and engines even though they were clearly neglected or driver error. The fact is if they can't prove it, they can't deny it, and it would be hard to argue, especially considering my ST likes to play The Oregon Trail on me with the GPS, far from 100% accurate.

Having tickets mailed to your house, I just don't see how they could prove you were driving. If that happened I would get an alibi asap and make claim some one obviously took my car for a joy ride at the time of the offense:smug:

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is already being done on some fronts, and a lot of the OEM's are joining with insurance companies and heavily backing it. Google vehicle telematics, or insurance telematics.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was always paranoid about big brother when using the tollway with my I-Pass thinking that they would figure out I was averaging 15 mph over the limit. Never any tickets though so it must not be that sophisticated... hopefully it stays that way haha

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I get the theory but a GPS system only receives signals to my knowledge and does not transfer any back. This is exactly why we have to have map data already loaded in the vehicle.
You're right. GPS is an entirely passive system, so data would have to be saved locally until it could be read.

Lotus has a system that at the very least came on the supercharged Elise that would record driving time as a percentage of total as it fell into groups of 10 mph and groups of 10% throttle. So we were able to tell that ~20% of our driving was done at 90-100% throttle at speeds pretty evenly spread from 30-90mph. There was probably more information that was stored and presented, but that was all that I read through.

I work for a company that is doing this exact thing on airplanes. We can determine from telemetry data exactly what mechanical issues are present and exactly what failures are imminent. We are also able to tell from this data the cause of incidents, and so we know if (car analogy) we need to issue a recall to fix a safety concern or if we need to educate an operator because he is abusing the hardware and may be a liability in the future. Obviously we would provide the data in the event of a federal investigation, but otherwise no one but the people who are paid to analyze the data (not me) are allowed to see it. I don't think that includes the customer, but this isn't a perfect parallel to the automotive industry.

As far as having tickets mailed to your house, they already do that. And yes, they can't prove that you were driving, so they can't give you points or put anything on your record. But that doesn't mean that they can't still fine you. And they do. When I was 17 I had a $100 ticket mailed to my mom because the car was in her name. She just forwarded it to the appropriate party with a letter of consternation and a thinly veiled threat. Ask someone in the UK about traffic cameras. I'm sure that they have plenty of choice words to share.

·
Registered
285 Posts
As far as having tickets mailed to your house, they already do that. And yes, they can't prove that you were driving, so they can't give you points or put anything on your record. But that doesn't mean that they can't still fine you. And they do. When I was 17 I had a $100 ticket mailed to my mom because the car was in her name. She just forwarded it to the appropriate party with a letter of consternation and a thinly veiled threat. Ask someone in the UK about traffic cameras. I'm sure that they have plenty of choice words to share.
I am well aware of speed/traffic cams (have gotten a ticket in IA previously from such devices, no points and it wasn't all that expensive). What I was referring to is the tollway system averaging the cars speed using the time it takes between toll booths, i.e. car passes toll both A and gets to toll B in a time faster than the speed limit for the distance traveled. Distance between booths is fixed so all they need to do is accurately calculate the time it takes to get from one to the next.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If any of that comes true, I'm just gonna buy an old car with a good chassis as a starting point, then drop 50k into making it an evil hoonmobile. Drive to Progressive... shove one of those Snapshot OBD2 spy plugs up Flo's @$$... then HOON on!!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If any of that comes true, I'm just gonna buy an old car with a good chassis as a starting point, then drop 50k into making it an evil hoonmobile. Drive to Progressive... shove one of those Snapshot OBD2 spy plugs up Flo's @$$... then HOON on!!!
MegaSquirt works wonders. That's all I'm going to say.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
As far as I know, any "black box" recording systems in your vehicle are your property as well as any data stored on them. Authorities would need a warrant to obtain any hardware or data. So if you're in a really bad accident maybe I would see this happening, but don't expect a letter asking you to bring your car in so they can prove you were doing 15mph over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Seriously kinda a deal breaker. Makes me appreciate my 08 STi.....never thought ide say that.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Seriously kinda a deal breaker. Makes me appreciate my 08 STi.....never thought ide say that.
Hell, you could always just stock up on short blocks and open up an account with Surgeline! :cool:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just tell Big Brother he better hang on...or get the hell out:topsy_turvy:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just tell Big Brother he better hang on...or get the hell out:topsy_turvy:
Too bad we can't send him an electronic barf bag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
Gokart3
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing