Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just did my first autocross this past weekend and I'm probably hooked. I was running on Contiental DWS-06 All Seasons and could definitely tell I was getting into their limit my last couple runs. Come Spring I'm going to invest in a 2nd set of wheels and tires so I can easily swap my setup for warm weather/auto-x and stock with all seasons until they're dead, then put winters on.

Budget wise, I don't want to go much over $2k for both wheel and tires and the tires I'd like to easily get at least 15-20k miles out of as warm season and auto-x tires doing say, 6-12 events per season.

Wheel wise I'm planning on getting Rota Grid's at 18"x9.5" with 38mm offset.

My question is, what's the widest tire I can safely go without risking any rubbing on the wheel well/fender?
I'd like to go 255 or 265mm and as tall of a sidewall as possible.

Also, does the car complain if you don't have any TPMS at all? If the $25 8C2Z-1A203-A OEM TPMS works fine, then great, but if I'd be looking at $70/per TPMS that's steep enough I'd think about just not having them on that set of wheels. I heard the RS requires a 300hz TPMS, but the $25 OEM comes up on Tire Rack's TPMS lookup for the RS.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I run 18"8.5 + 43, with Toyo R888R for track-dedicated wheels/tires. Love them.
I run 235/40r18 which is the same (ish) total diameter from stock. I believe is less than half percent of a difference.

TMPS-Wise, I set them up properly but now I regret about paying for TPMS. After a hot track session, the TMPS would fail and stop working, once they cool down, they would start working again... First time I saw them failing, scared the s*** out of me thinking I had a puncture at 130mph :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you want to autocross and stay in a stock street class you will need to use 8" wide wheels with a stock offset. You can fit a 255x35-18 tire without a problem. If you go to a 9.5" wheel you will have to run in STU or ASP class instead of DS. TPMS sensors are not required but you will get a tire pressure warning. It will not affect the car in any other way. I have been very happy with my Bridgestone RE71-R tires in 255 and have over 6000 miles on them and about 15 autocross events. They are getting pretty well worn but still grip well enough for me to take top PAX this past weekend at a Chattanooga Region SCCA event.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you want to autocross and stay in a stock street class you will need to use 8" wide wheels with a stock offset. You can fit a 255x35-18 tire without a problem. If you go to a 9.5" wheel you will have to run in STU or ASP class instead of DS. TPMS sensors are not required but you will get a tire pressure warning. It will not affect the car in any other way. I have been very happy with my Bridgestone RE71-R tires in 255 and have over 6000 miles on them and about 15 autocross events. They are getting pretty well worn but still grip well enough for me to take top PAX this past weekend at a Chattanooga Region SCCA event.
Well said. The only thing to add is that you have +/- 7mm wheel offset allowance from stock in Street class.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
I run about the same setup as gforester and it works good. I have the light weight sparco 18x8 wheels. For me they are dedicated auto-x with maybe driving around the weekend of the races.

My setup with the wheels+tires+TPMS+lugs+"OEM TPMS trigger tool" was $2,050.56 shipped. The TPMSs on my order ticket from TireRack shows to be 315Mhz.

Oddly enough I ran an auto-x this weekend on the Continental DWS 06 tires on my base RS wheels and found them really good for an all-season tire. I only made 3 runs on them though. And really was wishing I had put the Cup 2 back on for the weekend as I may have gotten fastest PAX for a fendered car there, was about 1 sec off on a ~50 second course with I think 4 "switchbacks".

Just played in the cart and this looks about like my setup with current prices, just gray wheels instead white that I got.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Tires alone are going to take over half your budget. My 4S were like 1100 with discounts. If 2k is your budget, I'd stick with stock rims and focus on tires. Or try and find a used set of uesd 18x8's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could go a little over $2k, ~$2100-2300 is doable. I'm dead set on having 2 separate sets of wheels for warm weather/auto-x use and another set for winter/all-seasons. Interesting to know wider wheels would put me outside of SA-DS class. I may eventually decide to make the second set dedicated auto-x/track use only and get 200 treadwear tires, then use the other for normal driving with a decent all season, but we'll see how much I get into it.

What about a 255x40-18 tire? I would like a taller sidewall than stock. I have a feeling that if I got 18x8" wheels I'd regret it and wish I just got 18x9.5 from the start and just say "screw" staying in stock class at that point.

I was curious what all else you can get away with and stay in stock class? Does a tune move you out of DS class if you don't have a downpipe or intercooler? What about camber plates and sway bars?

Things I'm thinking of doing in the next 1-2 years are:
1) wheels and tires
2) sway bars
3) camber plates
4) stage 1 tune

After that, I'd eventually entertain getting new coilovers, I'd entertain more drastic things down the line after it's paid off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I could go a little over $2k, ~$2100-2300 is doable. I'm dead set on having 2 separate sets of wheels for warm weather/auto-x use and another set for winter/all-seasons. Interesting to know wider wheels would put me outside of SA-DS class. I may eventually decide to make the second set dedicated auto-x/track use only and get 200 treadwear tires, then use the other for normal driving with a decent all season, but we'll see how much I get into it.

What about a 255x40-18 tire? I would like a taller sidewall than stock. I have a feeling that if I got 18x8" wheels I'd regret it and wish I just got 18x9.5 from the start and just say "screw" staying in stock class at that point.

I was curious what all else you can get away with and stay in stock class? Does a tune move you out of DS class if you don't have a downpipe or intercooler? What about camber plates and sway bars?

1) wheels and tires
2) sway bars
3) camber plates
4) stage 1 tune

After that, I'd eventually entertain getting new coilovers, I'd entertain more drastic things down the line after it's paid off.
When I bought 4 Enkei TS9s @ 225 ea with 255x35x18 RE71Rs, my Tirerack order total was 2150.00. YMMV.

Street class mods are essentially only one sway bar, cat back, and air filter along with whatever tire you can fit on an 8" wide rim. Mods beyond that and you are in the next class, STU.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
xxr 527 18x8.75 et38 with 255/35r18 firehawk indy 500. Way under your 2k budget, fits without stupid poke, light for what they are, will get you 20k miles

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts

1) wheels and tires
2) sway bars
3) camber plates
4) stage 1 tune

SCCA Autocross class allowances cheat sheet

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate all the info guys! So are 9.5" wheels with a 255x40x18 tire pretty much out of the question without risking rubbing? Looks like most of you are running 8.5" to 8.75" wheels and 255x35x18 tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts