Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
The simple reason is that they just work for autocrossing. They've won every comparison test I've seen, even beating the Goodrich, and all the fast guys in my area are running them. I've been very impressed with their grip so far.
haha - yup that's what the guys around here have been saying too - I just find it funny lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Old R888's are terrible tires, I mean it's really near impossible to make a worse R compound tire.

I like the RC1s for "budget track tires". Budget being not Hoosier's (normal or cantilevered) or some of the FIA tires out there.

I might have to check out the new R888Rs, currently the RA1 is still my favorite Toyo tire. They aren't really good, but they last awhile at least.
I would have to agree that the old R888's were good for a couple of laps before becoming completely greasy. And that was on my relatively light Lotus Exige. Certainly not my favorite track tire. I think bang for the buck (stickiness, communicative, longevity) the Toyo RA-1 is hard to beat. That and the Nitto NT-01. Supposedly they are the same rubber compound. I've been running NT-01's for the past couple of seasons on numerous cars, Exige, 600hp Vette and now a Cayman S and still love them. I can't speak highly enough about them. Certainly there are stickier tires but at a significantly higher price point and faster degradation rate.

Still waiting on some solid reviews on the R888R.

Reactions: RocketRS

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm assuming you don't have too much experience on autox, one big mistake most people made is asking for good tires, you will be faster but it will ruin your driving skill. if you don't care, then go for the re-71r, it is proven the best 200 treadwear tires.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm assuming you don't have too much experience on autox, one big mistake most people made is asking for good tires, you will be faster but it will ruin your driving skill. if you don't care, then go for the re-71r, it is proven the best 200 treadwear tires.
Out of curiosity, how can a better tire ruin the driving skills?

·
Registered
230 Posts
My primary experience wrt track tires has been with the Michelin Sport Cup 2, but due to the high cost (305/30/19's rear on 997.1 esp.) I switched to Toyo Proxies R888 and have been pleased with them. A lot more road noise given the aggressive tread pattern, but my go to track tire now.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Out of curiosity, how can a better tire ruin the driving skills?
It can mask a lot of mistakes. Always good to up your skills first then move on to a stickier tire. I see guys moving to slicks right away, and aren't fast enough to keep heat in them.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Old R888's are terrible tires, I mean it's really near impossible to make a worse R compound tire.

I like the RC1s for "budget track tires". Budget being not Hoosier's (normal or cantilevered) or some of the FIA tires out there.

I might have to check out the new R888Rs, currently the RA1 is still my favorite Toyo tire. They aren't really good, but they last awhile at least.
Sorry to revive an old thread but I’m looking for some tire advice.

I’m looking for a cheap and durable track tire. I don’t really care about lap times or grip levels. I just want a tire that will last a long time on the track without chunking or delaminating or wearing too quickly.

Both @Dave-ROR and @Jon mentioned longevity when describing the RA1. Is that my best bet or should I be looking elsewhere?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I’m looking for some tire advice.

I’m looking for a cheap and durable track tire. I don’t really care about lap times or grip levels. I just want a tire that will last a long time on the track without chunking or delaminating or wearing too quickly.

Both @Dave-ROR and @Jon mentioned longevity when describing the RA1. Is that my best bet or should I be looking elsewhere?
Quite a few of the local track junkies run the Federal RSRRs. Not the fastest tire nor the most durable, but for the price (I've gotten them for $460 a set shipped to my door) they are pretty hard to beat. Here's my set after 5 events, I would say they have about 1/3 of the life left. Shoulders are worn (not enough neg camber) so will be flipping them on the wheel for the rest of it's life.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I agree. I have RS/RR on my cheap track wheels. The "bite" is very good and am pleased with the performance especially considering the total cost.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've driven an RS with the Federals and I was pleasantly surprised. Not up to a Toyo R888R, or RA-1 but since you are not interesting in the fastest times for usually less than 500 bucks you probably can't go wrong giving them a try.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
SUPER NECRO BUMP!!!

To some, track season is coming to a close, but for us here in sunny CA, prime track season is just around the corner. So long to triple-digit "[email protected]$$ off" summer track days and hello to nice crisp, less knock, less over heating, PSL weather.

That said, my current Hankook R-S4's, which have done 8 track days now over 2 years, are pretty much done. They lasted way longer than my previous Federal RSRR's and have served me well. I even flipped them on the wheel and got a couple more track days out of them since there was still plenty of meat on the inside.

While doing research for my next track tire, I found this very handy run down of the current offerings.

Notes:
  • Autocross: Choose A or AA for Warm-up and B or better for Pace.
  • Time trials: Choose by Pace and Wear.
  • Lapping days: Choose by Heat Tolerance and Wear.
  • Street and Track: Choose by Heat Tolerance, Wear and Wet.

Source: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/track-tire-buyers-guide/

I have already had experience on a few of the tires they mentioned (PS4S, RE-71R, RS4 & RT615k+), so I have a good feeling of how their rating compares to my actual experience. Based on that, I think I'll be giving the Conti Extreme Contact Sports a try this time around. I wanted to try the BFG rivals but they did not come in my size (245/40-18) although the rival S 1.5's do.

I'm also curious about the Valino and the Maxxis offerings. Anybody with experience with either of these? I've heard of the Valino/Pergea/Greeva brand in drifting circles and the Maxxis brand from mountain biking, but not much else.

·
Registered
850 Posts
SUPER NECRO BUMP!!!

To some, track season is coming to a close, but for us here in sunny CA, prime track season is just around the corner. So long to triple-digit "[email protected]$$ off" summer track days and hello to nice crisp, less knock, less over heating, PSL weather.

That said, my current Hankook R-S4's, which have done 8 track days now over 2 years, are pretty much done. They lasted way longer than my previous Federal RSRR's and have served me well. I even flipped them on the wheel and got a couple more track days out of them since there was still plenty of meat on the inside.

While doing research for my next track tire, I found this very handy run down of the current offerings.

Notes:
  • Autocross: Choose A or AA for Warm-up and B or better for Pace.
  • Time trials: Choose by Pace and Wear.
  • Lapping days: Choose by Heat Tolerance and Wear.
  • Street and Track: Choose by Heat Tolerance, Wear and Wet.

Source: Ultimate track tire guide | 200tw, 100tw, street-legal track, R-comp | Articles | Grassroots Motorsports

I have already had experience on a few of the tires they mentioned (PS4S, RE-71R, RS4 & RT615k+), so I have a good feeling of how their rating compares to my actual experience. Based on that, I think I'll be giving the Conti Extreme Contact Sports a try this time around. I wanted to try the BFG rivals but they did not come in my size (245/40-18) although the rival S 1.5's do.

I'm also curious about the Valino and the Maxxis offerings. Anybody with experience with either of these? I've heard of the Valino/Pergea/Greeva brand in drifting circles and the Maxxis brand from mountain biking, but not much else.
This is great! I’ve been using Federal RS-RRs because they are so cheap, but only getting 4 days out of a set. Flipping them on the rim is brilliant! Would cost ~$90 for another mount/balance but still worth it if it gets another 1 day out of them, let alone 2…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
392 Posts
@BigFatFlip if you autocross, you might want to pick something better than the Continentals. I bought my RS used with those already on (in 245/35-19), and while they seemed to be a decent street tire, they were ok on the course. The sidewalls are mushy, and I had to run 47psi in the front and 45psi in the rear to keep off of the sidewalls. Though I don't think they were horrible for a 340 treadwear tire, and they probably would be a really good autocross tire if it's raining.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
This is great! I’ve been using Federal RS-RRs because they are so cheap, but only getting 4 days out of a set. Flipping them on the rim is brilliant! Would cost ~$90 for another mount/balance but still worth it if it gets another 1 day out of them, let alone 2…
Agree, the RS-RR's were a great "bang for buck" option, but I was ready to spend a little more to get more out of my tires. Even though the RS4's cost me almost twice as much as the RSRR's, they did last twice as long and also handled great in the wet. The couple of wet track days I had with the RSRRs, they were so sketchy I ended up having to swap back to my street tires (PSS/PS4S's), which was hard to stomach knowing how much they cost.

I have a really cheap shop near my work that only does tires, alignments and basic installs. It's ran by a bunch of drifting kids (well, 20-somethings) and I always see stacks of tires, bent wheels, cracked/bent body panels and non-op drift missiles all around their lot lol. Mount and balance is $75 for 4, so flipping my tires was a no brainer! I even got an "unlimited" alignment from them for $200. They do an "ok" job and it's really easy for me to drop off the car and walk to work, but this is also the same shop that cost me a KW DDC warranty after snipping the damper cables during uninstall, installed my GC camber plates that later worked themselves loose, etc.... you get where I'm headed lol

@BigFatFlip if you autocross, you might want to pick something better than the Continentals. I bought my RS used with those already on (in 245/35-19), and while they seemed to be a decent street tire, they were ok on the course. The sidewalls are mushy, and I had to run 47psi in the front and 45psi in the rear to keep off of the sidewalls. Though I don't think they were horrible for a 340 treadwear tire, and they probably would be a really good autocross tire if it's raining.
Good tip. I don't really autox anymore since trackdays are just a better seat time-to-brownie points ratio. Hard to justify ditching the wife and kids for a whole day for 5 30-40sec runs vs 4-5 20min sessions.

I'm actually looking more for longevity/heat tolerance and wet grip, hence focusing in the "endurance 200's" section. I want something that will last me at least 8-10 trackdays, doesn't get too greasy over a 20min hot session and has decent enough wet grip not to get too sketchy on/off the track.

That said, if I were autoXing, I would actually try the A052's. Seems to be the new autoX go-to from what I hear from other folks.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,408 Posts
Agree, the RS-RR's were a great "bang for buck" option, but I was ready to spend a little more to get more out of my tires. Even though the RS4's cost me almost twice as much as the RSRR's, they did last twice as long and also handled great in the wet. The couple of wet track days I had with the RSRRs, they were so sketchy I ended up having to swap back to my street tires (PSS/PS4S's), which was hard to stomach knowing how much they cost.

I have a really cheap shop near my work that only does tires, alignments and basic installs. It's ran by a bunch of drifting kids (well, 20-somethings) and I always see stacks of tires, bent wheels, cracked/bent body panels and non-op drift missiles all around their lot lol. Mount and balance is $75 for 4, so flipping my tires was a no brainer! I even got an "unlimited" alignment from them for $200. They do an "ok" job and it's really easy for me to drop off the car and walk to work, but this is also the same shop that cost me a KW DDC warranty after snipping the damper cables during uninstall, installed my GC camber plates that later worked themselves loose, etc.... you get where I'm headed lol

Good tip. I don't really autox anymore since trackdays are just a better seat time-to-brownie points ratio. Hard to justify ditching the wife and kids for a whole day for 5 30-40sec runs vs 4-5 20min sessions.

I'm actually looking more for longevity/heat tolerance and wet grip, hence focusing in the "endurance 200's" section. I want something that will last me at least 8-10 trackdays, doesn't get too greasy over a 20min hot session and has decent enough wet grip not to get too sketchy on/off the track.

That said, if I were autoXing, I would actually try the A052's. Seems to be the new autoX go-to from what I hear from other folks.
The A052's are definitely the new hotness when it comes to autocross. However, everyone I know that runs them says while they are pretty good grip-wise, they don't last very long at all. Most of the folks I know that have run them actually opted for the RT660s since they are a decent balance of grip and longevity. That's what I'll be going with after I burn through my RE-71Rs, which still have enough for another few events after flipping them.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
The A052's are definitely the new hotness when it comes to autocross. However, everyone I know that runs them says while they are pretty good grip-wise, they don't last very long at all. Most of the folks I know that have run them actually opted for the RT660s since they are a decent balance of grip and longevity. That's what I'll be going with after I burn through my RE-71Rs, which still have enough for another few events after flipping them.
Did someone said A052's?

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

He got it on a sale..... cant beat the price.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Correction, he got the Advan Apex V601:
So he got the slow version... ;)

Speaking of which, hot off the presses, was just reading of this comparo with the RT660, which I briefly considered before going with the RT615k+

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
So he got the slow version... ;)
It has an extra "rib" to help with wetter conditions.

You know what they say on extra ribs on rubbers...... 😉

21 - 40 of 46 Posts