Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestion?
With a lack of camber adjustment not every tire works. I've just got a set of Dmack dmt rc - it's a WRC tarmac tire. I was hoping that it will be great on the track, but it isn't. It's actually worst than original michelin super sport. 2.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any suggestion?
With a lack of camber adjustment not every tire works. I've just got a set of Dmack dmt rc - it's a WRC tarmac tire. I was hoping that it will be great on the track, but it isn't. It's actually worst than original michelin super sport. View attachment 95890
Ford Focus RS-105.jpg
The r888s work @30psi.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm just autocrossing rather than road racing, but for that the Bridgestone RE-71R's have proven to be the tire to have.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
yeah I have the R888s on my track wheels and they are excellent on a track, but in autox they really don't seem to perform well unless the pavement is hot since you only have less than a minute of driving time and then they cool off while you grid up again

last time I was out during rapid fire fun runs I dropped nearly two seconds because the tires warmed up, but they don't grip at all when cool

I don't know if Bridgestone pays all the autox guys to do this, but it seems like they have all been trained to shill the RE-71Rs at every turn :happy: (pun intended) - so I intend to grab those for my next tire to try them out...most of that praise is coming from several guys with years of autox experience so I trust their judgement on the RE-71Rs personally

BUT if you are on road courses more frequently - I really like my R888s

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The new R888r is pretty baller, big improvement over the old r888
After seeing them at sema, I'll be trying those tires out next year for sure. Interested to see how they do over the R888's I burned up already. Re71r, rivals, or rs3 are good street/track tires.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
yeah I have the R888s on my track wheels and they are excellent on a track, but in autox they really don't seem to perform well unless the pavement is hot since you only have less than a minute of driving time and then they cool off while you grid up again

last time I was out during rapid fire fun runs I dropped nearly two seconds because the tires warmed up, but they don't grip at all when cool

I don't know if Bridgestone pays all the autox guys to do this, but it seems like they have all been trained to shill the RE-71Rs at every turn :happy: (pun intended) - so I intend to grab those for my next tire to try them out...most of that praise is coming from several guys with years of autox experience so I trust their judgement on the RE-71Rs personally

Haha yup! You're going to get that with any track oriented tire. If you remember at the Enduro Cross, my car an absolute handful that first session haha

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Haha yup! You're going to get that with any track oriented tire. If you remember at the Enduro Cross, my car an absolute handful that first session haha
lol, yuuuup - surprisingly though the R888s seem to perform pretty well in the rain, which I was not expecting for track tires!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Nitto NT01

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
lol, yuuuup - surprisingly though the R888s seem to perform pretty well in the rain, which I was not expecting for track tires!
Ah yes. Just as long as you don't hit any standing water at speed you'll be just fine. Chalk it up to how soft the tire is and the tread pattern dissipates water pretty well.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The new R888r is pretty baller, big improvement over the old r888
Old R888's are terrible tires, I mean it's really near impossible to make a worse R compound tire.

I like the RC1s for "budget track tires". Budget being not Hoosier's (normal or cantilevered) or some of the FIA tires out there.

I might have to check out the new R888Rs, currently the RA1 is still my favorite Toyo tire. They aren't really good, but they last awhile at least.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

I've never autocrossed on the RE-71R, but they work very well on our chump car at the track. Rival-S are a little faster but didn't do as well in the rain as the RE-71Rs. We have some Kumho's to try next.

Reactions: neox.286

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I've never autocrossed on the RE-71R, but they work very well on our chump car at the track. Rival-S are a little faster but didn't do as well in the rain as the RE-71Rs. We have some Kumho's to try next.
good to know - I plan to be doing a fair bit of both autox and track days next year so when I switch over it'll be good to have a tire that runs well on both

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You can't go past Advan (Yokohama) A050's (medium)...the go to tarmac rally and sprint tyre down under.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I dont know much about track tires... But on my 700whp Cobra, R888's are where its at.

I see some love and some hate for them. But, in the Cobra community there is no other tire that offers the same level of grip. Aside from full slicks

600WTQ at 3000rpm can be a handful, but the R888's eact it up. Fully hooks from 40, and thats hard to do haha

Reactions: neox.286

·
Registered
50 Posts
I liked my R888s tracking my FiST. However, they take at least a couple of laps to warm up and are hard and slippery until then. Consequently they sucked for autox. Haven't yet tracked my FoRS with the cup2s.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't know if Bridgestone pays all the autox guys to do this, but it seems like they have all been trained to shill the RE-71Rs at every turn...
The simple reason is that they just work for autocrossing. They've won every comparison test I've seen, even beating the Goodrich, and all the fast guys in my area are running them. I've been very impressed with their grip so far.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Since we can't get any more negative camber from the suspension I plan to use camber tires. I want to put them on the other way around, so the smaller part of the tire will be outside. It will mimic having more negative camber. I hope the additional two degree of camber will give me the perfect tire print under compression. I talked to the producer of those tires and he assured me that the sidewalls are made the same on both sides and can take the load. He didn't think of using them this way but he kind of approved the idea. I think I will only have to adjust the toe in substantially because the difference in the circumference on both sides of the tires. I don't want them to tear apart the car. What do you guys think, will it work? Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 6.53.26 PM.jpg .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts