Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to use Forscan as well as some app to check individual tire pressures. Being able to see AWD power distribution would be a nice plus as well (I see our own member has an app but I don't have an android phone/tablet but would be willing to purchase one if necessary)

Right now I'm looking at choosing between Bluedriver vs Scantools OBDLink MX+. Should I choose one of these? The MX+ says it can read proprietary Ford codes. Does our car use these? Are the cheaper options just as good?

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Scantools OBDlink MX+ works! Many of the others only allow some settings and don't report all the data that is available.
Yes, the RS has proprietary codes and I have found the MX is the only one the read all the Ford codes.
There are many others available but if you plan to use FORscan, FOCCUS, or other similar software and you want correct and complete results, the MX+ is the correct product. I know it cost more but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Scantools OBDlink MX+ works! Many of the others only allow some settings and don't report all the data that is available.
Yes, the RS has proprietary codes and I have found the MX is the only one the read all the Ford codes.
There are many others available but if you plan to use FORscan, FOCCUS, or other similar software and you want correct and complete results, the MX+ is the correct product. I know it cost more but you get what you pay for.
For Fords, I didn't see anything different between the MX and MX+. At least not worth moving from the MX to the MX+. Did you see something that would make the switch make sense?

Right now for me on Torque, I'm getting 23 PID/s with my MX (BT). Seems low, but the scantool app updates way faster.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
For Fords, I didn't see anything different between the MX and MX+. At least not worth moving from the MX to the MX+. Did you see something that would make the switch make sense?

Right now for me on Torque, I'm getting 23 PID/s with my MX (BT). Seems low, but the scantool app updates way faster.
With the MX+ I got 10 more dedicated Ford pids that I got with the MX. Is it worth the update no, but if you don't already have one get the MX+.

Reactions: Daniel L

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Now what software is the best for use with the MX+?
FORscan. Get it at forscan.org. Be sure to get the beta version as you can't do any modifications with the other versions. You will also need an activation code all which is free.

Reactions: SilverWings-L

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do you know any good quality ones that are wired? My laptop's bluetooth is kinda iffy, but I couldn't find that many wired ones; the ones I found seemed cheap and unreliable, like this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Wired-ELM327-...ateway&sprefix=OBDII+,aps,197&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
IOS works on iPhone and iPad but not on Macbook. To use on MacBook you need an emulator program such as Parallels which allows you to run Windows on a Mac. Quite quickly I must add! Will be loading FORScan on my Mac in next few days under Parallels and will report back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you know any good quality ones that are wired? My laptop's bluetooth is kinda iffy, but I couldn't find that many wired ones; the ones I found seemed cheap and unreliable, like this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Wired-ELM327-Diagnostic-Scanner-Computer/dp/B06XTH8Q7D/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?crid=YQCONS6T7IQA&keywords=obdii+scanner+wired&qid=1551761116&s=gateway&sprefix=OBDII+,aps,197&sr=8-1-fkmrnull
I know it's been a while since this was asked, but for anyone reading moving forward: the best wired is definitely Scantool's OBDLink EX. Once again, not the cheapest option around but definitely worth the money. It was designed to use with FORscan. I use both the MX+ and the EX and I get the same results with both. Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
@SilverWings-L The Amazon one in your link will only show some of the options not all, Spend the money and get the OBDlink.

·
Registered
237 Posts
@SilverWings-L The Amazon one in your link will only show some of the options not all, Spend the money and get the OBDlink.
Yep I took your advice from the earlier post and bought the MX+, it works great, thanks a lot!

I know it's been a while since this was asked, but for anyone reading moving forward: the best wired is definitely Scantool's OBDLink EX. Once again, not the cheapest option around but definitely worth the money. It was designed to use with FORscan. I use both the MX+ and the EX and I get the same results with both. Highly recommended.
This seems interesting, I'm guessing the EX is rather new? I ended up buying the MX+ in April last year, it's been great but I don't believe the EX was available back then, as I would've gone for the EX since I wanted wired and it's less expensive. If this is the exact same thing as the MX+ but just wired, I would say this should be great too.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
According to the specs on their web site, it will do the same as the MX+. It is less expensive because wired is cheaper than bluetooth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts