Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did the yellow fog light bulbs a while ago and now I'm thinking of upgrading the regular headlights. What's the consensus for best vision while matching the LED running light pretty well? I've done a few searches etc and I believe I'm looking for 5000k? But which bulb? I stumbled across TRS and they list a ton of options but don't give an editors choice or anything. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm pretty sure the factory bulbs are 4300k. You would want to go lower to get yellow, higher to go white, blue and purple.

Edit: 3000K gives you yellow, and 10000K gives you blue.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I meant around 5000k to match the white LED strip. On The retrofit source they recommend the morimoto HID setup but it seems they also make an LED kit. Anyone have experience with either? Impressions? How's the install?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya those are almost double the cost of similar morimotos that are very highly recommended. I know they get mentioned a lot here but in any headlight review or comparison sites I've looked at diode Dynamics isn't even mentioned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Checked my records, I was wrong... The LED fogs are Diode Dynamics, the headlights are Osram/Sylvania D3S 7000K. Yes, expensive, I had gotten a set for my 370z and RS at the same time and for whatever the reason the RS was $70 more expensive than the Z at the time. Xenon lights are usually pricey to begin with.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I grabbed a set of Osram 66340 CBIs from TRS a while back and was happy with the upgrade. A bit whiter than OEM, and better output.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the input I'm looking for! I was now leaning towards them but can't decide between the HBI,CBI or nightbreaker

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up ordering some Osram nightbreaker lasers from lightwerkz on sale. We'll see how they look and work. Theyre not sure white but supposedly the best vision which is really the most important thing.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
This is something that I'm looking at eventually doing as well. Curious to see what you think of the Nightbreakers. I was looking at the CBI's myself

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very interested to see the difference, could you do a side by side comparison with stock? I.E replace one bulb then show the OEM 4300k and 7000k?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a night pic I took before the bulb changes. Although it would be neat to swap one back out for comparison. I'll see what I can do for after dark.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's too cold to be out messing with the plastic and what not if not needed. There is one picture of before, and three I just took. I tried to get the same angle, but original was on my old phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
@NISMO_IX What are your thoughts on the output brightness and color now? Can you get a shot facing the garage door with the car as far back as you can when you get a chance?

I was planning to eventually try to get a set of clear lenses made then open up my headlights to install them, if the output is good enough here I can just buy bulbs and be done with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So, just as a recap I changed what I believe were OEM headlights and Fogs to:

Fogs H8 - Diode Dynamics LEDs Cool White (6000K) SL1 (1630 lumens) $150

Headlights D3S - Osram 66340CBB Cool Blue Boost (7000K) (3000 lumens) $260

I can definitely try to take a night photo facing the garage. As for thoughts on these, before and after, I only had the car less than a month before I changed them. I would have to say the color output is definitely more white, with a slight tint of blue. As for brightness, to me it seems maybe 20% brighter than OEM. Different bulb, different car but my 370Z got the same treatment with D2S bulbs and the difference was night and day, especially when using high beams on back roads.

As a side note I am kind of curious what Soundwave makes of the Night Breakers.

Edit: You can now get those DS3 Cool Blue Boost on Amazon for $160. I probably overpaid for mine. Save yourself some money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First is just headlights, Second is just Fogs, Third is both, Fourth is high beam.

This not a very good demonstration IMO. The over garage light was messing with my camera, will have to try and find a none lit wall somewhere, and better angle, my driveway is angled.

Side note, the Cool Blue Boost is 3000 lumens, the Cool Blue Intense is 3200 lumens and the Night Breaker Laser is 3500 lumens. Just depends on what you want out of your lights, more color or more functionality.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
There is nothing better than Philips. I think you can get the 150% brighter for around 175. The only thing is you'd have to be ok with 4800.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've been using the Osram CBB, in real world conditions the kelvin rating looks closer to 6000K and the light is white and bright.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts