Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS - Stealth Grey RS2 Rebuilt
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So my project RS is still in the works but while I'm out spending money on fixing it I realized getting a dashcam might be a smart idea for when its ready.
I've never had a dashcam on any of my cars and I've never been in an accident, but as I really love the RS and plan to keep it for a long while. Id like to take precautions if any situations do arise where a dashcam would help me out.
I've seen some threads from 2016 on Dashcams for the RS, but since its been 5 years some newer or better models of dashcams may have come out.

I wanna know what are some good budget dashcams <$150
Somewhat low profile that don't stick out like a sore thumb,
and are there any other good accessories to get along with a dashcam?

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi everyone,
So my project RS is still in the works but while I'm out spending money on fixing it I realized getting a dashcam might be a smart idea for when its ready.
I've never had a dashcam on any of my cars and I've never been in an accident, but as I really love the RS and plan to keep it for a long while. Id like to take precautions if any situations do arise where a dashcam would help me out.
I've seen some threads from 2016 on Dashcams for the RS, but since its been 5 years some newer or better models of dashcams may have come out.

I wanna know what are some good budget dashcams <$150
Somewhat low profile that don't stick out like a sore thumb,
and are there any other good accessories to get along with a dashcam?
@Sparklab18aa posted a great reviewer. You can check out Vortex Radar's website: Best Radar Detectors, Radar Detector Reviews and Guides: Vortex Radar
And his main channel Vortex Radar - YouTube

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is currently what I have in my car. It's tiny and depending how you hide your wires, you barely notice it. Video is 1440p @ 30FPS or 1080p @ 60FPS. What I love is that you can connect to it via bluetooth to clip and export videos off the cam so no need to remove the SD card.: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R9GX558/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the suction cup mount incase I am ever in a rental vehicle so I can just swap the camera easily from my car: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN14VTR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once the sun comes up I'll take some photos and pull a video from the cam so you can get a glimpse of what it can do. So worth it!

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
I've got a Garmin Dash Cam 55 (which has since been replaced with model 66W) and it's been fantastic.
  • Great quality
  • Built in WiFi to be able to pull stuff off without dismounting camera
  • Red light camera warnings (yearly subscription for this, but I feel it's worth it)
  • Best part: voice commands to snap a photo or save the past 3 mins of video into a different/non-volatile folder
  • Stays in a low-power-but-awake mode while parked to detect impacts on the car

Only con is no rear camera, but that's a minor quip in my eyes

Here is a sample video I took a few years ago while driving around Utah

·
Registered
152 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone mount their camera to the rearview mirror? if so, how? my windshield is tinted and I'm worried if I mount a dashcam and try to remove it at some point it will ruin the tint. on that note, i was looking at that dual dashcam @GmpaJimj posted which would mount to the rear window that is also tinted.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Anyone mount their camera to the rearview mirror? if so, how? my windshield is tinted and I'm worried if I mount a dashcam and try to remove it at some point it will ruin the tint. on that note, i was looking at that dual dashcam @GmpaJimj posted which would mount to the rear window that is also tinted.
I'd also be interested in a mount that attaches to rearview mirror base. I use a suction cup currently, but eventually it will fall off on really hot days. Annoying to come back to a parked car with the camera on the dash, having pulled the cable out from the headliner under its own weight.

Reactions: robertcb

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS - Stealth Grey RS2 Rebuilt
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here’s some jacka$$ this morning for a nighttime view. Video looks blurry because my windshield is coated in salt :
Daytime. The videos don’t do it’s justice since imgur compresses the video but you can clearly see license plates on your phone

This one is definitely catching my eye. Looks like some great video.
Would you recommend any of the Garmin Dashcams? Seems like a lot of people like them.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I ran a USB adapter from my sunroof power plug into this model (I have no sunroof, so the plug was unused). No complaints with it at all.
I've had this one in my RS since July 2017. Been solid for the most part. Had one issue where I had to reformat my ad card for some reason. But that only happened once. My only gripe is the ball joint on top isn't very snug, so it'll move a little while driving. However, looks like they addressed that with the current version. Mine doesn't have the ability to tighten the ball joint on top of the camera:

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where's everyone running their wires through? Got a Garmin Dash Mini for xmas and finally got around to buying an SD card to get it going. Other than the aforementioned moonroof tap (mines being used by said moonroof), is everyone just tucking under the headliner, down through the passenger A-pillar and towards the center console via glovebox route? Looking for the cleanest path..open to ideas. Thx,

·
Registered
152 Posts
This one is definitely catching my eye. Looks like some great video.
Would you recommend any of the Garmin Dashcams? Seems like a lot of people like them.
The one I linked is a Garmin 56. I can’t vouch for anything else though. The 66W has a wider angle lens but I’m pretty sure you give up resolution for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up a rearview option that covered pretty much every option i wanted perfectly but its right at your max price. 4k30 front with a 1080p30 rear, GPS speed monitor ( hardcoded in the videos ). I hardwired it to the fuse box in the passenger side and ran all the cables under the headliner and under panels. Completely hidden install. Only cons i can note, With gps enabled it forces a "Speed Limit" option which maxes out at 99mph. Its just a beep-beep tone and ive since decided to call it the "Im going to jail if i get got" alarm. The "voice commands" work ok but have also triggered just having conversations in the car so i have it off. And not really a con but the Parking/Crash detection is INSANELY hyperactive. I have it on the lowest setting and sometimes closing my door triggers it. I can upload some pictures of the install and its videos driving tomorrow. Overall ive been super happy with it. Cheers~

·
Registered
2017 NB Focus RS; RS2, Sunroof, FP exhaust, Mountune IC, DSC Sport suspension, Livernois tune.
114 Posts
It's over your budget, but like MorningZ I have a Garmin Dashcam 56 facing forward. I also have a Dashcam Mini in the rear. I bought two hardwire kits and had a local stereo shop install them. The hardwire kits allow what Garmin calls "Parking Mode" where the camera records any motion near the car when the ignition is off. Hasn't drained the battery, if that's a concern.
The nice thing about having two cameras is the PiP...

...(Sorry, didn't level the camera.)

The bad news is it takes a LOOONG time for the app to pull up the clips so that you can select and edit them. The nice thing is that they are sorted into folders on the MicroSD card; Event (camera thinks there's an accident) , Photo (Saved when you say "Hey Garmin Take a Photo"), Saved (Videos saved when you say "Hey Garmin, Save Video"), Parkm (Parking lot videos), TLPSE (TravelLapse videos), and UNSVD (All the video that can fit on the memory card - older titles erased to make room for new.) You can search the card directly if you know what you're looking for.

I liked them enough I bought them for my Flex, my wife's car AND my daughter's car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's over your budget, but like MorningZ I have a Garmin Dashcam 56 facing forward. I also have a Dashcam Mini in the rear. I bought two hardwire kits and had a local stereo shop install them. The hardwire kits allow what Garmin calls "Parking Mode" where the camera records any motion near the car when the ignition is off. Hasn't drained the battery, if that's a concern.
The nice thing about having two cameras is the PiP...

View attachment 349733

...(Sorry, didn't level the camera.)

The bad news is it takes a LOOONG time for the app to pull up the clips so that you can select and edit them. The nice thing is that they are sorted into folders on the MicroSD card; Event (camera thinks there's an accident) , Photo (Saved when you say "Hey Garmin Take a Photo"), Saved (Videos saved when you say "Hey Garmin, Save Video"), Parkm (Parking lot videos), TLPSE (TravelLapse videos), and UNSVD (All the video that can fit on the memory card - older titles erased to make room for new.) You can search the card directly if you know what you're looking for.

I liked them enough I bought them for my Flex, my wife's car AND my daughter's car.
This is what I was thinking of doing. Getting the 56 for the front and a mini for the rear and hardwiring them up, but idk how. How did you do the PIP?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts