Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was driving yesterday and completely lost gear control with shifter. pulled car off the road and inspected the shifter cables and hammer. noticed the hammer pin was sticking out almost all the way. removed intake and tapped back into place...fixed.
i have mountune cable bushings and cobb short shift plate..which were installed last summer.
i also had cpe 70a motor mounts installed 3 months ago. i think the nvh vibrations caused the pin to come out.
i will keep an eye on it now. if comes loose again..i will give it the loc-tite treatment.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i was driving yesterday and completely lost gear control with shifter. pulled car off the road and inspected the shifter cables and hammer. noticed the hammer pin was sticking out almost all the way. removed intake and tapped back into place...fixed.
i have mountune cable bushings and cobb short shift plate..which were installed last summer.
i also had cpe 70a motor mounts installed 3 months ago. i think the nvh vibrations caused the pin to come out.
i will keep an eye on it now. if comes loose again..i will give it the loc-tite treatment.
Most times the solid motor mounts make it alot harder to "miss" a gear with a short shifter. But the vibrations would've affected it with out without the shifter, all the motor mount does is absorb the already vibrating engine and transmission from transmitting it to the chassis. It will actually vibrate and move less with solid mounts over semi solid or rubber mounts. I think it was a case of bad luck and possibly when putting it in and moving the engine, caused ti to slightly dislodge.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Did you remove the pin to install the short shift kit?

If so, look into a new one. I believe they're split pins which are spring steel. I wouldn't use loctite on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most times the solid motor mounts make it alot harder to "miss" a gear with a short shifter. But the vibrations would've affected it with out without the shifter, all the motor mount does is absorb the already vibrating engine and transmission from transmitting it to the chassis. It will actually vibrate and move less with solid mounts over semi solid or rubber mounts. I think it was a case of bad luck and possibly when putting it in and moving the engine, caused ti to slightly dislodge.
Did you remove the pin to install the short shift kit?

If so, look into a new one. I believe they're split pins which are spring steel. I wouldn't use loctite on it.
mike t...thanks for your input. makes sense. yes the shifting is better now with stiffer mounts.

XrJoe...yes i had to remove the shifter hammer which meant tapping out the pin...then tapping it back into place after bolting the cobb plate on it. the pin looked solid to me. but it just slide out on its own. i will keep an eye on it..and enquire about a new pin. hopefully dont need to buy the hammer as well.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
mike t...thanks for your input. makes sense. yes the shifting is better now with stiffer mounts.

XrJoe...yes i had to remove the shifter hammer which meant tapping out the pin...then tapping it back into place after bolting the cobb plate on it. the pin looked solid to me. but it just slide out on its own. i will keep an eye on it..and enquire about a new pin. hopefully dont need to buy the hammer as well.
What is this hammer you speak of? Is it the gearbox shift mechanism input arm?

Ciao

·
Registered
959 Posts
You could always replace the factory roll pin with a bolt/nut, even if you don't have an aftermarket shifter installed like I do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could always replace the factory roll pin with a bolt/nut, even if you don't have an aftermarket shifter installed like I do.

Hank...did u drive that bolt in or turn it in? Same diameter as the factory pin?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hank...did u drive that bolt in or turn it in? Same diameter as the factory pin?
My JBR short shifter assembly is threaded. Bolt goes through the shifter shaft, and is tightened into the JBR shift head. There's also a pinch bolt with nut to the right in that picture.

If you wanted to replace the factory roll pin with a bolt/nut, I would size it roughly the same as the roll pin and use a nut since there's no threads in the factory shift "hammer" head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Hank
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing