Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link to buy: 2016 + Focus RS Battery Tie Down

The Boomba Racing Battery Holder/Tie-Down is specially designed for 2016 + Ford Focus RS. The holder/tie-down is made of CNC machined aluminum. It is available in natural aluminum, red, blue or black anodized finish. This piece is also precision laser engraved for ultimate appeal.*It is designed to easily replace the original battery tie down and improve the visual effect of your FoRS!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
How much of a weight savings is this over the factory tie-down?

·
Vendor
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much of a weight savings is this over the factory tie-down?
This is actually a small amount heavier.

Stock is 80g vs ours at 110g

·
Vendor
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Vendor
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plenty of these in stock available and ready to ship.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Add some BLING to your engine bay!
This is the part that holds the battery tight in the tray, but to get to it, and to see it, one would have to leave the top pop-off cover off, which in turn leaves the positive battery terminal exposed.

What do you guys provide or propose to protect that terminal?

DSC_5583_copy__63260.1512685943.1280.1280.jpg

·
Vendor
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your worried about corrosion, you can always use dielectric grease. That being said, the plastic cover isn't doing anything at all for corrosion.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Yes, I’m aware that stuff exists but that’s not the concern.

The concern is having a positive battery terminal exposed, not to the air worrying about corrosion, but rather a slip-up or accident happening that creates the risk of a short.

There’s a reason why car and racing clubs have “covered battery terminals” as a tech inspection item (example: left colum on this one https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/277/form_hpde_tech.pdf)

I was just wondering if Boomba thinks about things like above, I guess not. I feel that would be a great touch/addition to include with the product, or even a mention.

Whatever, I see this as a reckless unsafe “bling” modifcatiom but people can buy whatever they want to buy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally!
Someone with a valid functional outlook of things!

Technically, I don’t think this part would even pass tech at your local autoX, never mind an actual track day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Tp each their own.

Some does it for GO.

Some does it for Show.

I'm in the middle.

Looks great, just not for me.

·
Vendor
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally!
Someone with a valid functional outlook of things!

Technically, I don’t think this part would even pass tech at your local autoX, never mind an actual track day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of our employees has a FiST with our battery tie on it, passed local autoX inspection no problem.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
This part has passed tech on two tracks and various autocross events, for me. That said, when I first used it I also brought the OEM cover with me, but wasn't required to run it when I explained my battery. My battery is a bit smaller than OEM (and weighs about 26% of OEM), so a secure tie down was important to me. The battery also has a built in BMS with short circuit protection. I've explained this at tech, and it's been accepted. (They can see it's a different kind than usual battery by the "charge guage" on it.) Anyhow, this tie down works well with the OEM box. That said, I'm having a custom Ti box made to clean things up, and fit the battery shape more closely.

This tie down is more stiff than the OEM tie down, so perhaps more safe. It can be used with the OEM battery cover, if desired.

This part performs better in it's function than OEM, in my experience. Concerns about passing tech are kinda crazy when running this doesn't require you to change anything else but the tie down. If you want to run the OEM cover, you can. So, it's not necessarily negatively impacting "GO" or "function", simply for show, in my mind. Of course, if you have the cover removed to show this off, and don't have a battery that protects itself from short circuits, you'd be making the choice of show over the protection the OEM cover might provide. I don't see that as a strike against the part or it's manufacturer though.

As far as "bling" it looks OK, to me. Not super fancy or anything. Personally I wish Boomba didn't insist on blatantly pasting their brand all over everything they make. I'd pay a good deal more to buy their stuff directly from them, unbranded.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This part has passed tech on two tracks and various autocross events, for me. That said, when I first used it I also brought the OEM cover with me, but wasn't required to run it when I explained my battery. My battery is a bit smaller than OEM (and weighs about 26% of OEM), so a secure tie down was important to me. The battery also has a built in BMS with short circuit protection. I've explained this at tech, and it's been accepted. (They can see it's a different kind than usual battery by the "charge guage" on it.) Anyhow, this tie down works well with the OEM box. That said, I'm having a custom Ti box made to clean things up, and fit the battery shape more closely.

This tie down is more stiff than the OEM tie down, so perhaps more safe. It can be used with the OEM battery cover, if desired.

This part performs better in it's function than OEM, in my experience. Concerns about passing tech are kinda crazy when running this doesn't require you to change anything else but the tie down. If you want to run the OEM cover, you can. So, it's not necessarily negatively impacting "GO" or "function", simply for show, in my mind. Of course, if you have the cover removed to show this off, and don't have a battery that protects itself from short circuits, you'd be making the choice of show over the protection the OEM cover might provide. I don't see that as a strike against the part or it's manufacturer though.

As far as "bling" it looks OK, to me. Not super fancy or anything. Personally I wish Boomba didn't insist on blatantly pasting their brand all over everything they make. I'd pay a good deal more to buy their stuff directly from them, unbranded.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Is that a Lithium Ion battery? How much weight savings over stock?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts