Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's not a big deal to any of you, but after reading one of the reviews I discovered the disturbing fact that our RSs will have FAKE engine noise put through the sound system. Disabling that stupid, hateful feature will be my first project on my RS now

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe it's not a big deal to any of you, but after reading one of the reviews I discovered the disturbing fact that our RSs will have FAKE engine noise put through the sound system. Disabling that stupid, hateful feature will be my first project on my RS now
Source? I think you're extremely misinformed. The ST, among other cars, has a sound symposer which basically redirects the REAL engine sound towards the cabin via a tube in the engine bay, NOT IN THE SPEAKERS. If the RS has this too then it can be removed so stop worrying if it's not your thing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Source? I think you're extremely misinformed. The ST, among other cars, has a sound symposer which basically redirects the REAL engine sound towards the cabin via a tube in the engine bay, NOT IN THE SPEAKERS. If the RS has this too then it can be removed so stop worrying if it's not your thing.
It's from the pistonheads review. I don't mind the pipe in type, that at least uses the real sound of your engine

·
Registered
20 Posts
MK2 RS with a great sounding engine has a symposer (fake noise) in it aswell I have been told. I think it is to give the driver a more exciting driving experience.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Looking at the engine bay images, it seems it doesn't use the ST Symposer, because its a modified Mustang Engine I would think it would be the audio file based on RPM piped through the speakers

I don't think the Mustang can get rid of it unless you replace or disable the head unit

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
RS2SG,

So let me understand your terminology and other related terminology.

Amplified Engine Noise - actual engine noise is taken as input and made louder (amplified) or otherwise electronically enhanced (e.g. bass and low frequency amplitude increased) - I think this is similar to the Sound Symposer in the ST and what Ford is actually doing. :eek:nthego:

Fake Engine Noise - Do you mean (1) recording another engine sound and playing it through audio in the RS ? or (2) a fully synthesized sound generated electronically independent of the RS engine sound. I tend to think it would be the former only and the latter would be considered Synthetic Engine Noise :triumphant:

Synthetic Engine Noise - See number (2) above. fully electronically synthesized independent of engine noise. :soap:

Externally Amplified Exhaust noise - Putting on larger freer flow mufflers and larger diameter exhaust tips. Do you consider this fake engine noise, but it does very little if anything to increase horsepower or performance :wink-new:

Actually, you can find solutions to reduce or eliminate engine sound volume or engine sound volume enhancements if that is your desire :pirate:

So why does Ford do it ? because 4-cylinder turbos don't sound like mighty V-8s even though the RS will be able to trounce most of them :)

Peace, YMMV,

MidCow3

What you can't hear or see me ... I am attentuated :tranquillity:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Two fixes: open the windows to hear the real engine note or blast the radio!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Looking at the engine bay images, it seems it doesn't use the ST Symposer, because its a modified Mustang Engine I would think it would be the audio file based on RPM piped through the speakers

I don't think the Mustang can get rid of it unless you replace or disable the head unit

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
So 2 things:
a) lol, so it's like a video game?
b) we should be able to replace the sound with something else for comical effect

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
Straight pipe or cherry bombs FTW!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I know they do it on the ST, but I don't think they will need it on the RS. Ide be shocked if they did as they don't need to artificially pump in engine noise to make it exude awsomeness. If they did it would be the first thing I would remove.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Glass Packs :D No seriously , it would nice to have a nice open muffler, like a Magnaflow or Flowmaster and still retain the ability to change sound level though an exhaust valve like OEM between drive modes.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RS2SG,

So let me understand your terminology and other related terminology.

Amplified Engine Noise - actual engine noise is taken as input and made louder (amplified) or otherwise electronically enhanced (e.g. bass and low frequency amplitude increased) - I think this is similar to the Sound Symposer in the ST and what Ford is actually doing. :eek:nthego:

Fake Engine Noise - Do you mean (1) recording another engine sound and playing it through audio in the RS ? or (2) a fully synthesized sound generated electronically independent of the RS engine sound. I tend to think it would be the former only and the latter would be considered Synthetic Engine Noise :triumphant:

Synthetic Engine Noise - See number (2) above. fully electronically synthesized independent of engine noise. :soap:

Externally Amplified Exhaust noise - Putting on larger freer flow mufflers and larger diameter exhaust tips. Do you consider this fake engine noise, but it does very little if anything to increase horsepower or performance :wink-new:

Actually, you can find solutions to reduce or eliminate engine sound volume or engine sound volume enhancements if that is your desire :pirate:

So why does Ford do it ? because 4-cylinder turbos don't sound like mighty V-8s even though the RS will be able to trounce most of them :)

Peace, YMMV,

MidCow3

What you can't hear or see me ... I am attentuated :tranquillity:
Lots of responses, I figured I would address yours first, @MidCow3. Based on your 4 options, it would be 3.

I actually have no problem with the amplified engine noise like in the ST, because it is at least sound that is coming from your engine. That and the one car I test drove with it, a 2016 STi (don't stone me to death please) had it and it actually sounded pretty good.

As for 2 (fake engine noise) that concept is absurd to me, although Renault actually does something like this in the Clio which gives you SIX fake engine sounds to choose from. These include a 2012 Nissan GT-R, a Renault 8 Gordini, a Renaultsport Clio Cup, a Clio V6, a 1971 Moto GP bike, an Alpine A110, and some funky Renault concept for 2038 (faking the sound of a fake car!!!).

And who would EVER have a problem with 4?!

I know its standard procedure nowadays, but I want my engine to sound like my engine and my sound system to play music and nothing else. If your sound system is doing double duty then you lose sound quality in your music. That's why I have such a problem with it. Call me a purist or old fashioned, but I'd rather have a "worse" engine sound in my cabin than have something artificial played through my speakers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two fixes: open the windows to hear the real engine note or blast the radio!
It's a great idea in the summer. But as Brady Joke would say, "this is Michigan" and we get these things called obnoxious cold and driving snow for about a 3rd or so of the year so I can't really do that all the time.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
One review of all of them mentioned this, im not convinced.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Glass Packs :D No seriously , it would nice to have a nice open muffler, like a Magnaflow or Flowmaster and still retain the ability to change sound level though an exhaust valve like OEM between drive modes.

YMMV,

MidCow3
This is why I plan on just doing a downpipe :)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm not sure why this is a huge deal. It could be if the system used is very complex and can't be disabled with out disabling something else. I'm thinking they will use some type of mic that can surely be disconnected or snipped if need be.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
About this Discussion
148 Replies
79 Participants
seniorgeek
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing