Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as we all know by now, there are plenty of reviews circulating the internet and plenty of Facebook car pages, what I find amusing is the sheer amount of hate and b*tthurt from VW owners, trying to justify that their choice of vehicle is better. They ALL seem to ignore the price of the RS, it's quite amusing and as an old school RS fanatic (RS1600,RS3100) etc. I'm sorry but the RS badge carries more heritage than a GTi badge!

·
5,582 Posts
Forgot Golf R.
We have bigger fish to fry A45 and RS3 thank you very much :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Haha please share some links. I'm keen for a laugh.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bet the R420 will be substantially more expensive than the RS, which still makes the RS the bargain performer.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Seems a bit hypocritical, no? So many people here will say how inferior the Golf R is. Could that not be construed as "butthurt" in one way or another?

The DSG equipped Golf R is faster to 60 and will probably be faster through the 1/4 too. And in my opinion the interior of the R is nicer, but I'm buying the RS for other reasons (namely the 6MT).

That's the great thing about this littler rivalry (if you care to call it that), until you put both the RS and the R on the same track, on the same day, with the same driver, and same tires, everything that is said is SUBJECTIVE.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I bet the R420 will be substantially more expensive than the RS, which still makes the RS the bargain performer.
True the RS is a bargain performer, but if the R420 actually comes out, it should be similarly priced as the RS here in Canada, if not just marginally more. The Golf R sells for $3k less than a similarly equipped STI, and $4.5k less than the RS up here. But if it has the same hang-on haldex system as the R, that 420hp will be useless other than in a straight line and won't handle anywhere near close to the RS. The Golf R can't even keep up with the STI on a track.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
True the RS is a bargain performer, but if the R420 actually comes out, it should be similarly priced as the RS here in Canada, if not just marginally more. The Golf R sells for $3k less than a similarly equipped STI, and $4.5k less than the RS up here. But if it has the same hang-on haldex system as the R, that 420hp will be useless other than in a straight line and won't handle anywhere near close to the RS. The Golf R can't even keep up with the STI on a track.
Or as Tyron Johnson would say "Still Understeers" lol :)

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Seems a bit hypocritical, no? So many people here will say how inferior the Golf R is. Could that not be construed as "butthurt" in one way or another?

The DSG equipped Golf R is faster to 60 and will probably be faster through the 1/4 too. And in my opinion the interior of the R is nicer, but I'm buying the RS for other reasons (namely the 6MT).

That's the great thing about this littler rivalry (if you care to call it that), until you put both the RS and the R on the same track, on the same day, with the same driver, and same tires, everything that is said is SUBJECTIVE.
I would not say the same tires, I would say OEM wheel/tire combos, all options of them. So you would need to run the RS 3 times (OEM/PSS, Forged/PSS, Forged/PSC2).

I will add I like the Golf R. I girl in my local region recently got the manual R and I think plans to auto-x this year. So once I get the RS maybe one day her and I will swap cars mid event and see how it goes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The only cars that have ever really appealed to me from the VW group (excluding Bentley, Porsche, Lamborghini etc.) are the GTI, Audi RS4, and the poor mans Lambo Audi R8. Everything else from VW/Audi just gives me a great big meh. So needless to say I'm already happy with my Focus RS :semi-twins:

·
Registered
306 Posts
So as we all know by now, there are plenty of reviews circulating the internet and plenty of Facebook car pages, what I find amusing is the sheer amount of hate and b*tthurt from VW owners, trying to justify that their choice of vehicle is better. They ALL seem to ignore the price of the RS, it's quite amusing and as an old school RS fanatic (RS1600,RS3100) etc. I'm sorry but the RS badge carries more heritage than a GTi badge!
VW is insignificant now... they do not make the HP they claim now.. nor the performance.

Secondly, the VW (Rabbit/Golf) GTi is not in the same ballpark as a Rally Sport from Ford. I think we all know this...

·
Registered
167 Posts
The only cars that have ever really appealed to me from the VW group (excluding Bentley, Porsche, Lamborghini etc.) are the GTI, Audi RS4, and the poor mans Lambo Audi R8. Everything else from VW/Audi just gives me a great big meh. So needless to say I'm already happy with my Focus RS :semi-twins:
No GT3?

for shame... :wink-new:

GT3 (and possibly GT4) would be one of the few cars I would give up my Focus RS order for.

Edit: sorry I missed the "excluding"!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
VW is insignificant now... they do not make the HP they claim now.. nor the performance.
You mean gti's and R's aren't making the advertised power figures? I don't really follow those forums closely. I still say the RS will have it's hands full in a straight line with a DSG R.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I think there all great vehicles, does the R appeal to me, no. I'm into driving and how a vehicle drives, how it talks to the driver and listens to what I say back to it. If it is quick, and can dance the latter is what matters the most. The R/S3 (have not driven a RS3) are great vehicles up until about 90% and then everything goes to ****. Most drivers don't even know what that limit is or if they find it, there most likely so overwhelmed by the G's they have no idea what is actually going on. These vehicles have high limits and are really ever driven near them on the streets. The RS is for the people who know what that last 10% of the vehicle is and how to use it, it was engineered for that feel good play with me at the limit, lets have some fun and laughs while not killing ourselves kind of attitude.

As for any one who have interior comments. If the vehicle feels good so will the driver, that is what matters most. When you fall in love, you become blinded by the stupid little things. When is the last time you heard any one getting out of an F40 and saying yea but the interior is rubbish :)

·
Registered
128 Posts

Secondly, the VW (Rabbit/Golf) GTi is not in the same ballpark as a Rally Sport from Ford. I think we all know this...
GTIs regularly dyno over their rated HP. Most figure they make about the same power as an ST.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The R420 will use the same dumbass AWD as the current R. Why? I dont think they want the Golf to start performing better than the Audi with the same AWD ;)

1 - 20 of 128 Posts