Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a bit of a garage queen. It doesn't go out if they've pre-salted/brined the roads, it doesn't go out in the rain, and it doesn't go out if I have to park it at Door Ding Central. I have taken it to the track, so it's not as if I'm not enoying the capabilities.

Anyhow...

When I did the first oil change, I noted the axle shafts were a bit rusty. I would have thought they would have put that cosmoline suff on any un-painted/un-treated surfaces. I did an oil change last weekend and the rust seems to be getting worse. I KNOW it is just cosmetic, but still seems wrong. I think I might jack the car up, sand the rust off, use a rust inhibitor, then just brush paint it. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yeah I painted my shafts........

Reactions: SCR1RS

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
My car is a bit of a garage queen. It doesn't go out if they've pre-salted/brined the roads, it doesn't go out in the rain, and it doesn't go out if I have to park it at Door Ding Central. I have taken it to the track, so it's not as if I'm not enoying the capabilities.

Anyhow...

When I did the first oil change, I noted the axle shafts were a bit rusty. I would have thought they would have put that cosmoline suff on any un-painted/un-treated surfaces. I did an oil change last weekend and the rust seems to be getting worse. I KNOW it is just cosmetic, but still seems wrong. I think I might jack the car up, sand the rust off, use a rust inhibitor, then just brush paint it. Thoughts?
I’ve always wondered, but was afraid to ask.

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
266 Posts
Mine are rusty and it doesn't snow in South Carolina. The only salt I encounter is when I drive past the ocean. I second the painting of your shafts.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I’ve always wondered, but was afraid to ask.
I used POR 15, paint straight over the rust and it comes up unreal, I also did the driveshafts.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Grille

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I see autozone has a kit, degreaser etc., etc. Did you use something like that or just the paint?
You don't need to do any prep, you paint straight over it. The instructions on the can say it's fine to do that, that's what it's designed for.

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces.

Reactions: Crystals
1 - 20 of 33 Posts