Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
GKN Blurb, a few more numbers and percentages being thrown around regarding the RS
PACE Awards recognize GKN's diverse technology innovations

PACE Awards recognize GKN's diverse technology innovations

October 20, 2015: 02:49 PM ET

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- GKN Driveline has been named as a finalist in the Automotive News 2016 PACE Awards for two leading-edge driveline technologies - the Twinster Torque Vectoring all-wheel drive (AWD) system on the Ford Focus RS and an all-new lightweight Constant Velocity Joint (CVJ) sideshaft system, which can shave over 4 kilograms off the weight of a vehicle, yet improve torque capacity.
The Ford Focus RS Twinster uses an innovative combination of new gearing ratios and control algorithms to dynamically vector torque to the rear wheels, helping Ford to create a car with unprecedented dynamics, feel and handling.
Torque Vectoring is achieved by selectively over-speeding the rear wheels independently, fundamentally changing the way the car feels and handles. In curves, the Twinster makes the vehicle turn in more sharply, responding more immediately to the driver's inputs. In Ford's "drift mode", the AWD system delivers even more torque to the rear axle, delivering enough torque to the rear wheels for the RS to achieve a controlled "drift" through corners.
GKN's new VL3 CVJ sideshaft system is third generation cross-groove technology that enables rear-wheel drive platforms to save more than 4kg of weight, yet deliver the refined driving experience expected of a premium vehicle through unsurpassed balance and reduced backlash. The CVJ increases torque capacity by up to 27 percent compared to predecessor technology, with no increase in packaging size.
The nominations follow GKN's successful PACE program in 2015. GKN won a PACE Award for its two-speed eAxle, in production on the BMW i8, in April of this year and was also nominated for its AWD disconnect system on the Jeep Renegade and Fiat 500X.
Peter Moelgg, GKN Automotive President of Engineering said "It is a fantastic achievement to have two PACE Award finalists for the second year in a row, and we hope to emulate the success we enjoyed with the two-speed eAxle on the BMW i8.
"The Twinster on the Ford Focus RS and the VL3 CVJ sideshaft system are two very different technologies that illustrate our ability to innovate every aspect of our systems, ensuring we deliver truly optimised, integrated driveline solutions for our customers," he said.
The 2016 Automotive News PACE Awards winners will be announced in April next year.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Arrrgh, "a car with unprecedented dynamics, feel and handling.", can't wait!

Jim

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a FoST and have difficulty not cooking the brakes at an autox due to the e-diff. Went though a few different sets of pads until I found some that could handle a ProSolo without trying to catch fire. I haven't heard of anyone doing a 20 minute aggressive track session without problems in a FoST event with track pads. I have a reliable source with information from the cars development that said the end of a 20 minute track session still has concerns. Hopefully pads and fluid will be enough to resolve that in the RS. It definitely shouldn't have any issues covering three out of the four you listed.
I think I may have misunderstood the overheating concerns I stated above. Seems like it may have related to the AWD system based on this post:
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/14-focus-rs-events/1120-sema2015-live-chicago-pneumatic-11.html#post18962

The person didn't go into detail and had only said there were some overheating concerns at the end of a session. I think I made the wrong assumption based on my experiences with the FoST.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So basicly the car is either full on FWD when the AWD system shuts off (Overheating) or it is constantly adapting the Torque sent to the rear. Sounds awesome to me :D

·
Registered
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
At least as far as the second article, Ford explicitly forewent this. It costs something like 300ms to reconnect that drive and it was too steep of a penalty for a performance vehicle. So there is always power to the RDU, 100% of the time. At that point the computer decides whether to send that power to the wheels, and how

Highly recommend this thread: 2016 Ford Focus RS - NASIOC
Look for anything posted by Scooby921. My understanding is that he/she was one of the consultants on the RS AWD drive-train project

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The way I understood it is that there is not always power but there is always drag/friction or whatever for lack of a better word because the rear is always connected. So you lose out on some MPG because the rear can never truly be free spinning?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The way I understood it is that there is not always power but there is always drag/friction or whatever for lack of a better word because the rear is always connected. So you lose out on some MPG because the rear can never truly be free spinning?
When the car is in FWD mode the clutch packs in the RDU are completely disengaged, the drive shaft and gearing before the clutch packs will still spin, causing a certain amount of drag.

The rear end will be "free spinning" as you put it, not engaged with the axles/hubs/wheels/tires, but because the engine still has to spin the weight of the drive shaft and the gearing in the RDU, the vehicle will lose some fuel efficiency in FWD mode compared to a pure FWD vehicle.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It can be truly spinning freely but you are spinning unnecessary mass. There is no point to spin drive shafts and gears to basically have it do nothing when the clutches are open and not diverting power to the rear.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
So are you both agreeing with my but correcting terminology? I can't tell lol I just know that it will not ALWAYS have power going to the rear.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
So are you both agreeing with my but correcting terminology? I can't tell lol I just know that it will not ALWAYS have power going to the rear.
correct lol, The easiest way to state it is basically power is always going through the driveshafts and into the RDU. The RDU then will apply the clutches to use that power, the only thing that controls the drag on the system is the clutches. Everything before the clutches will always be rotating and this is where you have your excess drag on the system.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts