Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, from all info available I found out the drive system is a bit tunen Twinster from GNK. but my Q. would be: Is there permanent split torque between front and rear or is it more like haldex, that means reactive or as they say pre-emptive, but only in some situations, eg cornering ? Is it going in straight simple highway cruise 4wd or just front wheel?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
edited for accuracy until truth is revealed as company engineer and companies president of program management are saying opposing things

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not strictly 50/50, unless something's changed the split can be as much as 70/30 to the rear. But only when traction demands it, typically the vehicle is front wheel biased.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know if it'll help with understeer - usually FWD cars have the worst understeer, lord knows the ST is pretty bad. I think probably it's simply due to mechanical restrictions, or in other words: it's cheaper lol.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't know if it'll help with understeer - usually FWD cars have the worst understeer, lord knows the ST is pretty bad. I think probably it's simply due to mechanical restrictions, or in other words: it's cheaper lol.
You don't know how awd works then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
The system is engaged once steering input is received. While it may be front biased it will still be a million times better than a front wheel drive only vehicle.

Also dependent on throttle and such. So launching will be like launching an awd vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why wouldnt what help? I think we're talking about different things lol. I'm talking about the car being front biased, versus the 50/50 split WRX for example. If however the rear wheels kick in quickly enough then yes it will be much better than FWD of course. I wish there were more details released about under what conditions exactly the car sends 70% to the rear.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
I still think that once the formula for how they calculated the up to 70% to the rear claim some people will be disappointed. My guess is still that it takes a spinning front wheel that they don't use the brake based eLSD on to compute the "to the ground" power from front. But that said the understeer while on the gas should be minimal with the rear RDU directing power to the outer rear wheel to push it around the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wish there were more details released about under what conditions exactly the car sends 70% to the rear.
Try asking here. Also, from what I gather, even though it's not what I'd like on the same basis you mention, EVERYONE (including a heaping helping of Subaru owners) are loving the possibilities of this including its AWD because it is more advanced and will work quickly enough so that any bias to it being FWD won't even be noticeable.

Mike K

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
edited for accuracy until truth is revealed as company engineer and companies president of program management are saying opposing things

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I don't mean to be impolite but if you think the ST has an understeer problem you need to go to driving school. Never have I once encountered a situation when driving my ST that it defaulted to understeer. I do have a Steeda RSB but have driven many in stock form and can say the same. The back end is always willing to come out and play especially while trail braking. I guarantee you that the FoST and FiST understeer way less then any Golf R. I will also say after driving a WRX and a some what prepped FiST for rally, that the FiST was the better handling car even on dirt, it was also faster and I could dance the ass end on that Fiesta with more control and finesse then the WRX.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
It is exactly as I've explained it.

The rear cannot get more than 50% of the available torque, no matter what Ford marketing says.
The to the ground is not as you described it. The propeller shaft turning or not has very little to do with the front/rear split to the ground. If the rear clutches are both open the car is 100/0 split to the ground. If either rear clutch is 100% closed (assuming they can grab a variable percentages) then yes split will be close to 50/50. Remember if you apply force capable of 500 lb ft but the resistance to that torque is only 150 lb ft you have only effectively applied 150 lb ft. So, if a spinning tire has less resistance than a gripping tire to the torque applied to it..... you get marketing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The to the ground is not as you described it. The propeller shaft turning or not has very little to do with the front/rear split to the ground. If the rear clutches are both open the car is 100/0 split to the ground. If either rear clutch is 100% closed (assuming they can grab a variable percentages) then yes split will be close to 50/50. Remember if you apply force capable of 500 lb ft but the resistance to that torque is only 150 lb ft you have only effectively applied 150 lb ft. So, if a spinning tire has less resistance than a gripping tire to the torque applied to it..... you get marketing.
Hey, you should go through this thread: AWD Questions

Scooby921 actually has worked on the RS AWD system and is responsible for tuning it. This is where gte is getting a lot of his info from.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts