Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is rumor in the wind that the RS AWD system has some performance issues, can anyone elaborate on this?

EDIT: Sorry for the title typo.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Everything is a rumor right now. Nobody outside of Ford has actually driven the car. But if you care to elaborate, there are several people with ties to Ford on here that might be able to shed some light.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There is rumor in the wind that the RS AWD system has some performance issues, can anyone elaborate on this?
I think this rumor came from reports that the RS was breaking things when it was in the initial testing with the Evoke Twinster. Jim Fritz and the GKN guys freely admitted that they broke just about every part of that system, and that the RS Twinster is now a bespoke unit.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sounds like a rumor started by Subaru
Yeah Subaru with their decade old EJ257 engine under the hood of the brand spankin new 2015/2016 STI is one to talk. Glad I'm for sure getting an RS now so I don't have to worry about ringland failures and blown headgaskets not being covered under warranty :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rumour probally comes from the videos when they say the first attempt at the RDN failed. Which was the off the shelf unit used in the Range rovers. The current RDN is a new one designed for the RS which fixed the issues they found

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I believe it's a control issue where the AWD system doesn't perform like it's supposed to and impedes the vehicles performance.
For all I know this could be fixed via firmware/software by the time the car lands.
I'll try to get more details if I can.

EDIT: Supposedly when the AWD system is put through any sort of persistent performance scenario the split is uneven between the wheels, and it’s not performing up to the 70% on the rear and losing power.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I believe it's a control issue where the AWD system doesn't perform like it's supposed to and impedes the vehicles performance.
For all I know this could be fixed via firmware/software by the time the car lands.
I'll try to get more details if I can.

EDIT: Supposedly when the AWD system is put through any sort of persistent performance scenario the split is uneven between the wheels, and it’s not performing up to the 70% on the rear and losing power.
Yeah, you don't need to get more details on the rumor; you need more details on who said it and what their credentials are.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a Ford employee, but that doesn't matter.
I wanted to know if there was any credibility to the story or rumor and if anyone else know any more about this.
Which in the end doesn't really matter because I don't buy first year production runs anyways.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It's a Ford employee, but that doesn't matter.
I wanted to know if there was any credibility to the story or rumor and if anyone else know any more about this.
Are you basically saying that the RS when pushed hard doesn't use the AWD system to it's full potential? It does have thermal safety nets in place, but Ford have openly stated the RS should handle 30 mins of track time with no issues.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you basically saying that the RS when pushed hard doesn't use the AWD system to it's full potential? It does have thermal safety nets in place, but Ford have openly stated the RS should handle 30 mins of track time with no issues.
What I take from it is: Power distribution not as advertised, no persistent power to rear axle or it tapers off, and power distribution between wheels is off.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You probably should considering you'll be buying an upgraded ST package sans AWD.
You seem to be another one of those who comes on here only to speak negatively of the RS and claim that it is a waste of money over the ST. Get out of here dude. This is the official Focus RS forum for RS enthusiasts and we don't need that kind of negativity.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
What I take from it is: Power distribution not as advertised, no persistent power to rear axle or it tapers off, and power distribution between wheels is off.
We have heard nothing that would relate to this. The system is constantly varying TQ output and placement, I'm not sure what it uses to ensure that it's targets are met though and properly being distributed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
54 Replies
29 Participants
Hoonigan
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing