Ford Focus RS Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
I'm used to it. It's not too bad

The Mrs. has a fully loaded C-Max and (yep) motorized hatch release.

There's a motorized strut that you can get for the Focus, I just don't want to deal with the install. This is good enough for me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm used to it. It's not too bad

The Mrs. has a fully loaded C-Max and (yep) motorized hatch release.

There's a motorized strut that you can get for the Focus, I just don't want to deal with the install. This is good enough for me.
Might bite the bullet soon. And yes I saw that too, looks too complicated imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wanted to update all on my use since installing these.

The trunk doesn't always go up by itself without help as it will stop EDIT part through...up to 6". This could be as we hit colder months(? - PNW), however I've thought about trying to put a little oil on a rang and wipe the the pistons to see if it helps.

Anyone else experience this yet?

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
I don't have an issue with mine as of yet.

i would suggest to use white lithium grease, i prefer the tube application rather than spray

·
Registered
269 Posts
Reporting back - so the WLG has helped some? Time will tell and I’ll add some more here in a couple weeks.
Standard though, the attached pic is what I see about every time when I open it in car or by remote. Then like a spotter for lifting weights, I help get past that spot.

74102278-84F0-4A4D-8794-D88AC14244CE.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Reporting back - so the WLG has helped some? Time will tell and I’ll add some more here in a couple weeks.
Standard though, the attached pic is what I see about every time when I open it in car or by remote. Then like a spotter for lifting weights, I help get past that spot.

View attachment 337615
I just picked up the Mrs. yesterday from LAX, with two check in baggage in the trunk.

Once of the baggage was resting on the rear window. I have the same action on mine.

But when I unloaded the bags from the trunk and nothing is resting, all works as normal.

are the springs binding on yours?

·
Registered
269 Posts
are the springs binding on yours?
I'll check the springs...are they supposed to just be fully free to slide up and down or locked in place?

For reference: I installed mine just like you with the springs at the body of the car and main piston on the hatch.

·
Registered
269 Posts
mine can slide through if i move it with my fingers
Sorry it took me so long to get back. Mine are stuck right where they are. They won't move. So if I understand, with hatch open, you can take the spring along with the top and bottom hat the spring rests on and slide it up the piston?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
I just came back form our office's parking structure to double checked. I can slide the spring off the hat close to the cup and the bottom hat will slide through position.

It should stay in place but it should not be stuck and you need to force it off the top hat. The springs become compress when the trunk lid is close and becomes the mechanism to pop it open when you unlock it.

Just make sure it's not binding.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm with you on this - the spring is fully in place and I can "pop" it off the bottom hat if I give it a real good tug. The spring does not rotate while stuck to the top and bottom hat.

It looks like the bottom hat isn't going to move unless I pry it. You can see the spring compress as the piston body pushes against the top hat.

It just doesn't seem to launch it enough to have the trunk go up on its own. We have been in the 50's (low 40's at night). So I will have to wait and see how this preforms in the warmer weather and see if that has any effect?
I'll grease it up again here this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
It would since the tube will be filled with something (oil, gas, etc.)

Lithium won't hurt it, it'll just help it and make the actuation smoother and protects it from the elements.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts