Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully managed to change the setting for whether their car's automatic door locking and unlocking is enabled or disabled? I'm looking to disable it, as I don't like the idea of the lock/unlock mechanism being used more frequently than necessary.

The manual has instructions on how to do it (press the unlock button three time, turn on the ignition, press it again three times, blah blah blah) but I can't seem to get it to work. I never get a horn honk confirmation that the system is in programming mode. I'm not sure if there's some trick to doing it or if the manual is just wrong with its instructions.

It honestly makes no sense to me at all that Ford would include a nice little LCD with an easily navigable user interface between the tachometer and speedometer, and then not use it for changing settings like this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm interested in this too. First thing I disabled in my 03 S10. Hated that it cycled all 4 locks every time. Especially for 1 person in the truck.

·
Registered
717 Posts
So how does it function without that? just the one door? press once for one door, press twice for all kind of deal?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wish there was an easy setting for this. Usually I like it, but the first time I washed the car I must've cycled the locks 100 times. It would be nice to enable and disable it quickly. Like a "have to park your car in South Atlanta mode" or something.

Today I walked up to it after work and it didn't unlock. I stood there like an idiot pressing my pocket up to the door handle. Ended up just pressing the button. It's one click for the driver's door, two for the rest like most cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the autolock and autounlock feature I'm looking to disable is the one that automatically locks the doors when you start driving. Again, there are directions on disabling it around page 58 in the manual, but they don't seem to work.

I actually like the keyless proximity locking and unlocking (when the car detects your hand on the exterior door handle or lock button) though I did do the same thing the first time I washed my car, unintentionally locking and unlocking the locks several times before I eventually took the keys out of my pocket until the wash was done.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wish our Aussie cars did autolock when you drive off but I think we missed out on this feature. Can any Aussie's confirm???

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Actually, the autolock and autounlock feature I'm looking to disable is the one that automatically locks the doors when you start driving. Again, there are directions on disabling it around page 58 in the manual, but they don't seem to work.
There are two or three different variations of the procedure to disable this feature. The manual might not have the right one in it. Even if you get it enabled, it will revert back to the annoying autolock every time you reflash the BCM or disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I finally got the procedure to work!

What ended up working was to do the following (relatively quickly, within about 30 seconds):

1. [Car is off] Press the unlock button three times.
2. [Car is off] Press the start button (without pressing the clutch pedal) [Car turns on without engine starting].
3. [Car is on, but engine not running] Press the unlock button three more times.
4. [Car is on, but engine not running] Press the start button again [Car turns off].
5. [Car is off] Press the unlock button three MORE times.
6. [Car is off] Press the start button again (without pressing the clutch pedal) [Car turns on without engine starting] [Horn chirps to signify programming mode]
* Only one of the following two step 7. items can be done at a time. To do the other, the sequence must be finished and then restarted.
7*. [Car is on, but engine not running] To toggle autounlock, press the unlock button, then the lock button. [The horn will chirp once for disabled, twice for enabled]
7*. [Car is on, but engine not running] To toggle autolock, press the lock button, then the unlock button. [The horn will chirp once for disabled, twice for enabled]
8. [Car is on, but engine not running] Press the start button again to finish the programming. [Car turns off] [Horn chirps once to signify the end of programming mode]

That's it! So, now when I start the car and drive off, the doors no longer automatically lock at 4 mph, and don't unlock (nor do they have to, since they weren't locked to begin with) when I turn the car off and pull the door handle to get out. I know it's probably nitpicky, but I like the fact that I'm not putting additional wear and tear on the power door locks by effectively doubling the number of times they're used throughout the life of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You know what I like about disabling the auto lock "feature"? I like the fact that if I get in a fiery crash, someone can pull me out of the wreckage before I burn to a crisp! I never thought of auto lock as a smart idea.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok, I finally got the procedure to work!

What ended up working was to do the following (relatively quickly, within about 30 seconds):

1. [Car is off] Press the unlock button three times.
2. [Car is off] Press the start button (without pressing the clutch pedal) [Car turns on without engine starting].
3. [Car is on, but engine not running] Press the unlock button three more times.
4. [Car is on, but engine not running] Press the start button again [Car turns off].
5. [Car is off] Press the unlock button three MORE times.
6. [Car is off] Press the start button again (without pressing the clutch pedal) [Car turns on without engine starting] [Horn chirps to signify programming mode]
* Only one of the following two step 7. items can be done at a time. To do the other, the sequence must be finished and then restarted.
7*. [Car is on, but engine not running] To toggle autounlock, press the unlock button, then the lock button. [The horn will chirp once for disabled, twice for enabled]
7*. [Car is on, but engine not running] To toggle autolock, press the lock button, then the unlock button. [The horn will chirp once for disabled, twice for enabled]
8. [Car is on, but engine not running] Press the start button again to finish the programming. [Car turns off] [Horn chirps once to signify the end of programming mode]

That's it! So, now when I start the car and drive off, the doors no longer automatically lock at 4 mph, and don't unlock (nor do they have to, since they weren't locked to begin with) when I turn the car off and pull the door handle to get out. I know it's probably nitpicky, but I like the fact that I'm not putting additional wear and tear on the power door locks by effectively doubling the number of times they're used throughout the life of the car.
Thanks for that - I get all the beeps but no auto lock (which I want, it came standard with no auto lock).

·
Registered
120 Posts
You know what I like about disabling the auto lock "feature"? I like the fact that if I get in a fiery crash, someone can pull me out of the wreckage before I burn to a crisp! I never thought of auto lock as a smart idea.
My understanding is that when the car detects a crash the doors open

1 - 12 of 12 Posts