Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Can't wait for the price of carbon fiber rims to come down. I've always run my GD STi in SM against gutted cars with slicks. Never won, but got third a lot and just drove away while everybody else put their cars back on the trailor it came in on. With the RS I'll do the same, but it won't be modded so much to put me in SM. Hope to find perfect balance with alignment for daily use so I don't have to change anything before autoX. I'm getting the feeling that a lot of RS's will be racing with very similar setups so it's really who is the best driver. For me it's all in the fun and my daughter wants to learn how to drive like daddy. Productin on the RS I doubt will go beyond 2017 so I'm putting in an order for a shadow black RS2 this weekend.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So from what I've read on a couple of different places, this seems like a decent setup but I'd like run it by you guys before I purchase.

Oz Omnia 18x8 45mm offset wheels
RE71r 245 tires

Any other details I'm missing? First time tire/wheel shopper here and first time autocrosser.

·
Registered
898 Posts
So from what I've read on a couple of different places, this seems like a decent setup but I'd like run it by you guys before I purchase.

Oz Omnia 18x8 45mm offset wheels
RE71r 245 tires

Any other details I'm missing? First time tire/wheel shopper here and first time autocrosser.
Don't like the look of the Omnia ... ultraleggera in matte graphite silver.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you are a first time autox'r, you would be best off saving money, get a rim that is around 20lbs and use the money saved to do a driver's school. Most regions offer one, usually early in the season or you could also look to see if there is an EVO school near you. Also try to get an instructor in your car whenever possible. That's free and there are many people like myself who enjoy instructing as much or more than racing. Getting numerous instructors will give you different view points and help you find one that relates best to your learning style.

There are a bunch of wheel selections in the 20lb range. I have run Sparcos and never had an issue. They are offered in black, graphite silver, and white.
Sparco Assetto Gara Black Painted

There are quite a few others as well.
Enkei Tuning TS9 Platinum Grey
Advanti DST Optimo Machined w/Black Accent
Advanti HY Hybris Black Painted
Advanti HY Hybris Silver Machined w/Clearcoat

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes most definitely will do get an instructor. I tried that one time about 10 years ago at a road course and it was highly educational. Also picked up a couple of books. I also am semi-serious into RC model cars so I'm hoping some of those skills translate over to real cars. I'll be concentrating on autocross first then will get another set of wheels/tires for roadcourse in the future.

If you are a first time autox'r, you would be best off saving money, get a rim that is around 20lbs and use the money saved to do a driver's school. Most regions offer one, usually early in the season or you could also look to see if there is an EVO school near you. Also try to get an instructor in your car whenever possible. That's free and there are many people like myself who enjoy instructing as much or more than racing. Getting numerous instructors will give you different view points and help you find one that relates best to your learning style.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like the SPARCO ASSETTO GARA 18x8 wheels. Staying under $200 per wheel is good.

Is this the correct RE71r for those wheels?
Bridgestone*Potenza RE-71R

Do I need the tire pressure sensors?

Do any other companies have better deals than tirerack?

Double checking everything before I hit BUY!

There are a bunch of wheel selections in the 20lb range. I have run Sparcos and never had an issue. They are offered in black, graphite silver, and white.

There are quite a few others as well.
Enkei Tuning TS9 Platinum Grey
Advanti DST Optimo Machined w/Black Accent
Advanti HY Hybris Black Painted
Advanti HY Hybris Silver Machined w/Clearcoat

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I like the SPARCO ASSETTO GARA 18x8 wheels. Staying under $200 per wheel is good.

Is this the correct RE71r for those wheels?
Bridgestone*Potenza RE-71R

Double checking everything before I hit BUY!
The Sparcos are good wheels. They're made by OZ, though it's their "cheap" brand.

Tires are the right size, IMO. 255s are likely faster, but whatever.

That's likely the exact setup that I'll be running...

·
Registered
285 Posts

DocWalt's answers are spot on.

TPMS is optional. I don't run them however every time you start the RS you will have to hit OK when it warns you about the TPMS sensor before you can switch drive modes. Unlike some cars, it does not prevent you from turning TCS or ESC off.

i shopped around in the past and Tire Rack was always very competitive for the prices I was able to find so I don't bother to look. Their service is top notch and I usually receive everything if in stock the next day or two days at most with normal shipping. They are a major sponsor of the SCCA so it makes it even easier to want to give them my business. Anytime I have had any issues they take care of it ASAP with no hassle. For example, two of my OZ center caps discolored that I had for my ST. They sent me an entire set, no charge, no questions asked, no pictures even needed, and told me to keep the old ones. Had issues with trim rings once, and same experience.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Where does everyone stand on their BS builds?

I'm only at 18x8 255/35 re71r
Air filter

I still need to source some brake pads, has anyone settled on what's working well?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts