Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mods are new and trickling in but it's time to really decide what the best build for the RS will be. Whether being classed in AS or BS the rules remain the same. Mods allowed are few and far between and should make for a rather homogeneous group of competitive street class RSs.

What are your suggestions for:

Rim based on size (18 or 19 width cannot change) and weight,
Tire based on size (fitting 18 or 19) and best overall auto-x performance,
Cat-back exhaust considering weight lost and power gained,
Performance air filter,
Struts (spring not changeable per rules),
Sway bar (may change either front or rear not both),
Brake pads,
Legal weight removal,
Alignment specs,

This is my basic understanding of the mods allowed in the street classes at the moment. Please correct me if I'm wrong so I can edit this post.

·
Registered
846 Posts
18" Oz lagerra hlt 19 lb
245/40/18 re11a

Don't mess with catback or intake unless a substantially lighter cbe is made

Whatever brake pads may come out. Hawk hp+ or something that work good even cold

Remove back seat

Max out negative camber. Should be able to get to around -2.5 F

0 toe x4

Upgrade front (rear?) sway bar to super big (you can change 1 sway bar for street class)

I thought you could change springs just not ride height? If not just leave the dampers alone since they are electronic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
18" Oz lagerra hlt 19 lb
245/40/18 re11a

Don't mess with catback or intake unless a substantially lighter cbe is made

Whatever brake pads may come out. Hawk hp+ or something that work good even cold

Remove back seat

0 toe x4

Upgrade front (rear?) sway bar to super big (you can change 1 sway bar for street class)

I thought you could change springs just not ride height? If not just leave the dampers alone since they are electronic

So you DONT know any of the RULES, you might want to stay out of the thread. you can only change one sway bar- and RE11s are OLD ass news. and you CANT change springs at all. and NO way you get -2.5. no room in the perch. and you CAN NOT remove interior bits(like seats)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Its a lightweight 18x8 wheel
245/40/18 RE71Rs
maybe a front sway
custom alignment to fix toe(maybe little camber)
unless you want to give up the adjustable stock dampers and go bling out some MCSs your done

·
Registered
846 Posts
So you DONT know any of the RULES, you might want to stay out of the thread. you can only change one sway bar- and RE11s are OLD ass news. and you CANT change springs at all. and NO way you get -2.5. no room in the perch. and you CAN NOT remove interior bits(like seats)
no need to be a ****bag. Jesus

I said you can change 1 sway bar. Not sure why you mentioned that.

I misspoke on RE11 because I was on my phone. RE71R is what i meant.

And you used to be able to change springs, SORRRYYYYYYYY. I even said "if not, then just leave them".

Better than the suggestions you didn't get.

LOL @ "lightweight 18x8 wheel"

Super specific there. That is ****ing obvious.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't heard or see of a lightweight single exhaust for sale, would really like to know the OEM cat-back weight for comparison purposes, nobody lists aftermarket exhaust weights!

·
Registered
317 Posts
no need to be a ****bag. Jesus

I said you can change 1 sway bar. Not sure why you mentioned that.

I misspoke on RE11 because I was on my phone. RE71R is what i meant.

And you used to be able to change springs, SORRRYYYYYYYY. I even said "if not, then just leave them".

Better than the suggestions you didn't get.

LOL @ "lightweight 18x8 wheel"

Super specific there. That is ****ing obvious.
just drives me crazy in a street rules post, when the first poster, posts a few things that you would end up in Street Modified if you showed up with. and yes generic 18x8 light weight wheels- peoples budgets and tastes are different-

but no worries man, you just do your thing.

·
Registered
846 Posts
just drives me crazy in a street rules post, when the first poster, posts a few things that you would end up in Street Modified if you showed up with. and yes generic 18x8 light weight wheels- peoples budgets and tastes are different-

but no worries man, you just do your thing.
I mentioned one thing that wasn't legal. And it was in the form of a question. Not "a few things".

Drives me crazy when people don't read before they react.

This isn't a thread asking for budgets. What's light weight? 16 lb? 18 lb? 24 lb? What's available? Let's start with that hot shot.

It's not real helpful to just say "get lightweight wheels herp derp"

·
Registered
285 Posts
you think 255/40 will rub? Quite a big price difference between 35 and 40mm sidewalls.
The BFG's tend to run wide and my 245's are more like a 255. I am pretty certain that 255/40 won't rub and if they do it would only be at the front part of the fender liner and very light. It would self clearance and there shouldn't be any hard contact.

I went with the 255/35 RE71R because it lowers the CG which I think the car needs being 350 lbs heavier than the ST on the same 8" wheel. It does give up a couple MPH over the taller tire but that should be offset by better acceleration. Overall, I think the benefits of the shorter tire outweigh those of the taller one.

If BFG made a 255/35, I would be running that like I am with the RE71R instead of the 245/40 Rival S.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you qualify this? Is there any real-world data\experience with dialing in more negative camber on the RS?

We had the dealer zero out the toe before delivery. Here was their response:
"The toe was off a bit and we corrected that. The front camber is -1.3L -1.1R. the rear is at -.4 and -.8, the rear is non-adjustable without parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We're running ours for the first time in two weeks. Once we've had a weekend to absorb and catalog our impressions we'll start to think about what it needs. We'll run it back to back with our STU EVO IX, should be entertaining.

Certainly some 18x8s, also hoping to squeeze a set of 265/35/18s from the Evo on there at some point. Maybe a bar and\or adjustable links, if possible. Other than that, I think we'll leave the rest of it alone.... maybe. Guess we'll see how the OE pads feel (they feel great on the street anyways) and figure out how to mount up a harness (for autocross only).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts