Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is a rare feature in the states anyone know anything about this. I understand that with you stop the car the engine also stop and then it will start when it thinks you are about to go again. But, is this a user configuration feature, can I disable it when I don't want it turning off.

Just thinking that it would be nice if when enabled there is a cue (audible as well as info center maybe) a few moments before it stops the engine and as the driver I can do something to cancel it (maybe press the cancel button on cruise controls or say "cancel/override") if I see that within x seconds I will need to resume anyway. No way the car will be very aware of all conditions around the car like an alert driver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not that up on the stop/start technology, but I believe how it works in a manual car is the engine shuts off once the car has come to a stop, you've shifted to neutral, and released the clutch. It will start once you push the clutch in to shift back into 1st or reverse. When it shuts off, a light on the dash, usually an "A" with a circle on it will light up until it restarts.

This is one of those features that I could care less if Europe gets on the RS and we don't. I think it would be extremely annoying, especially in stop and go traffic. If we do end up getting stuck with it, there better be a way to disable it at the dealer or through a tune other than pressing a button every time I get into the car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's an option to turn it off in the center screen. I've never been in a car with it, but I think one of the RS promo videos of the menu-options shows a start - stop option.

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
I'm not that up on the stop/start technology, but I believe how it works in a manual car is the engine shuts off once the car has come to a stop, you've shifted to neutral, and released the clutch. It will start once you push the clutch in to shift back into 1st or reverse. When it shuts off, a light on the dash, usually an "A" with a circle on it will light up until it restarts.

This is one of those features that I could care less if Europe gets on the RS and we don't. I think it would be extremely annoying, especially in stop and go traffic. If we do end up getting stuck with it, there better be a way to disable it at the dealer or through a tune other than pressing a button every time I get into the car.
From what we have been able to gather from the press releases and the way it works on other vehicles I would say you have a pretty firm grasp on what we do know about it. Fortunately it won't work unless you shift to neutral and take your foot off the clutch according to Ford, but Iwould be incredibly surprised if you didn't have to push a button to disable after every ignition cycle.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Since this is a rare feature in the states anyone know anything about this. I understand that with you stop the car the engine also stop and then it will start when it thinks you are about to go again. But, is this a user configuration feature, can I disable it when I don't want it turning off.

Just thinking that it would be nice if when enabled there is a cue (audible as well as info center maybe) a few moments before it stops the engine and as the driver I can do something to cancel it (maybe press the cancel button on cruise controls or say "cancel/override") if I see that within x seconds I will need to resume anyway. No way the car will be very aware of all conditions around the car like an alert driver.

Not sure why you think start/stop is rare..?
It is a feature like anything else and can be turned on/off. When ON, often times you won't know if the car is off, or on or that start/stop is even working.

The question is, why do You feel the need to notify the car of anything.. (other than turning the feature on, or off)... , or think/want constant driver interaction..? Makes no sense.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure why you think start/stop is rare..?
It is a feature like anything else and can be turned on/off. When ON, often times you won't know if the car is off, or on or that start/stop is even working.

The question is, why do You feel the need to notify the car of anything.. (other than turning the feature on, or off)... , or think/want constant driver interaction..? Makes no sense.
Very few non-hybrid cars in the US have this feature, outside the US it is more common. With this car unless you have the sound system fairly loud, I'm pretty sure you would notice the engine stop, unless Ford uses the stereo to feed fake engine running sounds in the car while the engine is stopped. Of the hybrids I've driven I've always known if the engine was running or not, those engines are tiny compared to the one in the Focus RS.

If I'm roll to a stop and I see the other lights going yellow-red and know my light will be green in less than 5 seconds there is no reason to let the car auto stop just to auto start, that is just excess wear on the starter that was pointless. But at the next light that I know will be a longer stop I may want the auto stop-start do its thing. I like the idea of the feature, but it can only be so smart with the limited sensor inputs in the car (it can't observe or communicate with the traffic control lights to estimate the length of the stop). And I understand that not every driver would care for a cue and override option, so that would likely need to be an another optional setting related to the auto stop-start.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I drove a mini with auto stop/start and it wasn't too bad, though I did find it a bit annoying and what's the point really? You're not saving much gas shutting the engine down for a few seconds at a light...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Very few non-hybrid cars in the US have this feature, outside the US it is more common. With this car unless you have the sound system fairly loud, I'm pretty sure you would notice the engine stop, unless Ford uses the stereo to feed fake engine running sounds in the car while the engine is stopped. Of the hybrids I've driven I've always known if the engine was running or not, those engines are tiny compared to the one in the Focus RS.

If I'm roll to a stop and I see the other lights going yellow-red and know my light will be green in less than 5 seconds there is no reason to let the car auto stop just to auto start, that is just excess wear on the starter that was pointless. But at the next light that I know will be a longer stop I may want the auto stop-start do its thing. I like the idea of the feature, but it can only be so smart with the limited sensor inputs in the car (it can't observe or communicate with the traffic control lights to estimate the length of the stop). And I understand that not every driver would care for a cue and override option, so that would likely need to be an another optional setting related to the auto stop-start.
Ford has it on almost all models including new F-150, Fusion, Fiesta, Focus, etc

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts

Well in that situation then you leave your foot on the clutch and have the car in gear and it won't shut the engine off. It is only going to do it if you put the car in neutral and take your foot off the clutch. I do this at very few lights, so in the end I don't think it is going to effect me very much at all.

I drove a mini with auto stop/start and it wasn't too bad, though I did find it a bit annoying and what's the point really? You're not saving much gas shutting the engine down for a few seconds at a light...
According to tests by AAA the auto stop/start feature resulted to 7% increased fuel economy on the 3 cars they tested using the same city mileage test that the EPA uses to do fuel economy ratings. You can see it here.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I can see putting this "feature" on an economy car like a Prius. Putting it on a "track ready" or "performance" vehicle is ridiculous. If you care about fuel economy I simply don't understand why you would buy the RS. Or ST, for that matter. Let's say you spend $2,500 in fuel a year - at 7% (optimistic number if you ask me), you're saving $175 max. Pocket change.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The RS is a hot hatch it needs to do everything well. I think autostart/stop is useless an annoying but for some reason Ford decided to implement it on the RS. There are people who care about economy on these cars, I do for one, but only in terms of being decent as in not 15mpgs. This will be a lot of members DD, so it should be well rounded that is the point of the RS, if I wanted a dedicated track car I would get a Z06 and they still can mange 30mpgs.

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
I can see putting this "feature" on an economy car like a Prius. Putting it on a "track ready" or "performance" vehicle is ridiculous. If you care about fuel economy I simply don't understand why you would buy the RS. Or ST, for that matter. Let's say you spend $2,500 in fuel a year - at 7% (optimistic number if you ask me), you're saving $175 max. Pocket change.
You are preaching to the choir for the most part. I'm sure the engineers at Ford could care less about having it on the RS as well, but the EPA is mandating certain thresholds for miles per gallon across manufacturers entire range(CAFE standards). They increase almost every year and have to average 50mpg across a manufacturers entire range by 2025. The gains on economy cars are the ones that are going to get them there, so in your our eyes 7% is nothing and not worth the annoyance but it does a lot for Ford to actually work toward the EPA mandates. So if anything you might want to blame the government rather than the manufactures for adding things like this to the cars.

Read about it here.

·
Registered
914 Posts
You are preaching to the choir for the most part. I'm sure the engineers at Ford could care less about having it on the RS as well, but the EPA is mandating certain thresholds for miles per gallon across manufacturers entire range(CAFE standards). They increase almost every year and have to average 50mpg across a manufacturers entire range by 2025. The gains on economy cars are the ones that are going to get them there, so in your our eyes 7% is nothing and not worth the annoyance but it does a lot for Ford to actually work toward the EPA mandates. So if anything you might want to blame the government rather than the manufactures for adding things like this to the cars.

Read about it here.
Hopefully it can be turned off by default with a tune. The Mercedes I am looking at also has this turned on by default so it appears shopping for new cars is going to get very irritating.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Can you disable auto start stop from the options menu so that it is always disabled on startup?
on the f150 there is a button on the dash for every time or you can disable it in the menu permenanatly. the fusions you have to do it every time.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Edmunds has a good write up as well.

Do Stop-Start Systems Really Save Fuel? | Edmunds.com

Again, I think it's better served on non-performance cars, even though it does actually save some fuel. Or at least give owners who don't care the ability to shut it off permanently instead of pressing a button. I realize the government has mandated better fuel economy and overall that's not a bad thing. The numbers the Ecoboost engines produce are impressive while still maintaining good fuel economy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
on the f150 there is a button on the dash for every time or you can disable it in the menu permenanatly. the fusions you have to do it every time.
I see, thanks for the info. I could have sworn that there was a video somewhere showing auto start-stop on the menu options of the Focus RS, but I can't find it now.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
45 Participants
LouFromDetroit
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing