Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this happened to anyone else? I searched but the only other thread I found was someone complaining about the auto start/stop feature. I wish I had a pic of this but it's only happened to me when I'm in the middle of traffic and I have to immediately get going. Basically what happens is I come to a stop and the engine shuts off normally when I take my foot off the clutch. When I disengage the clutch the engine doesn't attempt to start and I just get that message on the center display. It's extremely jarring when I'm in traffic. I have to hit the button for the push-to-start and the vehicle does a normal start where the headlights will turn off for a second and I can drive away.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Has this happened to anyone else? I searched but the only other thread I found was someone complaining about the auto start/stop feature. I wish I had a pic of this but it's only happened to me when I'm in the middle of traffic and I have to immediately get going. Basically what happens is I come to a stop and the engine shuts off normally when I take my foot off the clutch. When I disengage the clutch the engine doesn't attempt to start and I just get that message on the center display. It's extremely jarring when I'm in traffic. I have to hit the button for the push-to-start and the vehicle does a normal start where the headlights will turn off for a second and I can drive away.
Happens to me always when below 50F, no idea how to resolve. Been told might need a new battery but it's happend since I've owend it so who knows.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oddly enough I got the same message for the first time last night. But my scenario is that the car auto turned off and I opened the door and got out while it was off. When I got back in I noticed the message. I guess in this case it makes sense since theres no driver when the car turns back on? ugh safety. In traffic I always turn off the auto start/stop feature. That would give an enormous amount of unnecessary engine cycles. I'll intentionally do it tonight and update you if anything happens.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I agree, I hate the damn thing. I'm usually good at turning it off about 98% of the time. I really wish that a tuner could figure out a way to have it turned off and put the car into Sport mode immediately when you start the car.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not asking how to turn it off, I need the malfunction fixed. I'll be bringing this up with my dealer during my next appointment but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oddly enough I got the same message for the first time last night. But my scenario is that the car auto turned off and I opened the door and got out while it was off. When I got back in I noticed the message. I guess in this case it makes sense since theres no driver when the car turns back on? ugh safety. In traffic I always turn off the auto start/stop feature. That would give an enormous amount of unnecessary engine cycles. I'll intentionally do it tonight and update you if anything happens.
I think you're getting a different message. That's not a malfunction. If I am stopped somewhere (like parked) with the parking brake on, it will tell me I need to push the clutch pedal to restart the car if the auto start/stop engages.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
This happened to me on a couple of occasions.

Stop and go on the freeway, put on neutral and let go of clutch..... then immediately stepped on clutch because traffic started to move and it happened.

manual restart required, put on neutral and step on clutch. Press button to start. A bit embarrassing but oh well.

Reactions: Tia

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car was in the shop all day. Dealer says it was the neutral sensor safety switch. Parts are on order.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Car was in the shop all day. Dealer says it was the neutral sensor safety switch. Parts are on order.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
@mapco, did this solve your problem? Mine has been doing the same thing for a while. It' started out as only happening in the mornings when the weather was cool, but now it does it all the time. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't reproduce the problem.

·
Registered
454 Posts
This happened to me on a couple of occasions.

Stop and go on the freeway, put on neutral and let go of clutch..... then immediately stepped on clutch because traffic started to move and it happened.

manual restart required, put on neutral and step on clutch. Press button to start. A bit embarrassing but oh well.
Yup I ended up sitting through a street light cycle to the dismay of traffic behind me... felt like amatuer hour. Lol. I was pissed but laughed after. It was like I was stuck in a feedback cycle. Stalled out a few times over.

I absolutely hate that auto start/stop. If I tune the car that's getting axed beyond a doubt!

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Replacing the battery fixed my issue:

auto start/stop malfunction, manual restart required
Thanks for the feedback good to know. Makes sense as the one of the parameters is battery voltage its voltage sensitive. A high resistance battery connection or a suspect battery where the voltage drops below the triggering threshold would cause a no auto start event.
I'll start using the system if I suspect the battery is losing performance as a kind of battery condition monitor. Wouldn't use it otherwise.

ciao

·
Registered
175 Posts
my auto start-stop disable button stopped working, I cannot disable this stupid feature anymore, Ford wants to charge me about $500 to fix it. Does anyone have the part number for that button? I can easily swap it myself.
2017 RS1

·
Registered
175 Posts
It was YouTube, my bad! View attachment 338364
Cool, I'll check that out. Thank you !! HWY101 traffic from Morgan Hill to Sunnyvale SUCKS !! when the car keeps shutting down on me lol.

Side Note, Also sucks when the traffic moves along at 3MPH when the car wants to do a MIN of 5MPH with no input LOL,...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts