Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see either mentioned in the 600A package notes...

Can anyone confirm the RS has neither?

I'd love an auto-dimming mirror, and I've grown quite fond of my little Fiesta ST's ambient lighting lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
No auto dimming mirror, sadly.

Ambient lighting should be in place but not confirmed to be multicolor, all reports I have seen state that it's white.

·
Registered
336 Posts
No auto dimming mirror, sadly.

Ambient lighting should be in place but not confirmed to be multicolor, all reports I have seen state that it's white.
good to know, we've only ever got the single colour ambient lighting (red in the Focus ST).

Would look good if the ambient lighting was blue (to match the Nitrous Blue hints such as stitching/callipers)

·
Registered
114 Posts
no auto dimming mirror as mentioned above. That's why I installed a Gentex auto dimming home-link mirror in my ST AND I removed it before i sold the ST. The mirror is sitting in my garage waiting for the RS to arrive!
Been wondering - how tough is the install for the Gentex? I can't see living w/o auto dimming mirror and that seems like the best option.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
no auto dimming mirror as mentioned above. That's why I installed a Gentex auto dimming home-link mirror in my ST AND I removed it before i sold the ST. The mirror is sitting in my garage waiting for the RS to arrive!
Does Gentex make a home-link with more than 3 buttons ? ; I need 4:rolleyes:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
47 Posts
What we are interested in are; which model, how it actually looks inside the car with the trim and if there are any fitment/install issues. That would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
good to know, we've only ever got the single colour ambient lighting (red in the Focus ST).

Would look good if the ambient lighting was blue (to match the Nitrous Blue hints such as stitching/callipers)
I think it would be even better if you got the car painted in Nitrous Blue!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Does Gentex make a home-link with more than 3 buttons ? ; I need 4:rolleyes:

YMMV,

MidCow3
1st World problems Cow.... I like it!

I searched, but it sure doesn't look like Gentex makes one. All their solutions seem to have 3 buttons.

Plan A) Of course, the OBVIOUS solution is to add on a 40x80 shop at your place with 2 large rollup doors, then buy 2 of these.
homelink.jpg

Plan B) How about a WIFI solution using your smartphone? WiFi Garage Door Options- Postscapes

YMMV

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
What I'm going to do is add a Broadway convex mirror. Yeah, it's orthopedic looking, but they work real well. I kinda prefer the blue tinted ones as an inbetween, since they aren't auto dimming. I've used them for years in cars that have crappy rear visibility, and I can't think of too many cars that have worse rear visibility than the Focus.

s-l225.jpg

Here's a thread from FocusST.org on the Broadway> Broadway Wide-Angle Rear View Mirror Review

Then I'll probably add a Homelink module to the headliner. I don't have the same problems as Midcow so, a 3 button module will work fine for me. ;) But before I even leave the lot, I'm taking the rear seat headrests out. That'll help a lot all on it's own.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
1st World problems Cow.... I like it!

I searched, but it sure doesn't look like Gentex makes one. All their solutions seem to have 3 buttons.

Plan A) Of course, the OBVIOUS solution is to add on a 40x80 shop at your place with 2 large rollup doors, then buy 2 of these.
View attachment 3098

Plan B) How about a WIFI solution using your smartphone? WiFi Garage Door Options- Postscapes

YMMV
What's wrong with the remote that comes with your garage door? Do people just not like the look of it?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
What's wrong with the remote that comes with your garage door? Do people just not like the look of it?
It's just easier for someone to use if they break into your car. I learned my lesson when I lived in California for work in '87. Someone broke into our car outside and opened the garage door at night. Because of the design of the place, we didn't hear it. By morning a $4,300 set of wheels and tires, and some of my tools were all MIA. I NEVER leave openers in the car anymore. Another epic crime trend when people used to have dash NAV's in their cars, was for thieves to troll long term airport parking lots... break into your car... turn on nav... push Go Home... Clean out house.

I only trust dead people. They're 100 percent predictable.

And YES, it's possible to cheat a Homelink, but a lot harder.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I thought a homelink was just like a garage door clicker except you can't hide it in an armrest/glovebox etc.. how exactly is homelink different? is it a key sequence to open garage or turn on lights?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I thought a homelink was just like a garage door clicker except you can't hide it in an armrest/glovebox etc.. how exactly is homelink different? is it a key sequence to open garage or turn on lights?
Yeah, I'm still not clear on how this is any different besides looking a bit nicer. The only cars in our household that have openers are always parked inside the garage so thieves breaking into my car to open my garage is a non-issue. If the airport thing was really an issue I can just leave the opener at home when parked at the airport.

The only thing that fixes any of these issues would be the cell phone app.

In regards to the auto-dimming mirror. Well at most you have to flip the switch twice a day. Not really a big deal IMO. Also, the auto dimming mirrors have a reaction time on the order of seconds and they automatically revert back to day mode when there's no headlights behind you so you are getting blinded when a new car appears behind you. I was not a big fan of the auto-dimming mirror personally.
@EsotericRS The car has a compass built into the instrument panel cluster.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not sure why Ford wouldn't go with matching RS blue accent lighting - it's a no-brainer, you don't have to be a design genius to think of it.

Couldn't care less about the auto-dimming rearview, I'm strong enough to flip a tab manually lol, but would sure like auto-dimming on the external driver's side mirror to reduce glare at night.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It's powered by the car.. doesn't have it's own battery. So the thief would have to rip it out and get power to it. Just one more stumbling block for them.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
28 Participants
StevenP
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing